Ahmed R. Gardouh, Ahmed M. Nasef, Yasser Mostafa, Shadeed Gad
Ahmed R. Gardouh1,2*, Ahmed M. Nasef3, Yasser Mostafa4, Shadeed Gad1
1Department of Pharmaceutics and Industrial Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Suez Canal University, Ismailia, 41522, Egypt.
2Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Faculty of Pharmacy, Jadara University, 21110 Irbid, Jordan.
3Production Department, Medical Union Pharmaceutical (MUP) Co., Ismailia, 41617, Egypt.
4Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Suez Canal University, Ismailia, 41522, Egypt.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 6,
Year - 2022
The main purpose of this study was to develop and evaluate solid self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery systems (S-SNEDDs) of Atorvastatin/ Ezetimibe combination to combine the advantages of liquid SNEDDs with those of solid dosage forms and investigate the effect of solidification on both lipid lowering efficiency and the ability to enhance oral bioavailability of included poorly water soluble drugs. Spray dried solid powder was prepared using Aerosil 200 based on its high adsorption capacity and the ratio of liquid SNEDDs: Aerosil was (4:1) due to the smaller droplet size produced after reconstitution compared to other ratios. Surface morphology characteristics and drug-excipients interactions were evaluated via Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) and Fourier Transformed Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR). Crystallinity nature affect drug dissolution so, it was determined by Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC) and Powder X-ray Diffraction (PXRD). Pharmacokinetic study investigated the ability of (S-SNEDDS) to improve oral bioavailability of included drugs while, pharmacodynamic study evaluate its efficiency to control serum cholesterol levels compared to pure drugs suspension and liquid SNEDDs. Solid spray dried powder showed very good flowability (3.41±0.23g/s) and rapid dispersion in water with maintaining the self-emulsifying efficiency of liquid formula. Physicochemical evaluation of powder showed spherical separated particles with no significant drug-excipients interactions and drugs are molecularly dispersed or in amorphous state that improve dissolution rate as proven by in-vitro release studies. Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic studies proved that the solidification process had no remarkable effect on the efficiency of liquid formula to enhance oral bioavailability of incorporated drugs and control serum cholesterol level compared to pure drugs suspension. S-SNEDDS was proved as efficient candidate to improve oral bioavailability of Atorvastatin / Ezetimibe combination and control cholesterol serum levels.
Cite this article:
Ahmed R. Gardouh, Ahmed M. Nasef, Yasser Mostafa, Shadeed Gad. Impact on HDL and LDL of Hyperlipidemic Rat Models: Designed Solid Self-Nanoemulsifying Drug Delivery Systems with Atorvastatin and Ezetimibe combination. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(6):2459-9. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00411
Ahmed R. Gardouh, Ahmed M. Nasef, Yasser Mostafa, Shadeed Gad. Impact on HDL and LDL of Hyperlipidemic Rat Models: Designed Solid Self-Nanoemulsifying Drug Delivery Systems with Atorvastatin and Ezetimibe combination. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(6):2459-9. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00411 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-6-15
1. Mozaffarian D, Benjamin EJ, Go AS, et al. Heart Disease and Stroke Statistics-2016 Update: A Report From the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2016 Jan 26;133(4):e38-360.
2. Rani NU, Keerthana K, Mitha M, Kumar S, Kotamma K, Kiran T. New Spectroscopic Method for Estimation of Atorvastatin Tablets Using Hydrotropic Solubilization Technique. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2015; 5:100-4.
3. Weng TC, Yang YH, Lin SJ, Tai SH. A systematic review and meta-analysis on the therapeutic equivalence of statins. Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics. 2010 Apr;35(2):139-51.
4. Hamilton-Craig I, Kostner K, Colquhoun D, Woodhouse S. Combination therapy of statin and ezetimibe for the treatment of familial hypercholesterolemia. Vascular Health and Risk Management. 2010; 6:1023-37.
5. Karanam SR, Katakam P, Chandu BR, Hwisa NT, Adiki SK. Simultaneous determination of ezetimibe and simvastatin in rat plasma by stable-isotope dilution LC-ESI–MS/MS and its application to a pharmacokinetic study. Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2014 Aug;4(4):286-94.
6. R Siva Kumar MS, P Kumar Nallasivan. Simultaneous RP-HPLC Method for Estimation of Ezetimibe and Simvastatin in Bulk and Dosage Forms. Research J Pharm and Tech July-Sept. 2008;1(3):211-4.
