Rahul Khiste, Nilkanth Bhapkar, Nilesh Kulkarni
Rahul Khiste1*, Nilkanth Bhapkar1, Nilesh Kulkarni2
1Department Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Marathwada Mitra Mandal’s College of Pharmacy, Thergaon, Pune-411033, Maharashtra, India.
2Department of Pharmaceutics, PES Modern College of Pharmacy (For Ladies), Moshi, Pune- 421 105, Maharashtra, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2021
This review summarizes applications of Hydroxy Propyl Methyl Cellulose along with Natural polymers for the development of modified release drug delivery systems. The HPMC was available in variety of grades which show different applications in drug delivery. The various grades of HPMC utilized for the variety of action e.g. Coating agent, Adhesion promoter, Targeted release of drug etc. The modified release drug delivery system one of the highly researched field in pharmacy. Even though it is researched and various modified release formulations available in market. The developing more safer approach for drug release is still area of research, which contain easier routes, safer excipients, highly specific target selective materials. Natural polymer show very less side effects as well as it achieves the desired release of drug, so they are the choice of majority of formulations. e.g. Guar gum, Chitosan and Xanthan gum used in various drug delivery systems. Guar gum Cefapodoxime proxetil floating tablet prepared Guar gum, Xanthan gum ophthalmic preparation. Chitosan used in waste water treatment and various biomedical fields like tissue engineering, buccal drug delivery, anticancer treatment etc. Pollulan nanocrystals were studied for the anticancer drug delivery. The review solely based on HPMC-Natural polymer application in Modified release of drug. The various grades of HPMC utilized for the variety of action.
Cite this article:
Rahul Khiste, Nilkanth Bhapkar, Nilesh Kulkarni. A Review on Applications of Hydroxy Propyl Methyl Cellulose and Natural polymers for the development of modified release drug delivery systems. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(2):1163-1170. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00208.0
Rahul Khiste, Nilkanth Bhapkar, Nilesh Kulkarni. A Review on Applications of Hydroxy Propyl Methyl Cellulose and Natural polymers for the development of modified release drug delivery systems. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(2):1163-1170. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00208.0 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-2-104
1. Atul Joshi and Dr. Kamlesh Dashora, A review - modified release drug delivery system and its significance. Current Research in Biological and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2014; 3 (5): 01-06.
2. Sarika Pundir Ashutosh Badola and Deepak Sharma, Sustained release matrix technology and recent advance in matrix drug delivery system: a review. International Journal of Drug Research and Technology 2013; Vol. 3 (1): 12-20.
3. Mithilesh Kumar Jha, modified release formulations to achieve the quality target product profile (QTPP). International journal of pharmaceutical sciences and research 2012; Vol. 3 (8): 2376-2386.
4. Nalla Chandana Harish Gopinath Debjit Bhowmik Williamkeri Thirupathi Reddy, A Brief Review on sustained release matrix type drug delivery system. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2013; Vol.6 (1): 13-21.
5. Chinmaya Keshari Sahoo Surepalli Ram Mohan Rao Muvvala Sudhakar, HPMC a biomedical polymer in pharmaceutical dosage forms. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2014; Vol.8 (4): 875-881.
6. P.S Gangane, S. B. Sapkal, A.S. Welankiwar, P.S. Magar, D.V. Bhusari, Once a daily Tablet Formulation and In Vitro Evaluation of HPMC Based Intra Gastric Floating Tablet of Levofloxacin. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2015; Vol.8(4): 395-403.
7. Federico Morrealeab Raquel Garzóna Cristina M.Rosella, Understanding the role of hydrocolloids viscosity and hydration in developing gluten-free bread. A study with hydroxy propyl methyl cellulose. Food Hydrocolloids 2018; Vol. 77: 629-635.
8. Ahmet Yemenicio glu, Stefano Farris, Meltem Turkyilmaz and Sukru Gulec A review of current and future food applications of natural hydrocolloids. International Journal of Food Science and Technology 2019; 1-18.
9. Marc-André Labellea, Pompilia Ispas-Szaboa, Isabelle Masseaub, Younes Chorfic, Mircea-Alexandru Mateescu In vivo evaluation of targeted delivery of biological agents using barium Sulfate. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 2019; 1-11.
