Esra Tariq Anwer, Omji Porwal, Rupesh Dudhe
Esra Tariq Anwer1*, Omji Porwal1*, Rupesh Dudhe2
1Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmacy, Tishk International University, Erbil, KRG/IRAQ. 44001.
2School of Pharmacy, G H Raisoni University, Saikheda, Chhindwara, Madhya Pradesh India 480337.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 7,
Year - 2022
To develop a novel, accurate, precise and linear reverse phase high performance liquid chromatographic (RP-HPLC) methods for quantitative determination of cefotaxime sodium (CFT) in bulk drug and CFT loaded nanoparticles. Different analytical performance parameters such as linearity, precision, accuracy, specificity, limit of detection (LOD) and limit of quantification (LOQ) were determined according to International Conference on Harmonization ICH Q2B guidelines. The RP-HPLC method was developed by the isocratic technique on a reversed-phase Zorbax C18 (250 × 4.6 mm, 5µm) column with mobile phase consisting of phosphate buffer (pH7.4): acetonitrile (80:20v/v) at flow rate of 1.2 ml/min. Detection was carried out using a UV detector at 254nm. The retention time for CFT was 6.580+0.5min. The standard curve was linear over the concentration range of 10-50µg/ml with r2 close to one (0.999). The limit of detection (LOD) and limit of quantitation (LOQ) obtained for CET were 0.100µg/ml and 0.314µg/ml respectively. The developed and validated method was successfully applied for the quantitative analysis of nanoparticle. The high recovery and low relative standard deviation confirm the suitability of the proposed method for determining the assay and in vitro dissolution of a marketed formulation.
Cite this article:
Esra Tariq Anwer, Omji Porwal, Rupesh Dudhe. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for estimation of Cefotaxime sodium in bulk and formulation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(7):3114-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00521
Esra Tariq Anwer, Omji Porwal, Rupesh Dudhe. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for estimation of Cefotaxime sodium in bulk and formulation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(7):3114-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00521 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-7-43
1. Fauci A S, Touchette N A, Folkers G K. Emerging Infectious Diseases: a 10-Year Perspective from, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. 2005;11(4): 519-25. doi: 10.3201/eid1104.041167.
2. Porwal O, Singh SK, Patel DK, Gupta S, Tripathi R, Katekhaye S. Cultivation, Collection and Processing of Medicinal Plants. Bioactive Phytochemicals: Drug Discovery to Product Development. 2020:14-30. doi.org/10.2174/9789811464485120010005
3. Porwal O, Nanjan MJ, Chandrasekar MJN, Srinivasan R, Gupta S. Anticancer potential of solanum jasminoides. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Research 2014; 5(9):3768-3774.
4. Chandrasekar MJN, Srinivasan R, Porwal O, Nanjan MJ. In-Vitro antioxidant activity of Solanum jasminoides paxt extracts. Journal of Natural Remedies. 2012; 12(2):115-118.
5. Porwal O, Gupta S, Nanjan MJ, Singh A. Classical taxonomy studies of medicinally important Ipomoea leari. Ancient Science of Life. 2015; 35(1):34. doi.org/10.4103/0257-7941.165628
6. Porwal O, Malviya R, Ameen MSM, Anwar ET, Sharma A. A review on effect of various parameters on the rheological behaviour, thermal properties and viscosity of potato starch. Current Materials Science 2021; E-pub Ahead of Print. doi.org/10.2174/2666145414666210521214130
7. Singh A, Porwal O, Sharma N, Singh A, Kumar S, Sharma PK. Effects of Prebiotics on Git and human health: a review. Journal of Pure Applied Microbiology 2007; 1(1):69-82.
8. Anwar ET, Gupta N, Porwal O, Sharma A, Malviya R, Singh A, et al., Skin diseases and their treatment strategies in sub-saharan african regions. Infectious Disorder of Drug Targets. 2021; E-pub Ahead of Print. doi.org/10.2174/1871526521666210927120334
9. Kumar S A, Shetty Y R, Ahmed M, Sridhar B K, Vijaya Kumar M L. Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for Quantitative Estimation of Cefoperazone in Bulk and Pharmaceutical dosage forms, International Journal of Chem Tech Research, 2011; 3(3); 1075-79.