7. Kim JS, Kim MS, Park HJ, Jin SJ, Lee S, Hwang SJ. Physicochemical properties and oral bioavailability of amorphous atorvastatin hemi-calcium using spray-drying and SAS process. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2008 Jul 9;359(1-2):211-9.
8. M. Nagajyothi KP, E.N. Bijin, Jomon N. Baby. Nanoemulsified System of a Poorly Water Soluble Drug. Res J Pharm Dosage Form & Tech July-Sept., 2015;3(7):169-74.
9. Vaculikova E, Grunwaldova V, Kral V, Dohnal J, Jampilek J. Preparation of candesartan and atorvastatin nanoparticles by solvent evaporation. Molecules (Basel, Switzerland). 2012 Nov 6;17(11):13221-34.
10. Ballantyne CM, Houri J, Notarbartolo A, et al. Effect of ezetimibe coadministered with atorvastatin in 628 patients with primary hypercholesterolemia: a prospective, randomized, double-blind trial. Circulation. 2003 May 20;107(19):2409-15.
11. R. G. Maskare NHI, R. A. Deshmukh, et al. Nanoemulsions: Increasing Possibilities in Oral Drug Delivery. Asian J Pharm Tech. 2021;11(1):53-8.
12. Dinesh Pardhi US, Pravin Suruse Liquisolid Technique for Solubility Enhancement of Poorly Water Soluble Drugs. Research J Pharma. 2010;2(5):314-22.
13. Jagdish Kumar Arun RV, Birendra Shrivastava. Self Nano Emulsifying Drug Delivery System: A Novel Technique for Enhancement of Oral Bioavailability. Research J Pharm and Tech. 2020;13(5):2516-21.
14. Savla R, Browne J, Plassat V, Wasan KM, Wasan EK. Review and analysis of FDA approved drugs using lipid-based formulations. Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy. 2017 Nov;43(11):1743-58.
15. Tarate B, Chavan R, Bansal AK. Oral solid self-emulsifying formulations: a patent review. Recent Patents on Drug Delivery & Formulation. 2014;8(2):126-43.
16. Vinod Kumar Yadav BV, Hemanth Kumar S. Design, Development and Evaluation of Solid Form of Liquid Self-Nanoemulsifying Formulation for improving the Oral Bioavailability of Itraconazole. Research J Pharm and Tech. 2020;13(6):2639-46.
17. Tang B, Cheng G, Gu JC, Xu CH. Development of solid self-emulsifying drug delivery systems: preparation techniques and dosage forms. Drug Discovery Today. 2008 Jul;13(13-14):606-12.
18. Gardouh AR, Nasef AM, Mostafa Y, Gad S. Design and evaluation of combined atorvastatin and ezetimibe optimized self- nano emulsifying drug delivery system. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology. 2020 2020/12/01/; 60:102093.
19. Rajesh SY, Singh SK, Pandey NK, et al. Impact of various solid carriers and spray drying on pre/post compression properties of solid SNEDDS loaded with glimepiride: in vitro-ex vivo evaluation and cytotoxicity assessment. Drug Dev Ind Pharm. 2018 Jul;44(7):1056-69.
20. Dharankar SD, Parakh DR, Patil MP, Kshirsagar SJ. Spray-Dried Solid Self-Emulsifying Delivery System of Ketoprofen: Development and Its Characterization. Drying Technology. 2015 2015/11/18;33(15-16):2002-11.
21. Rios M. Developments in powder flow testing. Pharmaceutical Technology. 2006 05/01; 30:38-49.
22. Sarraguça MC, Cruz AV, Soares SO, Amaral HR, Costa PC, Lopes JA. Determination of flow properties of pharmaceutical powders by near infrared spectroscopy. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 2010 2010/08/01/;52(4):484-92.
23. Rani T Neelima DNKD, Rani A. Prameela, et al. Formulation and Evaluation of Combinational Capsule of Metoprolol Succinate and Atorvastatin Calcium. Res J Pharma Dosage Forms and Tech. 2010;2(3):255-60.
24. Pujara N. Self-Emulsifying Drug Delivery System: A Novel Approach. International Journal of Current Pharmaceutical Research. 2012 04/01; 4:18-23.
25. Sunitha Reddy M, Sowjanya N. Formulation and in-vitro characterization of solid self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery system (S-SNEDDS) of Simvastatin; 2015.
