The aim of this study was to conduct a survey of the fungal species associated with COVID-19 viral infection in 150 patients who were admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU) in Al-Diwaniyah Teaching Hospital in Al-Diwaniyah City, Iraq, for a five-month period from October 2021 to February 2022. The results indicated the dominance of Candida spp. over the rest of the isolated fungal species, with 97 isolates (64.66%). Aspergillus spp., with 15 isolates (10%), came in second. Rhizopus sp. with 2 isolates (1.33%). Then with 1 isolate (0.66%) for each of Penicillium sp., Coccidiodes sp., and Rhodotorula sp., Also, results show that the male has a higher percentage than the female (54.9%) and co-infections with fungi were more common in the 60–69 age group then in the 70–79 age group (34% versus 24%, respectively). Taking a deeper look at the patients' medical histories, it was shown that fungal co-infection was more prevalent in those with chronic sickness than in those without chronic disease (55.66% versus 43.14%, respectively).
Cite this article:
Neeran Obied Jasim, Mohammed Mudhafar Habeeb Alkhuzaie. Fungal Infections (FI) Associated with Covid-19. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(2):698-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00119
Neeran Obied Jasim, Mohammed Mudhafar Habeeb Alkhuzaie. Fungal Infections (FI) Associated with Covid-19. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(2):698-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00119 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-2-38
1. Shikhar Jain, Ritik and Jain, Tejas and Ishikar, Suraj. Impact of COVID-19 on changing habits and health issues of the public. Asian Journal Of Management.2020; 11. 524-528. 10.5958/2321-5763.2020.00077.3.
2. Ayedee, Nishu and Manocha, Sanjay. Role of media (Television) in creating positive atmosphere in COVID 19 during lockdown in India. ASIAN JOURNAL OF MANAGEMENT.2020; 11. 370-378. 10.5958/2321-5763.2020.00057.8.
3. Vishnu, Kandra and Uppala, Praveen and Vangoori, Yakaiah and Gudhanti, Siva. A Review on Covid 19 Pandemic and its Global Effects. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2021; 242-246. 10.52711/2231-5691.2021.00042.
4. Lim, Y.K., Kweon, O.J., Kim, H.R., Kim, T.H., and Lee, M.K.: ‘Impact of bacterial and viral coinfection in community-acquired pneumonia in adults’, Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis, 2019, 94, (1), pp. 50-54
5. Gangneux, J.P., Bougnoux, M.E., Dannaoui, E., Cornet, M., and Zahar, J.R.: ‘Invasive fungal diseases during COVID-19: We should be prepared’, J Mycol Med, 2020, 30, (2), pp. 100971-100971
6. Lin, S. J., Schranz, J., and Teutsch, S. M. Aspergillosis case-fatality rate: systematic review of the literature. Clin Infect Dis.2001; 32(3), 358-366. https://doi.org/10.1086/318483
7. Pappas, P. G., Rex, J. H., Lee, J., Hamill, R. J., Larsen, R. A., Powderly, W., Kauffman, C. A., Hyslop, N., Mangino, J. E., Chapman, S., Horowitz, H. W., Edwards, J. E., and Dismukes, W. E. A prospective observational study of candidemia: epidemiology, therapy, and influences on mortality in hospitalized adult and pediatric patients. Clin Infect Dis. 2003;37(5), 634-643. https://doi.org/10.1086/376906
8. Montravers, P., Mira, J. P., Gangneux, J. P., Leroy, O., and Lortholary, O. A multicentre study of antifungal strategies and outcome of Candida spp. peritonitis in intensive-care units. Clinical Microbiology and Infection.2011; 17(7), 1061-1067. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-0691.2010.03360.x
9. White, P. L., Dhillon, R., Cordey, A., Hughes, H., Faggian, F., Soni, S., Pandey, M., Whitaker, H., May, A., Morgan, M., Wise, M. P., Healy, B., Blyth, I., Price, J. S., Vale, L., Posso, R., Kronda, J., Blackwood, A., Rafferty, H., Moffitt, A., Tsitsopoulou, A., Gaur, S., Holmes, T., and Backx, M. A National Strategy to Diagnose Coronavirus Disease 2019–Associated Invasive Fungal Disease in the Intensive Care Unit. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2021;73(7), e1634-e1644. https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciaa1298
10. Patterson, T. F. Advances and challenges in management of invasive mycoses. The lancet.2005; 366(9490), 1013-1025. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(05)67381-3
11. He, F., Deng, Y., and Li, W. Coronavirus disease 2019: What we know? Journal of medical virology.2020;92(7), 719-725.