10. Mariana A. Melaj, Marta E. Daraio, Analía Vazquez Controlled release on sand bed columns and biodegradability in soil of chitosan: Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose films. Journal of Applied Polymer Science 2018; 1-9.
11. Ulla N, Khan S, Ahmed, Govender T, Faida HS, de Matas M, Shahid M Minhas MU, Sohail M, Khurram M Dexibuprofen nanocrystals with improved therapeutic performance: fabrication, characterization, in silico modeling, and in vivo evaluation. International Journal of Nanomedicine 2019; 13 1677–1692.
12. Kalyani Chithaluru, Ramarao Tadikonda, Chris Vijetha. J and K. Kalyan Kumar Kandula Effect of Various Grades of Hydroxy propyl methyl cellulose (HPMC) on Drug Release from Naproxen Sodium Matrix Tablets. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2011; Vol.4(2) :223-229.
13. Ching Mien Oh, Paul Wan Sia Heng, and Lai Wah Chan A Study on the Impact of Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose on the Viscosity of PEG Melt Suspensions Using Surface Plots and Principal Component Analysis. American Association OF Pharmaceutical Scientists 2014.
14. Faria Gias Senjoti, Syed Mahmood, Juliana Md. Jaffri and Uttam Kumar Mandal Design and In-vitro Evaluation of Sustained Release Floating Tablets of Metformin HCl Based on Effervescence and Swelling. Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research (2016); 15 (1): 53-70.
15. Gunjan Subedi, Ruby Maharjan Influence of Different Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose Polymers in Defining the Micromeretic Properties, Erosion, Drug Entrapment and Release from Tramadol Hydrochloride Microspheres. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Research 2015; Vol. 5(2): 295-316.
16. Tushar M. Patel, Mukesh C. Gohel Development of Extended Release Pellets of Quetiapine Fumarate by using HPMC and Eudragit RSPO. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2014; Vol.7(7) : 771-775.
17. Buddhadev Layek, Sanchita Mandal Natural polysaccharides for controlled delivery of oral therapeutics: a recent update. Carbohydrate Polymers 2019;1-62.
18. Priyanka Tiwari, Preeti Panthari, Deepshikha P Katare, Harsha Kharkwal Natural polymers in drug delivery. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences (2014); Vol. 3(9): 1395-1409.
19. Kusum Kaushik, Ram Babu Sharma, Shweta Agarwal Natural Polymers and their Applications. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research 2016; 30-36.
20. Sharma Diksha, Dev Dhruv, Prasad D.N., Hans Mansi Sustained Release Drug Delivery System with the Role of Natural Polymers: A review. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics 2019; 9(3): 913-923.
21. Nandkishore Thombare, Usha Jha, Sumit Mishra and M. Z. Siddiqui1 Guar Gum as a Promising Starting Material for Diverse Applications: A Review. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 2016; 1-29.
22. Jay j. Patel, Mandar Karve, Nirmal k. Patel Guar gum: a versatile material for pharmaceutical industries. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2014; Vol.6 (8) : 13-19.
23. Lei Dai, Liqiang Zhang, Baobin Wang, Bo Yang, Iqbal Khan, Avik Khan, Yonghao Ni Multifunctional self-assembling hydrogel from guar gum. Chemical Engineering Journal 2017; 1-23.
24. Girish K Jania, Dhiren P Shahb, Vipul D Prajapatia, Vineet C Jain Gums and mucilages: versatile excipients for pharmaceutical formulations (2009); Vol. 4 (5): 308-322.
25. Takahito Ando, Yoshiaki Shimoo, Masayoshi Nakasato, and Hisahiro Yoshida, Development and Clinical Evaluation of New Topical Anesthetic Formulations for Dental Care. Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin 2016; Vol. 39 (3) : 423-427.
26. Yifeng Wang, Meng Dong, Mengmeng Guo, Xia Wang, Jing Zhou, Jian Lei, Chuanhang Guo, Chaoran Qin Agar/gelatin bilayer gel matrix fabricated by simple thermo-responsive sol-gel transition method. Materials Science and Engineering C 2017 293–299.
27. Chenyao Wu, Jiulong Zhao, Fei Hu, Yuting Zheng, Hailun Yang, Shunjie Pan, Shenghua Shi, Xin Chen, Shige Design of injectable agar-based composite hydrogel for multifunctional tumor therapy. Carbohydrate Polymer 2017; 112-121.
