Swetha Sri. R, Dr. Bhavya Sri. K, Mounika. Ch
Swetha Sri. R1, Dr. Bhavya Sri. K2, Mounika. Ch3
1Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmaceutical Analysis, RBVRR Women’s College of Pharmacy, Hyderabad, India.
2Associate Professor, Department of Pharmaceutical Analysis, RBVRR Women’s College of Pharmacy, Hyderabad, India.
3Research Student, Department of Pharmaceutical Analysis, RBVRR Women’s College of Pharmacy, Hyderabad, India.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2020
Recent advancements in pharmaceutical analysis have made available chromatographic media with a 1.7 µm particle size along with a liquid handling system that can operate such columns at much higher pressures. This technology, termed Ultra performance liquid chromatography (UPLC) using sub 2 micron particles and very high pressure (up to 100 MPa is possible in UPLC system) has demonstrated improvement in method sensitivity, resolution and speed compared with conventional HPLC. The UPLC system allows decreasing analysis time up to nine times compared to chromatographic system using 5 µm size particle packed analytical columns. In comparison with 3µm size particle packed analytical columns analysis time shortened about three times. The present review paper differentiates HPLC and UPLC, analytical method validation, applications, advantages and disadvantages of HPLC and UPLC.
Cite this article:
Swetha Sri. R, Dr. Bhavya Sri. K, Mounika. Ch. A Review on Comparative study of HPLC and UPLC. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(3):1570-1574. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00284.X
Swetha Sri. R, Dr. Bhavya Sri. K, Mounika. Ch. A Review on Comparative study of HPLC and UPLC. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(3):1570-1574. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00284.X Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2020-13-3-89
1. Hamid Khan, Javed Ali. UHPLC: Applications in Pharmaceutical Analysis. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2017 May; 7(2):124-131.
2. Roge AB, Firke SN, Dhane RM, Gunjkar VJ, Vadvalkar SM. Novel achievement of HPLC: UPLC. Int. J. Pharm. Tech. Res. 2011 Jul-Sep; 3(3):1423-1429.
3. Malviya R, Bansal V, Pal OP, Sharma PK. High performance liquid chromatography: a short review. Journal of global pharma technology. 2010 Jun; 2(5):22-6.
5. JoVE Science Education Database. Analytical Chemistry. High-Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC). JoVE, Cambridge, MA, (2019).
6. Satinder Ahuja, Michael Dong. Handbook of Pharmaceutical Analysis by HPLC. Elsevier 2005 Feb 09; 600.
7. Chen S, Kord A. Theoretical and experimental comparison of mobile phase consumption between ultra-high-performance liquid chromatography and high performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr. 2009 Aug 21; 1216(34):6204-6209.
8. Lucie Novakova, Dagmar Solichova, Petr Solich. Advantages of ultra performance liquid chromatography over high‐performance liquid chromatography: Comparison of different analytical approaches during analysis of diclofenac gel. Journal of Separation Science banner. 2006 Nov 31; 29(16):2433-2443.
9. Behnam Behrouz, et al Comparison of UHPLC and HPLC in Benzodiazepines Analysis of Postmortem Samples A Case–Control Study. Medicine. 2015 Apr 10; 94(14):e640.
10. Craige Trenerry V. Simone J. Rochfort. Ultra-performance-liquid-chromatography. Comprehensive Natural Products II, 2010.
11. Alan Xu Q. Ultra-high Performance Liquid Chromatography and its Applications, Hoboken, New Jersey, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 2013, 304.
12. International Conference on Harmonization, Guideline on Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and Methodology (Q2 (R1)).
13. Tariq Khalil, et al HPLC Method Development and Validation for the estimation of Esomeprazole in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Int. J. Drug Dev. & Res. 2012 Oct-Dec; 4(4):252-256.
14. Kautsky M. Steroid Analysis by HPLC: Recent Applications. New York. Marcel Dekker inc. 1981 Jul 01; 424
15. Jebaliya H, Patel M, Jadeja Y, Dabhi B, Shah A. A Comparative Validation Study of Fluconazole by HPLC and UPLC with Forced Degradation Study. Chromatography Research International. 2013.
16. Gita Chawla, Chanda Ranjan. Principle, Instrumentation, and Applications of UPLC: A Novel Technique of Liquid Chromatography. Open Chemistry Journal, 2016 May 06; 3:01-16
17. Mezcua M, Aguera A, Lliberia JL, Cortes MA, Bago B, Fernandez-Alba AR. Application of ultra performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry to the analysis of priority pesticides in groundwater. J. Chromatogr. A, 2006, 1109(2): 222-227.
18. Wang W, et al. Detection of urine metabolites in polycystic ovary syndrome by UPLC triple-TOF-MS. 2015 Aug 25; 448:39-47.
20. Setyaningsih W. Palma M, Barroso CG. Comparison of HPLC and UPLC Methods for the Determination of Melatonin in Rice. The 11 International Students Conference Modern Analytical Chemistry. Prague, Czech Republic. 2015 Sep
21. Sood, S. Ultra performance liquid chromatography: An introduction. Journal of Drug Discovery and Therapeutics. 2014 Oct 05; 2(22).