Roja Rani Budha, Santhrani Thaakur, GSN Koteswara Rao, Lavanya Yaidikar, M. Sathish Kumar, Ravi Manne
Roja Rani Budha1*, Santhrani Thaakur1, GSN Koteswara Rao2, Lavanya Yaidikar3, M. Sathish Kumar4, Ravi Manne5
1Institute of Pharmaceutical Technology, Sri Padmavathi Mahila Visvavidyalayam, Tirupati, A.P., 517502, India.
2Department of Pharmacy, School of Medical and Allied Sciences, Galgotias University, Greater Noida, U.P. 203201.
3Department of Pharmacology, Seven Hills College of Pharmacy, Tirupati, A.P., 517561, India.
4Department of Pharmacology, Bapatla College of Pharmacy, Bapatla, A.P., 522101, India.
5Department of QA & QC, Chemtex Inc., Texas, 77642, USA.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2022
Diabetes is the most prevailing health disorder with high mortality rate and showing increased health costs across the globe. World Health Organization has claimed that lifestyle changes are one of the major causes of diabetes in this modern living. Gliclazide is an oral antidiabetic drug that is taken by majority of patients suffering with type-2 diabetes. With the increased awareness of nutraceuticals in health care management, many patients are consuming them. Hence, in the present investigation it is sought to determine the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic interactions of gliclazide with eugenol in diabetic induced rabbits. Streptozotocin was used for inducing diabetes in healthy rabbits. Four different groups, each with 6 rabbits, are taken in the study. Group A is diabetic control, Group B is treated with gliclazide alone, Group C is treated with eugenol alone and Group D is treated with combination of gliclazide and eugenol. The results clearly indicated that there is an advantage in both pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic parameters with combination therapy of gliclazide and eugenol in diabetic rabbits.
Cite this article:
Roja Rani Budha, Santhrani Thaakur, GSN Koteswara Rao, Lavanya Yaidikar, M. Sathish Kumar, Ravi Manne. Influence of Eugenol on the Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics of Gliclazide in rabbits. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(2):787-1. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00131
Roja Rani Budha, Santhrani Thaakur, GSN Koteswara Rao, Lavanya Yaidikar, M. Sathish Kumar, Ravi Manne. Influence of Eugenol on the Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics of Gliclazide in rabbits. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(2):787-1. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00131 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-2-51
1. Ament PW, Bertolino JG, Liszewski JL. Clinically significant drug interactions. Am. Fam.Phys. 2000; 61, pp. 1745–1754.
2. Alfaro CL, Piscitelli SC. Drug Interactions. In Principles of Clinical Pharmacology; Atkinson AJ, Daniels CE, Dedrick RL, Grudyinllas CU, Markey SP, Eds; Academic Press: San Diego, CA, USA, 2001; pp. 167–180.
3. Anastasio GD, Cornell KO, Menscer D. Drug interactions: Keeping it straight. Am. Fam. Phys. 1997; 56, pp. 883–894.
4. Wright JM. Drug Interactions. In Melmon and Marrelli’s Clinical Pharmacology Basic Principles in Therapeutics, 4th ed.; Carruthors SG, Hoffman BB, Melmon KL, Nierenberg DW, Eds; McGrow- Hill: New York, NY, USA, 2000; pp. 1257–1266.
5. Jagadeesan M, Manikandan R, Nandamuri SSS. The Drug-Drug Interactions: Affecting the Rationality of Prescriptions. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(7): 3077-3080.
6. Chitra Jose, Monica Antony, Jyothi Goutham Kumar, Maheswari C, Venkatanarayanan R, Sam Johnson, U.C.J. Conceptual and Practical Update on Drug-Drug Interactions. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2016; 9(1): 60-68.
7. Spandana A, Ranjith A, Vani T, Vinay KT, Yuva SSA. Assessment and Evaluation of Drug-Drug Interactions in an Intensive Care unit of a Tertiary Care Hospital and Clinical Pharmacist’s Intervention Strategies. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(8): 3613-3618.
8. Hohl CM, Dankoff J, Colacone A, Afilalo M. Polyparmacy adverse drug-related events, and potential adverse drug interactions in elderly patients presenting to an emergency department. Ann. Emerg. Med. 2001; 38, 666–671.
