Rana R. Abed, Abeer S. Mohammed, Fadia J. Ahmed
Rana R. Abed*, Abeer S. Mohammed, Fadia J. Ahmed
Department of Chemistry, College of Education of Pure Science, University of Mosul, Mosul, Iraq.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 9,
Year - 2021
A New Schiff base (o-hydroxy benzylidene trimethoprim) derived from trimethoprim (known as a drug) was used as a ligand in this study, has been synthesized by condensation reaction from equal amounts of ortho hydroxybenzaldehyde and trimethoprim. This was then used for the preparation of new complexes by the reaction with Zinc and Manganese salts. The synthesized complexes were in the formula [M(OHTMP)2]X2 in the natural medium and [M(OHTMP)2-H] in basic medium (M=Zn, Mn, OHTMP = o-hydroxy benzylidene trimethoprim X= CH3COO, NO3, Cl2). The prepared complexes were diagnosed and characterized by employing FT-IR, 1H- NMR, CHN element analysis, molar conductivity, Molar refraction and flame atomic absorption techniques. Spectroscopic results proved the chelation behavior of this ligand. It coordinated to the metal ions as a tridentate ligand, via the imine nitrogen, azo methine, and phenolic oxygen atoms. According to the obtained results, octahedral geometry has been suggested for prepared complexes. The biological activities of the prepared ligand and complexes against Gram-positive bacteria (Staphylococcus aureus), Gram-negative bacteria (Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Klebsiella spp.) have being conducted. Both, the ligand and complexes showed anti-bacterial activities, beter than that of the Trimethoprim.
Cite this article:
Rana R. Abed, Abeer S. Mohammed, Fadia J. Ahmed. Synthesis and Diagnoses of New Metal Ions Complexes derived from Trimethoprim Schiff Bases. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(9):4963-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00863
Rana R. Abed, Abeer S. Mohammed, Fadia J. Ahmed. Synthesis and Diagnoses of New Metal Ions Complexes derived from Trimethoprim Schiff Bases. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(9):4963-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00863 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-9-77
1. Basim. H, Mohammed. M, Ahmad. U. New complexes of chelating Schiff base: Synthesis, spectral investigation, antimicrobial, and thermal behavior studies. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science. 2019 April; 9(04): 045-057.
2. Shizong. W, Jianlong. W. Trimethoprim degradation by Fenton and Fe(II)- activated persulfate processes. Chemosphere. 2018 Jan; (191): 97-105
3. Mohammad. M, Kuddushi. Y, Mohammed. A, Malek. H, Vinod L. Patidar. M, Patel. S, Roma. Kand Rohit. H. et al. Synthesis and characterization of Schiff Base aniline with 5-bromo-2-hydroxyl benzaldehyde and their metal complexes. International Journal of Recent Scientific Research. 2018 April; 9 (4); 26026-26030.
4. Hui. Yu, Zhang. W, Qing. Yu, Fu-Ping. H, He-Dong. B, and Hong. Li. Ni(II) Complexes with Schiff Base Ligands: Preparation, Characterization, DNA/Protein Interaction and Cytotoxicity Studies. Journal Molecules. 2017 Oct; (22): 177 2.
5. Sadia. A, Farhana. A, Saddam. H, Nuruzzaman . K, Zakaria,. K and Mahasin. A. A short review on chemistry of Schiff base metal complexes and their catalytic application. International Journal of Chemical Studies. 2018 April; 6(3): 2859-2866.
6. Świderski. G, Świsłocka. R, Łyszczek. R, Wojtulewski. S, Samsonowicz M, Lewandowski. W. Thermal, spectroscopic, X-ray and theoretical studies of metal complexes (sodium, manganese, copper, nickel, cobalt and zinc) with pyrimidine-5-carboxylic and pyrimidine-2-carboxylic acids. Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry . 2019 September; (138): 2813–2837.
7. Kartina1. D, Wahab1. A W, Ahmad1. A, Irfandi1. R, Raya1. I.In vitro antibacterial and anticancer activity of Zn(II) Valine dithio carbamate complexes. Journal of Physics: Conference Series; 2019: 1341.( 3).
8. Vogel, A. I . Practical Organic Chemistry. 3rd Ed. London. Longman Green,, 1964. 722.
9. Jai Devi, Manju.Y, Anil. K, Ashwani. K, Synthesis, characterization, biological activity, and QSAR studies of transition metal complexes derived from piperonylamine Schiff bases. Springer Nature. 2018 May; 72: 2479-2502
10. Collins. C, Lyne. P, Grange. J. Microbiological Methods.. London. CRC Press; 8th Ed. 2004 March.:409
11. Ling-Wei.X, Hui-Jie. Z, Pan-Pan.W. Synthesis, Crystal Structures, and Antimicrobial Activity of Zinc(II) and Manganese(II) Complexes Derived from N’-(1-(Pyridin-2-yl) Ethylidene) Isonicotinohydrazide. Acta Chimica Slovenica; 2018 Feb; 66(1): 190-195
12. Geary. W. J. Use of conductivity measurements inorganic solvents for the characterization of coordination compounds. Coord. Chem. Rev. Sheffield England. Sheffield Polytechnic 1971; 7 th ed: 81-122.
13. Kulaksizoğlu. S, Gökce. C, Güp. R. Synthesis and characterization of bis(azine) ligands and metal complexes: DNA-interaction and extraction properties for metals and dichromate anions. Turk. J. Chem. 2012 Oct; (36 ): 717–733
14. Goel. A. Surface Chemistry. India New Delhi, Discovery Publishing House; 2006. 231
15. Ern¨o. P, Martin . B, Philippe. B. Structure Determination of Organic Compounds Tables of Spectral Data, Berlin Heidelberg. Library of Congress. Springer-Verlag . 2009; 4th Ed, 52 – 84.
16. Nakamoto. K. Infrared and Raman Spectra of Inorganic and Coordination Compound., New York. 1976; 3rd Ed., 166-322.
17. Muzammil. K, Deesha. K, Pranav. T. Synthesis and Characterization of Schiff base m-nitro aniline and their complexes. Research Journal of Chemical Sciences. 2015 April; 5(5): 52- 55.
18. Jawetz. E, Melnick. J L, Adelberg. EA. Review of Medical Microbiology. Middle East Ed. Appleton and Lamage; Libieividu Liban. 1987; 17th Ed, 71-73, 136.
19. Iglesias. A. L, Miranda-Soto. V, Pompa-Monroy. D. A., Martínez-Ortiz. J. G., Díaz-Trujillo. G. C. and Villarreal-Gómez. l. J. Biological Activity of New Schiff Base Compounds Derived from Substituted 3-Aminopyrazoles, the Role of Pyrazole on Bioactivity. Indian J Pharm Sci. 2019 Feb; 81(2): 333-343