10. Indian Pharmacopoeia, Government of India, The Controller of Publications, Delhi, Vol. I (1996) p. 148.
11. Rohan S. Badgujar, Saurabh Kumar Banerjee, G. Venkateshwarlu. Development and validation of rp-hplc method for simultaneous determination of cefotaxime sodium and sulbactum sodium in bulk and injection. International Journal of Chemical Sciences. 2010; 8(3): 1502-1510.
12. Vandana P. Patil, Suwarna H. Kale, Rushikesh H. Patil. Validated rp-hplc for simultaneous estimation of cefotaxime and sulbactum in reconstituted solids. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis and Medicinal Chemistry. 2016; 4(2):47-57.
13. Basly JP, Basly I and Bernard M. ESR spectroscopy applied to the study of the pharmaceuticals radio sterilization:cefoperazone. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis 1998 Aug; 17(4-5):817- 875.
14. G. Raveendra Babu, J. Srinivasa Rao, K. Suresh kumar, P. Jayachandra Reddy. Stability Indicating Liquid Chromatographic Method for Aripiprazole. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2011 Jan; 1(1):03-07.
15. Swapna J, Madhu C, Srivani M, Sumalatha M, Nehalatha Y, Anusha Y. Analytical Method Development and Method Validation for the Simultaneous Estimation of Metformin hydrochloride and Pioglitazone hydrochloride in Tablet Dosage Form by RP-HPLC. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2012 July; 2(3): 85-89.
16. Bhalerao Atharva, Gade Vilas, Sonawane Sandeep, Chhajed Santosh, Kshirsagar Sanjay. Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for estimation of Cefuroxime axetil in Spiked Human Plasma with UV Detection. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2017; 7(3):157-161. doi.org/10.5958/2231-5659.2017.00025.X
17. P. Janaki Pathi, N. Appala Raju. The Estimation of Palonosetron Hydrochloride in Parenterals by RP-HPLC. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Technology. 2012 April; 2(2): 77-79.
18. Vishal Jain, Ambar Vyas, Swarnlata Saraf, S. Saraf. HPLC Determination of Piperine in ‘Trikatu Churna’ a Potent Ayurvedic Formulation for Routine Quality Control. Asian Journal of Research and Chemistry. 2011 February; 4(2):183-186.
19. Mousumi Karpillai, Sachin Dhangar. Development of RP-HPLC Method for Estimation Glipizide. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011 June; 4(6): 949-950.
20. Sayali S. More, Sandeep S. Sonawane, Santosh S. Chhajed, Sanjay J. Kshirsagar. Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Saxagliptin and Dapagliflozin in Tablets. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Technology. 2018; 8 (3):145-148. doi.org/10.5958/2231-5713.2018.00023.5
21. Sachin R Shinde, Suvarna I Bhoir, Namdev S Pawar, Suman B Yadav, Ajay S Ghumatkar, Ashok M Bhagwat. Simultaneous Determination of Valsartan and Nebivolol HCl in Tablet Dosage Form by RP-HPLC. Asian Journal of Chemistry. 2009 Oct; 2(4): 519-522.
22. Yogini S. Jaiswal, Pratima A. Tatke, Satish Y.Gabhe, Ashok B. Vaidya. Isolation and Quantitative Analysis of a Bioactive Polyphenol - Catechin in Anacardium occidentale Linn. (Leaves and Testa) by HPLC Analysis. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2010; 2(5): 372-376.
23. Sinha PK, Jeswani RM, Topgi KS, Damle MC. Stability Indicating RP-HPLC Method for Determination of Potassium Clavulanate in the presence of its Degradation Products. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical Technology. 2010 Jan; 3(1):141-145.
24. Reddy MN, Reddy VPN, Reddy PJC et.al Spectrophotometric Determination of Cefuroxime Sodium in Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms. The Antiseptics 2002; 99(3): 88-89.
25. Ramanunny AK, Wadhwa S, Gulati M, Gupta S, Porwal O, Jha NK, Gupta PK, Kumar D, Prasher P, Dua K, Al Saqr A. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for 1΄-Acetoxychavicol acetate (ACA) and its application in optimizing the yield of ACA during its isolation from Alpinia galanga extract as well as its quantification in nanoemulsion. South African Journal of Botany. 2021 Oct 27. doi.org/10.1016/j.sajb.2021.10.012
26. Singh SK, Prakash D, Tamizh Mani T. Development and Validation of Stability indicating RP-HPLC Method for the estimation of Azithromycin Suspension. International Journal of ChemTech Research. 2010;2(4):1939-44.