28. Hanne Hjorth, Tønnesen, Jan Karlsen Alginate in Drug Delivery Systems. Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, 28(6), 621–630.
29. Jose M. Guisan (ed.), Immobilization of Enzymes and Cells: Third Edition, Methods in Molecular Biology, Chapter 21 Encapsulation of Cells in Alginate Gels vol. 1051
30. Elangovan Nagarajan, Dr B Rama, M Swetha, Dr G.S Sharma, Dr L Jyothi Rani, K Sudhamani, Fabrication and Characterization of Anticancer Drug Loaded Double Walled Microspheres. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics 2019; Vol. 9(4):79-85.
31. P. Nagadivya, V.R.M. Gupta, P. Vagdevi, S. Naveen Kumar, V. Sreemouni and V. Sandeep Kumar Formulation and Evaluation of Sodium Cromoglycate occuserts. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical sciences 2018; Vol.7(5):863-873.
32. Fatma Sami El-banna, Magdy Elsayed Mahfouz, Stefano Leporatti, Maged El-Kemary Nemany A. N. Hanafy Chitosan as a Natural Copolymer with Unique Properties for the Development of Hydrogels. Applied Sciences 2019.
33. P. Rajitha, Divya Gopinath, Raja Biswas, M. Sabitha, R. Jayakumar Chitosan nanoparticles in drug therapy of infectious and inflammatory diseases. Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery 2016; Vol.13(8):1177-1198.
34. Jianghua Li, Chao Cai, Jiarui Li, Jun Li, Jia Li, Tiantian Sun, Lihao Wang, Haotian Wu and Guangli Yu Chitosan-Based Nanomaterials for Drug Delivery. Molecules 2018; Vol.23(10).
35. Sarode S, Upadhyay P, Khosa M, Mak T, Shakir, Song S, Ullah A Overview of wastewater treatment methods with special focus on biopolymer chitin-chitosan. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 2018; Vol. 121:1086-1100.
36. Stefano Farris, Ilke Uysal Unalan, Laura Introzzi, Jos e Maria Fuentes-Alventosa, Carlo A. Cozzolino Pollulan-Based Films and Coatings for Food Packaging: Present Applications, Emerging Opportunities, and Future Challenges. Journal of Applied Polymer Science 2014.
37. Ram Sarup Singha, Navpreet Kaura, Vikas Ranab, John F. Kennedy Pollulan: A novel molecule for biomedical applications. Carbohydrate Polymers 2017.
38. Xi K., Tabata Y, Uno K, Yoshimoto M, Kishida T, Sokawa Y Liver targeting of interferon through Pollulan conjugation. Pharmaceutical Research (1996); 13: 1846-1850.
39. Cong Zhang, Tong An, Dan Wang, Guoyun Wan, Mingming Zhang, Hemei Wang, Sipei Zhang, Rongshan Li, Xiaoying Yang, Yinsong Wang a Stepwise pHresponsive nanoparticles containing charge-reversible Pollulan-based shells and poly(β-amino ester)/poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid) cores as carriers of anticancer drugs for combination therapy on hepatocellular carcinoma. Journal of Controlled Release 2016; Vol. 226, 193-204.
40. Sumi Banga, Eungjae Leea, Young-Gwang Koa, Won Il Kimb, Oh Hyeong Kwona Injectable Pollulan hydrogel for the prevention of postoperative tissue adhesion. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 2016; Vol. 87, 155-162.
41. Gautam Singhvi, Neha Hans, Niharika Shiva, Sunil Kumar Dubey Xanthan gum in drug delivery applications. Natural Polysaccharides in Drug Delivery and Biomedical application 2019; 121-144.
42. Sung Hyun Im, Hoe Taek Jung, Myoung Jin Ho, Jeong Eun Lee, Hyung Tae Kim, Dong Yoon Kim, Hyo Chun Lee, Yong Seok Choi, Myung Joo Kang Montelukast Nanocrystals for Transdermal Delivery with Improved Chemical Stability. Pharmaceutics 2019.
43. Rewathi R. Shiledar, Amol A. Tagalpallewar, Chandrakant R. Kokare Formulation and in vitro evaluation of xanthan gum-based bilayered mucoadhesive buccal patches of Zolmitriptan. Carbohydrate Polymers 2014; 101:1234-1242.
