D. Maheswara Reddy, C. Madhusudhana Chetty, Y. Dastagiri Reddy, P. Komali, B. Sri Divya, S. Sandhya Rani
D. Maheswara Reddy*, C. Madhusudhana Chetty, Y. Dastagiri Reddy, P. Komali, B. Sri Divya, S. Sandhya Rani
Santhiram College of Pharmacy, Nandyal 518501, AP, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2021
Background and objectives: Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate is a anti-retroviral agent. It is used in the treatment of HIV-1 infection in adults and pediatric patients of 2 years of age and older. It is also indicated for the treatment of chronic hepatitis-B in adults and pediatric patients 12 years of age and older. The present work is designed to prepare and evaluate mucoadhesive buccal film of Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate as a novel form of fast releasing dosage form. The objective of this study was to develop oral drug delivery system in the form of fast dissolving film which overcomes first pass metabolism and the drug achieve to specific site, for greater therapeutic action. Methods: Buccal films of Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate were prepared by solvent casting method. The prepared films were evaluated for the various evaluation parameters like thickness, surface pH, weight uniformity, content uniformity, folding endurance, swelling index, in vitro drug release study. Results: All the formulations exhibited good results for physicochemical characterizations. In in vitro drug release study, the films exhibited fast release within 5 hours. The formulation F1 (containing HPMC3cps and croscarmellose) showed no irritant effect on buccal mucosa. It was revealed that Superdisintegrants composition had significant influence on drug release. Thus, conclusion can be made that stable dosage form can be developed for Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate for fast release by buccal patches.
Cite this article:
D. Maheswara Reddy, C. Madhusudhana Chetty, Y. Dastagiri Reddy, P. Komali, B. Sri Divya, S. Sandhya Rani. Formulation and Evaluation of Fast Dissolving Buccal Patches of Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(1):225-230. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00039.1
D. Maheswara Reddy, C. Madhusudhana Chetty, Y. Dastagiri Reddy, P. Komali, B. Sri Divya, S. Sandhya Rani. Formulation and Evaluation of Fast Dissolving Buccal Patches of Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(1):225-230. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00039.1 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-1-39
1. Donald L. Wise, Hand Book of Pharmaceutical Controlled Release Technology, PP.no. 431-433.
2. Vyas and Khar, Control and Novel Drug Delivery, PP.no. 351-58.
5. Dennis J. Cada, Terri L. Levien, Danial E. Baker. Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate Tablets. Formulary Drug Reviews. 2009; 44(2): 165-178.
6. Kaur M., Rana A. C., Seth N., Fast dissolving films an innovative drug delivery system. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Allied Sciences. 2013; 2(1):14-24.
7. Dakshata A Patel, Prof. Sandip A Tadavi, Dr. Bhushan R Rane, Dr. Sunil Pawar. Formulation and Evaluation of fast mouth dissolving film of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate. Internal Journal of Advanced Research in Science Management and Technology. 2016; 2(7):1-8.
8. Ceballos A, Cirri, M, Maestrelli, F, Corti G & Mura P, influence of formulation & process variables on in-vitro release of theophylline from directly compressed Eudragit matrix tablets IL, Farmaco. 2005; 60: 913-18.