Gayatri Joshi, Abhishek Tiwari, Prashant Upadhyay, Varsha Tiwari
Gayatri Joshi1*, Abhishek Tiwari1, Prashant Upadhyay2, Varsha Tiwari1
1Faculty of Pharmacy, Pharmacy Academy, IFTM University, Lodhipur Rajput, Delhi Road, NH-24, Moradabad, U.P. 244102.
2School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, IFTM University Moradabad.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2022
Aim: The conventional herbal extract of plant Eleoacarpus ganitrus have excellent in vitro bioactivity, but have poor effectiveness in vivo or in animal models, hence there is need for the development and evaluation of nano herbosomes of herbal extract. Material and method: Formulation of Herbosomes extract was prepared by using different ratio of Soya lecithin and cholesterol (F1 to F10). The method was selected on the basis of entrapment efficiency and availability of lab facility the best method was solvent evaporation method. Fourier-transform infrared study was performed to find out compatibilities between drug and polymers. Herbosomes was successfully prepared evaluated for drug content, drug entrapment, size, zeta potential, TEM, in-vitro drug release and in-vitro kinetics. Result: FTIR study shows no interaction between polymer and drug. Drug content and drug entrapment of optimized formulation F9 was found to be 93.6 % and 72 % with vesicle size 264.1 nm. In vitro release of herbosomes optimized formulation F9 show 80.33% release in 12 hr. in a sustained release pattern. The synergistic effect determined by free radical scavenging activity of herbosomal suspension by hydrogen peroxide model. In conclusion, herbosomes successfully prepared and encapsulated. It show extended release pattern with enhanced free radical scavenging activity by hydrogen peroxide model. The study shows that phospholipid-based herbosomes is a promising and viable strategy for improving the delivery of HS and similar phytoconstituents with low aqueous solubility.
Cite this article:
Gayatri Joshi, Abhishek Tiwari, Prashant Upadhyay, Varsha Tiwari. Development and evaluation of nano herbosomes of Eleocarpus ganitrus for antioxidant activity. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(1):97-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00017
Gayatri Joshi, Abhishek Tiwari, Prashant Upadhyay, Varsha Tiwari. Development and evaluation of nano herbosomes of Eleocarpus ganitrus for antioxidant activity. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(1):97-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00017 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-1-17
1. Serhat K, Sait C, Semra T, Ökkes Y and Ismail T. Hydrogen Peroxide Radical Scavenging and Total Antioxidant Activity of Hawthorn Chem J. 2012; 2(01): 9-12.
2. Keser, S., Celik, S., Turkoglu, S., Yilmaz, O., and Turkoglu, I. Determination of antioxidant capacities of ethanol and water extracts of Achillea millefolium Asian J of Chem. 2011;23: 3172-3176.
3. Tripathy Surendra, Patel K Dilip, Baro Lipika, Nair K Suresh A Review on Phytosomes Characterization, Advancement& potential for transdermal application. J Drug Delv & Therapeu. 2013; 3(3): 147-152.
4. Shankar B.Gopi, P.Naveen, B. Chiranjeeb, Gouda T.S. Phytosome: A Novel Drug Delivery System for improving bioavailability of Herbal Medicine”, Int. J of Pharm. Res. and Dev. 2011; 3(6):175-184.
5. Rathore P, Swami G. “Planterosomes: A Potential Phyto-Phospholipid Carriers for the Bioavailability Enhancement of Herbal Extracts Int J of Pharma sci and res. 2012; 3(3):737-755.
6. Sarita Karole, Girendra Kumar Gautam and Shailesh Gupta. Preparation and evaluation of phytosomes containing ethanolic extract of leaves of Bombax ceiba for hepatoprotective activity, The Pharma Innov J. 2013; 8(2): 22-26.
7. Sharma A, Sharma J, Kaur R, Saini V. Development and characterization of in situ oral gel of spiramycin Bio Med Res Int. 2014;3(8):876-182.
8. Pande SD, Wagh AS, Bhagure LB, Patil SG, Deshmukh AR Preparation and evaluation of phytosomes of Pomegrane peels. Int J Pharm Tech Res. 2014; 8(4):416-22.
9. Mishra GP, Vyash L, Survanshi L, Joshi HM. Preparation and evaluation of phytosomes of Vitex negundolinn. Novel Sci Int J Pharm Sci novel sci. 2012; 9(10):671-73.
10. Karimi N, Babak G, Hamed Het al. Phytosome and Liposome: The beneficial encapsulation systems in drug delivery and food application. J Appl Food Biotechnol. 2015; 2(3):17-27.
11. More, M.S., Shende, M.A., Kolhe, D.B. and Jaiswal, N.M. Herbosomes: herbo-phospholipid complex an approach for absorption enhancement. Int. J. Bio. Pharm Res 2012; 3(8):946-955.
12. Kaur H, Ioyee S, Garg R Formulation and evaluation of in-situ ocular gel of gatifloxacin. Int J Pharm Res Health Sci 2016; 4: 1365-70.
13. Shenoy, R, Shirwaikar, A. Anti inflammatory and free radical scavenging studies of Hyptissua veolens (Labiatae). Indian Drugs 2002; 39(11): 574-577.
14. Halliwell, B. Free radicals and antioxidants: updating a personal view. Nutrition Reviews 2012; 70(5):257-265.
15. Huang, D, Ou, B., Prior, R.L. The chemistry behind antioxidant capacity assays. J Agri Food Chem. 2005; 53(6): 1841-1856.
16. Singh JV, Singh SJ, Sharma AK, Mehra GR, Sharma A Kumar JR. Design, Formulation and in vitro Drug Release from Transdermal Patches containing Nebivolol Hydrochloride as Model Drug. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2012; 2(4): 136-141.
17. Ghadge D, Yadav Adhikrao, Gharge Varsha. Design and Development of Solid Self-Micro emulsifying Drug Delivery of Gefitinib. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2018; 8 (4):193-199.
18. Salve PS. Development and in vitro evaluation of gas generating floating tablets of metformin hydrochloride. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2011; 1(4): 105-112.
19. Waghmare SS., Kadam T. V, Darekar A.B, Saudagar R B. A Review: Floatable Gastroretentive Drug Delivery System. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2015; 5(1): 51-60.
20. Namdeo GS, Nagesh H. Aloorkar, Ajit S. Kulkarni. Recent Advances in Vesicular Drug Delivery System. Res. J. Pharm. Dosage Form. and Tech. 2014; 6(2): 110-120.
21. Priyanga R, Vadakkenchery SH, Palanisamy UM, Suman T, Natesan G. Phytochemical Analysis and Evaluation of In vitro Antioxidant and Anti-urolithiatic Potential of various fractions of Clitoria ternatea L. Blue Flowered Leaves. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2019; 9(2): 67-76.
22. Tiwari p. Phenolics and Flavonoids and Antioxidant Potential of Balarishta Prepared by Traditional and Modern Methods. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2014; 4(1): 05-10.
23. Muthukumaran P, Shanmuganathan P, Malathi C. In Vitro Antioxidant Evaluation of Mimosa pudica. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2011; 1(2): 44-46.
24. Valli G, Jeyalakshmi M. Preliminary Phytochemical and Antioxidant Study of Odina woodier Leaf Extract. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2012; 2(4):153-155.
25. Ratnasooriya WD, Pathirana RN, Gamage RNN, Hasanthi KB, Hettihewa SK. In vitro sunscreen activity of Methanol root extract of a Sri Lankan grass Heteropogon contortus. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2018; 8(2):65-68.