12. Yang, X., Yu, Y., Xu, J., Shu, H., Liu, H., Wu, Y., Zhang, L., Yu, Z., Fang, M., and Yu, T. Clinical course and outcomes of critically ill patients with SARS-CoV-2 pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a single-centered, retrospective, observational study. The Lancet respiratory medicine.2020; 8(5), 475-481.
13. Zhou, P., Liu, Z., Chen, Y., Xiao, Y., Huang, X., and Fan, X.-G. Bacterial and fungal infections in COVID-19 patients: a matter of concern. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology.2020; 41(9), 1124-1125.
14. Sarkar, Niloy and Mandal, Bijoy and Paul, Soumya. Activity, Effect on Human and Salvation from effect of COVID-19. Asian Journal of Management.2021; 228-234. 10.52711/2321-5763.2021.00035.
15. Pashley, C. H., Fairs, A., Morley, J. P., Tailor, S., Agbetile, J., Bafadhel, M., Brightling, C. E., and Wardlaw, A. J. Routine processing procedures for isolating filamentous fungi from respiratory sputum specimens may underestimate fungal prevalence. Medical mycology.2012; 50(4), 433-438.
16. Atlas, R. M. Principles of Microbiology. Mosby-Year Book. Inc., St-Louis, USA.1995
17. Kidd, S., Halliday, C. L., Alexiou, H., and Ellis, D. H. Descriptions of Medical Fungi. CutCut Digital.2016. https://books.google.iq/books?id=G95gjwEACAAJ
18. Rychetnik, L., Hawe, P., Waters, E., Barratt, A., and Frommer, M. A glossary for evidence based public health. J Epidemiol Community Health.2004, 58(7), 538-545. https://doi.org/10.1136/jech.2003.011585
19. S.D. Mankar, Waditake Poonam, Prajakta Jejurkar. Review on Mucormycosis: It is a life Threatening infection. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2021; 11(4):316-8. doi: 10.52711/2231-5659.2021.00049
20. Monisha N. Chronic Pulmonary Aspergillosis. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 7(3): Mar., 2014; Page 389-391.
21. Neha Abhishek Sharma. Mucormycosis: Why Incidence Rate is more in Covid -19 patients. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research. 2021; 11(4):599-0. doi: 10.52711/2349-2996.2021.00139
22. Silva, D.L., Lima, C.M., Magalhães, V.C.R., Baltazar, L.M., Peres, N.T.A., Caligiorne, R.B., Moura, A.S., Fereguetti, T., Martins, J.C., Rabelo, L.F., Abrahão, J.S., Lyon, A.C., Johann, S., and Santos, D.A.: ‘Fungal and bacterial coinfections increase mortality of severely ill COVID-19 patients’, Journal of Hospital Infection, 2021, 113, pp. 145-154
23. Fish, E.N.: ‘The X-files in immunity: sex-based differences predispose immune responses’, Nature Reviews Immunology.2008, 8, (9), pp. 737-744
24. Neeran O. Jasim, M.K.: ‘Pulmonary Aspergillosis Associated with COVID-19’, International Journal of Drug Delivery Technology. 2021, 11, (3), pp. 892-895
25. Samrithi Yuvaraj, Gheena. S, Gopinath. P. Comparison of Oral Candidal Flora of Diabetics and Non Diabetics. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2016; 9(10):1645-1646. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2016.00330.9
26. Mor, Sonia and Saini, Prem and Wangnoo, Subhash and Bawa, Tarunika. (). Worldwide spread of COVID-19 Pandemic and risk factors among Co-morbid conditions especially Diabetes Mellitus in India. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13. 2530. 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00450.3.
27. Huang, C., Wang, Y., Li, X., Ren, L., Zhao, J., Hu, Y., Zhang, L., Fan, G., Xu, J., Gu, X., Cheng, Z., Yu, T., Xia, J., Wei, Y., Wu, W., Xie, X., Yin, W., Li, H., Liu, M., Xiao, Y., Gao, H., Guo, L., Xie, J., Wang, G., Jiang, R., Gao, Z., Jin, Q., Wang, J., and Cao, B.: ‘Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China’, Lancet. 2020, 395, (10223), pp. 497-506
28. Zhou, P., Liu, Z., Chen, Y., Xiao, Y., Huang, X., and Fan, X.-G.: ‘Bacterial and fungal infections in COVID-19 patients: a matter of concern’, Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology. 2020, 41, (9), pp. 1124-1125
29. Hyam Raouf Al-Hamamy. COVID-19: Immune response. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(1):467-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00076.