26. N Arunkumar CR, KP Mohanraj. Formulation and In Vitro evaluation of oral floating tablets of atorvastatin calcium. Research J Pharm and Tech. 2008;1(4):492-5.
27. Maghsoodi M, Hassan-Zadeh D, Nokhodchi A, Martin G. Improved Compaction and Packing Properties of Naproxen Agglomerated Crystals Obtained by Spherical Crystallization Technique. Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy. 2007 12/01; 33:1216-24.
28. Krishna A. Navya DY, Aruna S. Design Development of Liquisolid Compacts of Atorvastatin Calcium. Res J Pharma Dosage Forms and Tech. 2015;7(2):93-7.
29. Seo YG, Kim DH, Ramasamy T, et al. Development of docetaxel-loaded solid self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery system (SNEDDS) for enhanced chemotherapeutic effect. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2013 Aug 16;452(1-2):412-20.
30. Eftekhari BS, Karkhaneh A, Alizadeh A. Physically Targeted Intravenous Polyurethane Nanoparticles for Controlled Release of Atorvastatin Calcium. Iranian Biomedical Journal. 2017 Nov;21(6):369-79.
31. Cavalli R, Caputo O, Carlotti ME, Trotta M, Scarnecchia C, Gasco MR. Sterilization and freeze-drying of drug-free and drug-loaded solid lipid nanoparticles. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 1997 1997/03/14/;148(1):47-54.
32. Reddy MN, Rehana T, Ramakrishna S, Chowdary KPR, Diwan PV. β-cyclodextrin complexes of celecoxib: Molecular-modeling, characterization, and dissolution studies. AAPS PharmSci. 2004 March 01;6(1):68-76.
33. Panakanti R, Narang A. Impact of Excipient Interactions on Drug Bioavailability from Solid Dosage Forms. Pharmaceutical research. 2012 05/19; 29:2639-59.
34. R. Deshmukh S, S. Bakhle S, P. Upadhye K, R. Dixit G. Formulation and evaluation of solid self-emulsifying drug delivery system of Gliclazide; 2016.
35. Hwang KM, Park SA, Kim JY, Park CW, Rhee YS, Park ES. Formulation and in Vitro Evaluation of Self-microemulsifying Drug Delivery System Containing Fixed-Dose Combination of Atorvastatin and Ezetimibe. Chemical & Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 2015;63(6):423-30.
36. Elnaggar YS, El-Massik MA, Abdallah OY. Self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery systems of tamoxifen citrate: design and optimization. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2009 Oct 1;380(1-2):133-41.
37. Odeberg JM, Kaufmann P, Kroon KG, Hoglund P. Lipid drug delivery and rational formulation design for lipophilic drugs with low oral bioavailability, applied to cyclosporine. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences: Official Journal of the European Federation for Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2003 Dec;20(4-5):375-82.
38. Gursoy N, Garrigue JS, Razafindratsita A, Lambert G, Benita S. Excipient effects on in vitro cytotoxicity of a novel paclitaxel self-emulsifying drug delivery system. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2003 Dec;92(12):2411-8.
39. Sreedhar R, Kumar VS, Bhaskaran Pillai AK, Mangalathillam S. Omega-3 Fatty Acid Based Nanolipid Formulation of Atorvastatin for Treating Hyperlipidemia. Adv Pharm Bull. 2019;9(2):271-80.
40. Fathi HA, Allam A, Elsabahy M, Fetih G, El-Badry M. Nanostructured lipid carriers for improved oral delivery and prolonged antihyperlipidemic effect of simvastatin. Colloids and surfaces B, Biointerfaces. 2018 Feb 1;162:236-45.
41. Jahangiri A, Barzegar-Jalali M, Garjani A, et al. Evaluation of physicochemical properties and in vivo efficiency of atorvastatin calcium/ezetimibe solid dispersions. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences: Official Journal of the European Federation for Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2016 Jan 20;82:21-30.
42. Kassem AM, Ibrahim HM, Samy AM. Development and optimisation of atorvastatin calcium loaded self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery system (SNEDDS) for enhancing oral bioavailability: In vitro and in vivo evaluation. Journal of Microencapsulation. 2017 May;34(3):319-33.
43. Nekkanti V, Wang Z, Betageri GV. Pharmacokinetic Evaluation of Improved Oral Bioavailability of Valsartan: Proliposomes Versus Self-Nanoemulsifying Drug Delivery System. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2016 2016/08/01;17(4):851-62.
