K. Dhanalakshmi, A. Jaswanth, E. Subramainan, T. Suntharaselvi
K. Dhanalakshmi1*, A. Jaswanth2, E. Subramainan1, T. Suntharaselvi1
1Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Tirunelveli.
2Mother Terasa College of Pharmacy, Pudthukodai, India.
Volume - 16,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2023
A simple, efficient and reproducible Reverse Phase-High Performance Liquid Chromatography (RP-HPLC) method for the estimation of Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate in Pharmaceutical formulation has been validated. The Separation was carried out on C-18 column 4.6 mm x 250 cm x 5 µm column at ambient temperature using Buffer: Acetonitrile in the ratio of 60: 40 as a mobile phase. The flow rate was 1 ml/min and effluent was detected at 260nm. The retention times was found to be 3 mts. The percentage recovery was within the range between 99.23% to 101.44 %. The method was linear in the range of 50%-150% for Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate where r2 = 0.999. The percentage relative standard deviation for accuracy and precision was found to be less than 2%. The method was validated according to ICH guidelines and the acceptance criteria for specificity, linearity, accuracy, precision, ruggedness and robustness were met in all cases in detecting Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate. Hence the method could be successfully applied for routine analysis of Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate in the solid dosage form.
Cite this article:
K. Dhanalakshmi, A. Jaswanth, E. Subramainan, T. Suntharaselvi. RP-HPLC Method Validation for Estimation of Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate in Pharmaceutical Oral Dosage Form. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(2):777-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00133
K. Dhanalakshmi, A. Jaswanth, E. Subramainan, T. Suntharaselvi. RP-HPLC Method Validation for Estimation of Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate in Pharmaceutical Oral Dosage Form. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(2):777-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00133 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-2-52
1. Neil, M. J. O. Smith, A. Heckelman. P. E., Budavari, S. The Merck Index, An Encyclopedia of Chemicals, Drugs and Biological. 2001. 13 th Ed., Merck & Co. Inc., White House Station, New Jer, 9224.
2. Martindale, S. C. The Complete Drug Reference. 2005. 34th Ed., Pharmaceutical Press, London, 642.
3. Deeks S. G. Barditch-Crovo P. Lietman, P. S. Hwang. F. Cundy. K. C. Rooney. J. F. Hellmann. N. S. Safrin S. & Kahn, J. O. Safety pharmacokinetics, and antiretroviral activity of intravenous 9-[2-(R)-(Phosphonomethoxy)propyl]adenine, a novel anti-human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) therapy, in HIV-infected adults. Antimicrobial agents and chemotherapy. 1998; 42(9):2380–2384. doi.org/10.1128/AAC.42.9.2380
4. Earnshaw. D. L. Bacon. T. H. Darlison S. J. Edmonds. K. Perkins. R. M. & Vere Hodge. R. A. Mode of antiviral action of penciclovir in MRC-5 cells infected with herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1), HSV-2, and varicella-zoster virus. Antimicrobial agents and chemotherapy. 1992; 36(12): 2747–2757. doi.org/10.1128/aac.36.12.2747
5. Chittick. G. E. Zong.5 J. Blum. M. R. Sorbel. J. J. Begley. J. A. Adda. N. & Kearney. B. P. Pharmacokinetics of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate and ritonavir-boosted saquinavir mesylate administered alone or in combination at steady state. Antimicrobial agents and chemotherapy. 2006; 50(4): 1304–1310. doi.org/10.1128/AAC.50.4.1304- 1310.2006
6. Dipak Nalawade. R. K. Godge. S. D. Magar. Analytical Method Development and Validation of Ritonavir: A Review. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2020; 12(2): 157-162. doi.org/10.5958/2349-2988.2020.00020.0
7. Amruta S. Kadam. Nayana V. Pimpodkar. Puja S.Gaikwad. Sushila D. Chavan. Bioanalytical Method Validation. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2015; 5(4): 219-225. doi.org/10.5958/2231-5675.2015.00035.6
8. Prashant B. Patil. Azilsartan. A Review of Analytical Methods for estimation in Pharmaceutical Formulation. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2018; 8(4): 227-232. doi: 10.5958/2231-5675.2018.00041.8
9. Gnanarajan G. Gupta A.K. Juyal V. Kumar P. Yadav PK. Kailash P. A Validated Method for Development of Tenofovir as API and Tablet Dosage Forms by UV Spectroscopy. Journal of Young Pharmacist. 2009; 1(4): 351-353. doi.org/10.4103/0975-1483.59326.