9. MA Hakeem, Siddiqui, Roshan S. Pharmacokinetic Drug Interactions between HMG-COA Reductase Inhibitors Fluvastatin with Concomitantly administered Ticagrelor. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(1): 179-182.
10. Rajanikanta S, Tapas KM, Bharat BS. Drug Interaction Potential of Tinospora cordifolia: A Review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(11): 5179-5183.
11. https://www.who.int/health-topics/diabetes (accessed on 30 September 2019)
12. Sankar V, Saaed Y, Joseph RM, Azizi H, Thomas PM. Serious Drug-Drug Interactions in the Prescriptions of Diabetic Patients. Med. Sci. 2015; 3(4): 93-103.
13. Mapara M, Thomas BS, Bhat KM. Rabbit as an animal model for experimental research. Dental Res. J. 2012; 9(1), 111–118.
14. Kay L Stewart, Mark A. Suckow. Effects of Nominal Differences in Cage Height and Floor Space on the Wellbeing of Rabbits. J. Am. Assoc. Lab. Anim. Sci. 2016; 55(2): 168-171.
15. Dixon LM, Hardiman JR, Cooper JJ. The effects of spatial restriction on the behavior of rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus). J. Vet. Behav. 2010; 5: 302-308.
16. Murthy TEGK, Candasamy M. Influence of irbesartan on the pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics of gliclazide in rats and rabbits. Journal of Pre-Clinical and Clinical Research, 2008; 2(2): 127-132.
17. Murthy TEGK, Mayuren C, Krishna MSR, Reddy TPK. Study of interaction between amlodipine besylate and gliclazide in healthy rats. Int. J. Pharm. Biol. Sci. 2008; 2(1): 139-142.
18. Satyanarayana S, Eswar KK. Influence of nicorandil on the pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics of gliclazide in rats and rabbits. Mol. Cell. Biochem. 2006; 291: 101-105.
19. Sekhar MC, Reddy PJ. Influence of atorvastatin on the pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic activity of repaglinide in rats and rabbits. Mol. Cell. Biochem. 2012; 364(1-2): 159-64.
20. Roja Rani B, Santhrani T, Koteswara Rao GSN, Umasankar K, Rajasekhar Reddy A, Umasankar G. Bioanalytical estimation of gliclazide in rabbit plasma by RP-HPLC: Method development and validation. Int. J. Life Sci. Pharm. Res. 2019; SP10: 13-19.
21. Srilakshmi N, Umasankar K, GSN Koteswara Rao, Siva Prasad P, Rajasekhar Reddy A. Antidiabetic Activity of Chrozophora rottleri leaves extracts in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Int. J. Pharm. Res. 2019; 11(4): 978-988.
22. Kiran Kumar MV, Sandhya V, GSN Koteswara Rao. Evaluation of anti-diabetic and anti-hyperlipidemic activity of Psidium guajava seeds in type-2 diabetic rats. World J. Pharm. Sci. 2019; 7(2): 133-136.
23. Surendran Vijayaraj, Anoop Singh, Kokilam Perumal Sampathkumar. Pharmacokinetic Study of Oxime Prodrug of Gliclazide by LC-MS/MS Method in Rabbit Plasma. Asian J. Research Chem. 2015; 8(5): 351-357.
24. TE Gopala Krishna Murthy, C Mayuren. Pharmacokinetics of Gliclazide Alone and in Combination with Irbesartan in Rabbits. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2008; 1(4): 418-421.
25. TE Gopala Krishna Murthy, C Mayuren. Effect of Ramipril on the Pharmacodynamics of Gliclazide in Diabetic Rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2009; 2(1): 120-122.
26. Srinivasa Reddy, Anandan Pattabi, Arvind Kumar, Sreedevi Rajpurohit, Arindam Mukhopadhyay, Saral Thangam. Estimation of Gliclazide in Human Plasma by LCMS/MS. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2013; 6(9): 985-989.
27. Subhashis Debnath, T. H. Harish Kumar. An Overview on Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacokinetic Modeling. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2020; 10(2): 124-130.