B. Jagadeesan, P. Hari Haran, D. Praveen, P. Ranadheer Chowdary, M. Vijey Aanandhi
B. Jagadeesan1, P. Hari Haran1, D. Praveen2, P. Ranadheer Chowdary2, M. Vijey Aanandhi1*
1Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Analysis, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Vels Institute of Science Technology and Advanced Studies (VISTAS), Chennai, India.
2Research Scholar. School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Vels Institute of Science Technology and Advanced Studies (VISTAS), Chennai, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2021
Pancreatic cancer is characterized as a fatal disease where the healthy cells of the pancreas stops functioning and undergoes uncontrollable cell division. Three types of pancreatic tumors are in existence. They are pancreatic neuroendocrine tumor, pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma and exocrine tumor. Pancreatic cancer stands in the 14th position in causing the most general cancer. In India, the pancreatic cancer incidence is measured at a low point i.e. (0.5-2.4 per 100000) in males and (0.2-1.8 per 100000) in females. Diabetes, smoking habit, excessive alcohol consumption for prolonged years, cholecystectomy, gastrectomy and low intake of fruits and vegetables are considered to be the major risk factors. Smoking termination will be the powerful action to decrease the opportunity of pancreatic cancer. Pancreatitis will lead to the pancreatic cancer. Pancreatitis and diabetes acts as a background disease in the pancreatic cancer. To diagnose pancreatic cancer, Computed Tomography, Magnetic Resonance Imaging technique acts as a first-line and second-line techniques respectively. Surgical treatment is the only treatment believed to be producing the potential cure, with the combination of chemotherapy. The medications prescribed as per USAD are Capecitabine, 5-Flurouracil, Irinotecan, Leucovorin, Oxaliplatin, Nab-paclitaxel. Pancreatic cancer is recognized as life threatening disease in both developed and developing countries.
Cite this article:
B. Jagadeesan, P. Hari Haran, D. Praveen, P. Ranadheer Chowdary, M. Vijey Aanandhi. A Comprehensive Review on Pancreatic Cancer. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(1):552-554. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00100.1
B. Jagadeesan, P. Hari Haran, D. Praveen, P. Ranadheer Chowdary, M. Vijey Aanandhi. A Comprehensive Review on Pancreatic Cancer. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(1):552-554. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00100.1 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-1-100
1. Vincent, A., Herman, J., Schulick, R., Hruban, R, H. and Goggis, M. et al Pancreatic cancer. The Lancet, 378(9791),.607-20.
2. Kaiser M. Pancreatic Cancer. Archives of Surgery. 1985;120(8): 899-903.
3. Yadav D, Lowenfels A. The Epidemiology of Pancreatitis and Pancreatic Cancer. Gastroenterology. 2013;144(6): 1252-61.
4. Kamisawa T, Wood L, Itoi T, Takaori K. Pancreatic cancer. The Lancet. 2016; 388(10039): 73-85.
5. Lanfredini S, Thapa A, O'neill E. RAS in pancreatic cancer. Biochemical Society Transactions. 2019;47(4): 961-72.
6. Larghi A, Rizzatti G, Rimbaş M, Crino S, Gasbarrini A, Costamagna G. EUS-guided radiofrequency ablation as an alternative to surgery for pancreatic neuroendocrine neoplasms: Who should we treat? Endoscopic Ultrasound. 2019;8(4): 220.
7. Ilic M, Ilic I. Epidemiology of pancreatic cancer. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2016;22(44): 9694.
8. Bansal J, Bansal M, Gupta B. Ranking of Indian Universities in Social Sciences: A Scientometric Analysis. SRELS Journal of Information Management. 2018;55(5): 254-64.
9. Thapa P. Epidemiology of Pancreatic and Periampullary Cancer. Indian Journal of Surgery. 2015;77(5): 358-361.
10. Lowenfels A, Maisonneuve P. Epidemiology and risk factors for pancreatic cancer. Best Practice & Research Clinical Gastroenterology. 2006;20(2):197-209.
11. Silverman D, Schiffman M, Everhart J, Goldstein A, Lillemoe K, Swanson G et al. Diabetes mellitus, other medical conditions and familial history of cancer as risk factors for pancreatic cancer. British Journal of Cancer. 1999;80(11): 1830-37
12. Fernandez E, La vecchia C, D'dvanzo B, Braga C, Negri E, Franceschi S. European Journal of Epidemiology. 1997;13(3): 267-73.
13. Lowenfels A, Maisonneuve P. Risk factors for pancreatic cancer. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry. 2005;95(4): 649-56.
14. Krech R, Walsh D. Symptoms of pancreatic cancer. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 1991;6(6): 360-367.
15. Holly E, Chaliha I, Bracci P, Gautam M. Signs and symptoms of pancreatic cancer: a population-based case-control study in the San Francisco Bay area. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2004;2(6): 510-17.
16. Gullo, L., Tomassetti, P., Migliori, M., Casadei, R. and Marrano, D. (2001). Do Early Symptoms of Pancreatic Cancer Exist that Can Allow an Earlier Diagnosis?. Pancreas, 22(2), pp.210-213.
17. Luchini C, Capelli P, Scarpa A. Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma and Its Variants. Surgical Pathology Clinics. 2016;9(4): 547-560.
18. Mcguigan A, Kelly P, Turkington R, Jones C, Coleman H, MC Cain R. Pancreatic cancer: A review of clinical diagnosis, epidemiology, treatment and outcomes. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2018;24(43): 4846-4861.
19. Vasuda K, Mukai H, Fujimoto S, Nakajima M, Kawai K. The diagnosis of pancreatic cancer by endoscopic ultrasonography. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 1988;34(1): 1-8.
20. Pannala R, Basu A, Petersen G, Chari S. New-onset diabetes: a potential clue to the early diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. The Lancet Oncology. 2009; 10(1): 88-95.
21. Villarroel M, Rajesh kumar N, Garrido-laguna I, De Jesus-acosta A, Jones S, Maitra A et al. Personalizing Cancer Treatment in the Age of Global Genomic Analyses: PALB2 Gene Mutations and the Response to DNA Damaging Agents in Pancreatic Cancer. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics. 2010;10(1): 3-8.
22. Wolfgang C, Herman J, Laheru D, Klein A, Erdek M, fishman E et al. Recent progress in pancreatic cancer. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians. 2013;63(5): 318-348.
23. Regine W, Winter K, Abrams R, Safran H, Hoffman J, Konski A et al. Fluorouracil-based Chemoradiation with Either Gemcitabine or Fluorouracil Chemotherapy after Resection of Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma: 5-Year Analysis of the U.S. Intergroup/RTOG 9704 Phase III Trial. Annals of Surgical Oncology. 2011; 18(5): 1319-1326.