44. Nethaji R, Narayanan A, Palanivelu M, Surendiran NS, Ganesan B. Formulation and evaluation of metformin hydrochloride loaded mucoadhesive microspheres. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Chemical and Biological Sciences 2016; 6(2): 124-132.
45. Cao H, Martino G, Richardson P, Inventors; National Starch, Chemical Investment Holding Corp, Assignee. Use of xanthan gum as a hair fixative; June 12, 2003 [United States patent application US 09/932, 435]
46. Bharat W. Tekade, Umesh T. Jadhao, Shruti G. Patil, Vijay R. Patil Formulation and In Vitro evaluation of floating tablets of Cefpodoxim Proxetil. International Journal of Current Pharmaceutical Research 2017; Vol. 9(6) : 18-22.
47. Jagdale Swati; U. Hude, Rahul Guar Gum and HPMC Coated Colon Targeted Delivery of 6-Mercapto-Purine. The Natural Product Journal 2017; Vol.7 (1):18-29.
48. Elangovan Nagarajan, Dr B Rama, M Swetha, Dr G.S Sharma, Dr L Jyothi Rani, K Sudhamani Fabrication and Characterization of Anticancer Drug Loaded Double Walled Microspheres. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics 2019; Vol.; 9(4)):79-85.
49. Ajay kumar shukla, Ram Singh Bishnoi, Manish Kumar, C.P. Jain Development of natural and modified gum based sustained-release film-coated tablets containing poorly water-soluble drug. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, Vol. 12(3), 266-271.
50. Hriday Bera, Chakravarthy Gaini, Sanoj Kumar, Srimanta Sarkar, Shashank Boddupalli, Sohitha Reddy Ippagunta HPMC-based gastroretentive dual working matrices coated with Ca+2 ion crosslinked alginate-fenugreek gum gel membrane. Materials Science and Engineering C 2016; 170–181.
51. G. Tejada, 1 M. G. Barrera, 2 G. N. Piccirilli, M. Sortino, A. Frattini, C. J. Salomón, María C. Lamas, Darío Leonardi Development and Evaluation of Buccal Films Based on Chitosan for the Potential Treatment of Oral Candidiasis. American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists 2017; Vol.(4):936-946.
52. Jaleh Varshosaz, Somayeh Taymouri, Mohsen Minaiyan, Fatemeh Rastegarnasab Azar Baradaran Development and In vitro/in vivo evaluation of HPMC/chitosan gel containing simvastatin loaded self-assembled nanomicelles as a potent wound healing agent. Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy 2018; Vol.44(2):276-288.
53. Siddaramaiah, Pramod Kumar, K. H. Divya a, B. T. Mhemavathi a, D. S. Manjula Chitosan/HPMC Polymer Blends for Developing Transdermal Drug Delivery Systems. Journal of Macromolecular Science, Part A: Pure and Applied Chemistry 2006; Vol.43(3): 601-607.
54. Diego R. Perinelli, Raffaella Campana ID, Athanasios Skouras ID, Giulia Bonacucina, Marco Cespi, Francesca Mastrotto, Wally Baffone, Luca Casettari, Chitosan Loaded into a Hydrogel Delivery System as a Strategy to Treat Vaginal Co-Infection. Pharmaceutics. 2018.
55. Chueh-Pin Chen, Chien-Ming Hsieh, Tsuimin Tsai, Jen-Chang Yang, Chin-Tin Chen Optimization and Evaluation of a Chitosan/Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose Hydrogel Containing Toluidine Blue O for Antimicrobial Photodynamic Inactivation. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 2015; Vol. 16, 20859-20872.
56. P. Prasad, G. S. Guru, H. R. Shivakumar, K. Sheshappa Rai Miscibility, Thermal, and Mechanical Studies of Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose/ Pollulan Blends. Journal of Applied Polymer Science 2008;440-452.
57. W.A. Owusu Frederick, Mariam E. Boakye-Gyasi, Priscilla K. Mante, Edmund Ekuadzi, Kwabena Ofori-Kwakye, Eric Woode Formulation and evaluation of sustained release matrix tablets of capparis erythrocarpos roots extract to improve patient compliance in management of arthritis. Scientific African 2019.