27. Kumar R, Kumar R, Khursheed R, Awasthi A, Khurana N, Singh SK, Khurana S, Sharma N, Gunjal P, Kaur J, Corrie L. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for estimation of fisetin in rat plasma. South African Journal of Botany. 2021 Aug 1; 140:284-9. 10.1016/j.sajb.2020.05.010
28. Khursheed R, Singh SK, Kapoor B, Gulati M, Wadhwa S, Gupta S, Prasher P, Kumar D, Dua K, Kumar LS, Babu UV. Development and Validation of RP-HPLC Method for Simultaneous Determination of Curcumin and Quercetin in Extracts, Marketed Formulations, and Self-Nanoemulsifying Drug Delivery System. Re: GEN Open. 2021 Jan 1;1(1):43-52. doi.org/10.1089/regen.2021.0021
29. Khursheed R, Wadhwa S, Kumar B, Gulati M, Gupta S, Chaitanya MV, Kumar D, Jha NK, Gupta G, Prasher P, Chellappan DK. Development and validation of RP-HPLC based bioanalytical method for simultaneous estimation of curcumin and quercetin in rat's plasma. South African Journal of Botany. 2021 Dec 16.doi.org/10.1016/j.sajb.2021.12.009
30. Nkeoma NO, Godwin IC. Nwokedi et.al. Spectrophotometric determination of some cephalosporin antibiotics using Prussian blue reaction. Scientific Research and Essay 2007 Aug; 2 (8): 342- 347.
31. SA Patel, NM Patel, MM Patel. Spectrophotometric estimation of cefotaxime and ceftriaxone in pharmaceutical dosage forms 2006; 68(1): 101-103.
32. Nabi SA, Laig E, Islam A. Selective separation and of Determination Cephalosporins by TLC on Stannic oxide layers. Acta Chromatographica. 2004;14: 92-101.
33. Zendelovska, Traj stafilov, Petar miloševski. Bull. Chem. Technol. Macedonia High-performance liquid chromatographic method for determination of cefixime and cefotaxime in human plasma. Dragica, 2003; 22(1): 39–45
34. Hancu G, Simon B, Kelemen H, Rusu A, Mircia E, Gyéresi Á. Thin layer chromatographic analysis of Beta-lactam antibiotics. Advanced Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 2013 Dec;3(2):367. doi: 10.5681/apb.2013.059
35. Dragica zendelovska, Traj e stafilov and Petar miloševski. High-performance liquid chromatographic method for determination of cefixime and cefotaxime in human plasma Bull. Chemical Technology Macedonia, 2003; 22(1): 39–45.
36. Snyder L R, kirkland J, gloch JL. Practical HPLC Method Developed. 5th ed. a wiley inter sedent publication; 2002: 402-420.
37. Papadoyannis D, Ioannis N and Victoria F. HPLC determination of cefotaxime and cephalexine residues in milk and cephalexine in veterinary formulation Samanidou, Microchimica Acta.2008 April; 160(4): 471-475.
38. Rosseel M.T and Vandewoude K.H. Liquid chromatographic determination of the plasma concentrations of cefotaxime and desacetylcefotaxime in plasma of critically ill patients Journal of Chromatography B 2004 Nov; 811(2);25:159-63.
39. Mara M. Aleksić Vera Kapetanović, Jasmina Atanacković, et al Simultaneous determination of cefotaxime and desacetylcefotaxime in real urine sample using voltammetric and high-performance liquid chromatographic methods. Talanta. 2008 Oct ;77(1):131-137. doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2008.05.047
40. Signs SA, File TM and Tan JS. High-pressure Liquid Chromatographic Method for Analysis of Cephalosporins. Antimicrob. Agents and Chemotherapy 1984; 26:652-655. doi.org/10.1128/AAC.26.5.652
41. Joshi S. HPLC separation of antibiotics present in formulated and unformulated samples. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis 2002; 28:795-809. 10.1016/s0731-7085(01)00706-3
42. International Conference on Harmonisation (2005) Validation of analytical procedures: Text and Methodology, Geneva, Switzerland.