10. Mannem Sri Varsha. N. Raghavendra Babu. Yenumula Padmavathi. P. Ravi Kumar. Development of new Spectrophotometric method for estimation of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate using MBTH reagent. International Current Pharmaceutical Journal. 2015; 4(4): 378-381. doi.org/10.3329/icpj.v4i4.22620.
11. Asma Afroz. Tasnuva Haque. Md. Mesbah Uddin Talukder. S. M. Ashraful Islam. Spectrophotometric Estimation of Rosuvastatin Calcium and Glimepiride in Tablet Dosage Form. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2011;1(4): 74-78.
12. P Janaki Pathi. P. Raveendra Reddy. N Appala Raju. Visible Spectrophotometric Estimation of Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate in Pharmaceutical Formulations. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2011;4(3): 446-449.
13. Tom Delahunt. Lane Bushman. Courtney V. Fletcher. Sensitive assay for Determination of Plasma Tenofovir concentrations by LC/MS/MS. Journal of chromatography B. 2006; 830 (1):6-12. doi.org/ 10.1016/j.jchromb.2005.10.015
14. Delahunty T. Bushman L. Robbins B. Fletcher CV. Simultaneous assay of tenofovir and emtricitabine in plasma using LC/MS/MS and isotopically labelled internal standards. Journal of Chromatography B. Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2009; 877(20- 21):1907-14. doi: 10.1016/j.jchromb.2009.05.029.
15. Nagasarapu M R. Dannana G.S. Development and Validation of Stability-Indicating HPLC Method for Simultaneous Determination of Lamivudine, Tenofovir, and Dolutegravir in bulk and their tablet dosage form. Future Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2015; (1): 73-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fjps.2015.11.002.
16. Ramaswamy. A. Arul Gnana Dhas A.S. Development and validation of analytical method for quantitation of Emtricitabine, Tenofovir, Efavirenz based on HPLC. Arabian Journal of Chemistry. 2014; 08.007. doi.org/10.1016/j.arabjc.2014.08.007
17. Vidyadhara. S. Sasidhar. RLC. Venkateswara Rao B. Ratna Kumari. P. Simultaneous UV Spectrophotometric Method for the Determination of Tenofovir, Efavirenz and Lamivudine in Bulk and Combined Dosage Form. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2016; 6(4): 253-258. doi.org/ 10.5958/2231-5675.2016.00037.5
18. Shailaja K. Revathi R. Saravanan V. S. Stability indicating RP-HPLC method for the estimation of Emtricitabine and Tenofovir disoproxil fumerate in tablet dosage form. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2013; 6(1): 80-85.
19. Y. J. Kim. Y. Lee. M. J. Kang, J. S. Huh. M. Yoon, J. Lee. et al. RP-High Performance Liquid Chromatographic Determination of Tenofovir Disoproxil in Human Plasma for Bioequivalence Study. Biomedical Chromatography. 2006; 20(11):1172-77. doi.org/10.1002/bmc.666.
20. Ocque, A. J. Hagler. C. E. Morse. G. D. Letendre. S. L. & Ma. Q. Development and validation of an LC-MS/MS assay for tenofovir and tenofovir alafenamide in human plasma and cerebrospinal fluid. Journal of pharmaceutical and biomedical analysis. 2018; 156:163–169. doi.org/10.1016/j.jpba.2018.04.035.
21. Shubhangi V. Sutar. Harinath N. More. Sachin A. Pishawikar. Sandip A. Bandgar. Indrayani D. Raut. Validated RP-HPLC Method Development for Estimation of Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate from Plasma. Research Journal of Science and Technology. 2011; 4(10): 1626-1629.
22. G. Raveendra Babu. J. Srinivasa Rao. K. Suresh kumar. P. Jayachandra Reddy. Stability Indicating Liquid Chromatographic Method for Aripiprazole. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. 2011; 1(1): 03-07.