44. Beakawi Al-Hashemi HM, Baghabra Al-Amoudi OS. A review on the angle of repose of granular materials. Powder Technology. 2018 2018/05/01/;330:397-417.
45. Ali H, Hussein A. Oral nanoemulsions of candesartan cilexetil: formulation, characterization and in vitro drug release studies. AAPS Open. 2017 12/01;3.
46. Panghal D, Nagpal M, Thakur GS, Arora S. Dissolution Improvement of Atorvastatin Calcium using Modified Locust Bean Gum by the Solid Dispersion Technique. Sci Pharm. 2013;82(1):177-91.
47. Kunam V, Suryadevara V, Garikapati D, Mandava V, Rlc S. Solubility And Dissolution Rate Enhancement Of Ezetimibe By Solid Dispersion And Pelletization Techniques Using Soluplus As Carrier. International Journal of Applied Pharmaceutics. 2019 04/11:57-64.
48. Sancheti PP, Karekar P, Vyas VM, Shah M, Pore YV. Preparation and physicochemical characterization of surfactant based solid dispersions of ezetimibe. Die Pharmazie. 2009 Apr;64(4):227-31.
49. Cho H-Y, Kang J-H, Ngo L, Tran P, Lee Y-B. Preparation and Evaluation of Solid-Self-Emulsifying Drug Delivery System Containing Paclitaxel for Lymphatic Delivery. Journal of Nanomaterials. 2016 06/08;2016:1-14.
50. Shete G, Puri V, Kumar L, Bansal AK. Solid state characterization of commercial crystalline and amorphous atorvastatin calcium samples. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2010;11(2):598-609.
51. Dixit RP, Nagarsenker M. Self-nanoemulsifying granules of ezetimibe: Design, optimization and evaluation. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences : Official Journal of the European Federation for Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2008 10/02;35:183-92.
52. Date AA, Nagarsenker MS. Novel delivery systems of atorvastatin should be evaluated for pharmacodynamics instead of pharmacokinetics. The Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2007 Nov;59(11):1583-4.
53. Krstić M, Medarević Đ, Đuriš J, Ibrić S. Chapter 12 - Self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery systems (SNEDDS) and self-microemulsifying drug delivery systems (SMEDDS) as lipid nanocarriers for improving dissolution rate and bioavailability of poorly soluble drugs. In: Grumezescu AM, editor. Lipid Nanocarriers for Drug Targeting: William Andrew Publishing; 2018. p. 473-508.
54. Cho H-Y, Kang J-H, Ngo L, Tran P, Lee Y-B. Preparation and Evaluation of Solid-Self-Emulsifying Drug Delivery System Containing Paclitaxel for Lymphatic Delivery. Journal of Nanomaterials. 2016 2016/06/08; 2016:3642418.
55. Newman A, Hastedt JE, Yazdanian M. New directions in pharmaceutical amorphous materials and amorphous solid dispersions, a tribute to Professor George Zografi – Proceedings of the June 2016 Land O’Lakes Conference. AAPS Open. 2017 2017/08/11;3(1):7.
56. Madagul JK, Parakh DR, Kumar RS, Abhang RR. Formulation and evaluation of solid self-microemulsifying drug delivery system of chlorthalidone by spray drying technology. Drying Technology. 2017 2017/09/10;35(12):1433-49.
57. Bhosale P, Pore Y, Sayyad F. Preparation of amorphous carvedilol polymeric microparticles for improvement of physicochemical properties. Journal of Pharmaceutical Investigation. 2012 2012/12/01;42(6):335-44.
58. Rahman M, Mujahid M. Development of self-nanoemulsifying tablet (SNET) for bioavailability enhancement of sertraline. Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2018 06/07;54.
59. Bajracharya R, Song JG, Back SY, Han H-K. Recent Advancements in Non-Invasive Formulations for Protein Drug Delivery. Comput Struct Biotechnol J. 2019;17:1290-308.
60. Basalious EB, Shawky N, Badr-Eldin SM. SNEDDS containing bioenhancers for improvement of dissolution and oral absorption of lacidipine. I: development and optimization. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2010 May 31;391(1-2):203-11.
61. Harisa GI, Alomrani AH, Badran MM. Simvastatin-loaded nanostructured lipid carriers attenuate the atherogenic risk of erythrocytes in hyperlipidemic rats. Eur J Pharm Sci. 2017 Jan 1;96:62-71.