P. Priyanka, S. Harika, MD. Wajid, Y. Shravan Kumar
P. Priyanka1, S. Harika2, MD. Wajid3, Y. Shravan Kumar4*
1Department of Pharmaceutics, Vaagdevi College of Pharmacy Affiliated by Kakatiya University, Warangal 506003, India.
2Vaagdevi Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences Affiliated by Kakatiya University, Telangana, Warangal 506003, India.
3Vaagdevi College of Pharmacy Affiliated by Kakatiya University, Telangana, Warangal 506002, India.
4Department of Pharmaceutics, Vaagdevi College of Pharmacy, R&D Head Magnificent Cosmo Cosmoceuticals, Telangana, Warangal 506003, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2021
The objective of the study was to prepare semisolid capsules of poorly water-soluble drug Carvedilol using a combination of technologies involving solid dispersion preparation and converting it into semisolid matrix filled in hard gelatin capsule. Different excipients like Gelucire44/14, poloxamer188, gelatin, PVPK30, PEG6000 were used. Fifteen capsule formulations were prepared and assessed for their release characteristics. Lipid matrix formulations prepared with increasing amount of polymer showed a substantial decrease in release rate of drug in case of poloxamer188Whereas gelucire 44/14, gelatin, PVPK30, and PEG6000 showed immediate release the mechanism of drug release from the test formulations were studied. The possible modification of carvedilol release kinetics by using poloxamer in the SSM was studied. results indicate that poloxamer188 is an appropriate carrier for the development of sustained release drug delivery systems and Gelucire44/14 a highly hydrophilic and lipophilic balance (HLB) excipient, acts as release enhancer in the different ratios studied. Among all the formulations Carvedilol formulation with poloxamer188 in the ratio of (1:3) showed sustained release. Release kinetics studies were performed. The formulation with poloxamer in 1:3 ratio follows first order and Higuchi order release kinetics governed by Fickian diffusion mechanism with R2 value 0.992.
Cite this article:
P. Priyanka, S. Harika, MD. Wajid, Y. Shravan Kumar. Formulation and Evaluation of Carvedilol Sustained Release Capsules by Semisolid Matrix Filling Technique. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(2):752-756. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00131.1
P. Priyanka, S. Harika, MD. Wajid, Y. Shravan Kumar. Formulation and Evaluation of Carvedilol Sustained Release Capsules by Semisolid Matrix Filling Technique. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(2):752-756. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00131.1 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-2-27
1. Punitha S, Srinivasa Reddy G, Srikrishna T, Lakshman Kumar M. Solid Dispersions: A Review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 4(3): 2011; 331-334.
2. Mukund G Tawar , Pawar M D, P D Chaudhari. Development and Evaluation of Tramadol Hydrochloride Sustained Release Tablet. Research J. Pharm. and Tech.2 (3): 2009; 470-473.
3. Prabhakara P, Harish NM, Gulzar Ahmed M, Narayana Charyulu R, Santhosh P, Satyanarayana D, Subrahmanyam EVS. Formulation and In Vitro Evaluation of Sustained Release Tablets of Domperidone. Research J. Pharm. and Tech.2 (2): 2009; 358-362.
4. Gupta Khemchand, Singhvi I., Ashawat M.S., Gupta Santosh Kumar. Formulation of Sustained Release Matrix Tablets of Diclofenac Sodium Using New Hydrophilic Gum Blends. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 4(8): 2011; 1240-1245.
5. Gupta, M., and Brijesh, R. A Review on: Sustained Release Technology. International Journal of Therapeutic Applications. 8: 2012; 18–23.
6. Ramesh V Shinde, Pawar Jaydip B, Kadam Sagar D, Landge Dhananjay A, Rahul Ahirrao, Kulkarni Vaishali , Patil VG, Pawar Gitanjali R. Development and In Vitro Evaluation of Sustained Release Matrix Tablet Formulations of Metoprolol Tartrate. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 3(2): 2010; 512-517.
7. Srivastava A. Formulation and Evaluation of Tizanidine sustained release matrix tablets using hydroxy propyl methy cellulose. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2012 1;3(9):3237.
8. Alli, P., Alli, P. R., Bargaje, P. B., and Mhaske, N. S. Sustained Release Drug Delivery System: A Modern Formulation Approach. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Technology and Innovation. 4(17): 2016.
9. Stafylas, P. C., and Sarafidis, P. A. Carvedilol in hypertension treatment. Vascular Health and Risk Management. 4(1): 2008; 23–30.
10. Thimmasetty J, Pandey GS, Babu PR. Design and in vivo evaluation of carvedilol buccal mucoadhesive patches. Pakistan journal of pharmaceutical sciences. 2008; 1;21(3).
11. Tyagi, V. K., Singh, D., and Pathak, K. Semisolid matrix-filled hard gelatin capsules for rapid dissolution of amlodipine besilate: Development and assessment. Journal of Advanced Pharmaceutical Technology and Research. 4(1): 2013; 42–9.
12. Senthilnathan B, Rupenagunta A. Formulation development and evaluation of venlafaxine hydrochloride orodispersible tablets. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 20111;2(4):913.
13. S.S. Chitlange, G. R. Pawbake, S.V. Pandkar, S.B. Wankhede. Formulation and Evaluation of Diacerein Solid Dispersion for Solubility and Dissolution Rate Enhancement. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 4(6): 2011; 932-937.
14. Hajare AA, Shetty YT, Mali MN, Sarvagod SM. Characterization of Melt (Fusion) Solid Dispersions of Nifedipine. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 1(3): 2008; 230-234.
15. Shaikh Mohammed Vasim, Rahul Thube. Solubility Enhancement of Aceclofenac by Hot Melt Solid Dispersion Technique. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 4(8): 2011; 1307-1310.
16. Nidhi Mishra, Shikha Srivastava. Characterization and Solubility Enhancement of Etoricoxib in Solid Dispersion Systems Using Lipid Carriers Gelucire 44/14. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 3(2): 2010; 578-582.
17. Srikanth P, Hemalatha S, Satyanarayana S. Formulation and Evaluation of Floating Capsules of Diltiazem Hydrochloride Prepared by Semisolid Matrix Filling Technology. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2018 1;12(4):281-7.
18. Shireesha G, Harika S, and Shravan Kumar Y. Formulation and Evaluation of Metoprolol Tartrate Sustained Release Matrix Tablets. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2019 12(5):4665-71.
19. Zain Mhanna, Wehad Ibrahim, Tamim Hammad. Formulation and evaluation of extended release hard capsules of Furosemide. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 9(3): 2016; 219-226.
20. Siddique, S., Khanam, J., and Bigoniya, P. Development of sustained release capsules containing andquot;coated matrix granules of metoprolol tartrateandquot;. AAPS PharmSciTech, 11(3): 1306–14.
21. Ahmed A, Abdelhafez WA, Ismail A, Kassem AA. Effect of different hydrophilic polymers (poloxamers) on the dissolution rate of BSC class II antigout drug (Febuxostat).
22. Betageri GV. Self-emulsifying Drug Delivery Systems and their Marketed Products: A Review. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics (AJP): Free full text articles from Asian J Pharm. 2019;13(02).