K. Ashwini, S Rajeshkumar, Anitha Roy, T Lakshmi
Department of Pharmacology, Saveetha Dental College, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai – 600077, TN, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2021
Aim: To evaluate the antibacterial activity of copper nanoparticles using lodhra bark against Staphylococcus aureus and Lactobacillus species. Introduction: Symplocos racemosa also known as Lodhra, is a drug used by Ayurvedic practitioners. Theroot, bark and leaves of this plant is traditionally used for the treatment of diarrhoea, leprosy, uterine and liver disorders. Materials and methods: The plant extract is prepared by mixing 100 ml of distilled water, boiled and filtered using a filter paper. The copper nanoparticles are prepared by mixing copper sulphate powder to 500 ml of distilled water. Readings were taken frequently, and the synthesis of copper nanoparticles were analysed. Agar well diffusion method was used to evaluate the antimicrobial activity of both S.aureus and Lactobacilli species. Results: S.aureus showed a higher inhibition area than Lactobacillus. Conclusion: There is a future potential for these copper nanoparticles for combating pathogenic microorganisms.
Cite this article:
K. Ashwini, S Rajeshkumar, Anitha Roy, T Lakshmi. Symplocos racemosa bark assisted copper nanoparticles and its Antibacterial activity against Staphylococcus aureus and Lactobacilli species. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(1):300-302. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00054.8
K. Ashwini, S Rajeshkumar, Anitha Roy, T Lakshmi. Symplocos racemosa bark assisted copper nanoparticles and its Antibacterial activity against Staphylococcus aureus and Lactobacilli species. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(1):300-302. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00054.8 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-1-54
1. K.K. Bhutani, A.N. Jadhav, V. Kalia, Effect of Symplocos racemosa Roxb. on gonadotropin release in immature female rats and ovarian histology, J. Ethnopharmacol. 94 (2004) 197-200.
2. Thimmy Johnson, K. Krishnakumar, B. Dineshkumar, Phyto-pharmacological review of Symplocos racemosa bark, J.Bio.Innov7 (4), pp: 611-617, 2018.
3. Acharya N, Acharya S, Shah U, Shah R, Hingorani L. A comprehensive analysis on Symplocos racemosa Roxb.: Traditional uses, botany, phytochemistry and pharmacological activities. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2016 Apr;181:236-251. DOI: 10.1016/j.jep.2016.01.043.
4. Sadhvi B, Rajeshkumar S, Anitha Roy, and Lakshmi T. (2019). Copper oxide nanoparticles synthesis and characterization using UV-vis spectrophotometer and TEM. International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences, 10(4), 2845-2848.
5. Revathi B, Rajeshkumar S, Anitha Roy, and Lakshmi T. (2019). Biosynthesis of copper oxide nanoparticles using herbal formulation and its characterisation. International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences, 10(3), 2117-2119.
6. S. Rajeshkumar, G. Rinitha, Nanostructural characterization of antimicrobial and antioxidant copper nanoparticles synthesized using novel Persea americana seeds, OpenNano (2018), doi: 10.1016/j.onano.2018.03.001
7. Kiran K, S Rajeshkumar In vitro cytotoxic effects of copper nanoparticles synthesized from avocado seed extract Drug Invention Today,11 (1): 107-109.
8. Srijan Sunar, Rajeshkumar S, Anitha Roy, and lakshmi T. (2019). Preparation of herbal formulation and it’s application on nanoparticles synthesis and antibacterial activity. International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences, 10(3), 2177-2180. https://doi.org/10.26452/ijrps.v10i3.1447
9. Santhoshkumar J, Venkat Kumar S Rajeshkumar S, Phyto-assisted synthesis, characterization and applications of gold nanoparticles – A review Biochemistry and Biophysics Reports 11 (2017) 46–57.
10. Menon, S., Rajeshkumar, S., and Kumar, V. (2017). A review on biogenic synthesis of gold nanoparticles, characterization, and its applications. Resource-Efficient Technologies, 3(4), 516-527.
11. Rajeshkumar, S., and Poonam Naik. "Synthesis and biomedical applications of cerium oxide nanoparticles–a review." Biotechnology Reports 17 (2018): 1-5.
12. Vimbela GV, Ngo SM, Fraze C, Yang L, Stout DA. Antibacterial properties and toxicity from metallic nanomaterials [published correction appears in Int J Nanomedicine. 2018 Oct 16;13:6497]. Int J Nanomedicine. 2017;12:3941–3965. Published 2017 May 24. doi:10.2147/IJN.S134526.
13. Agarwal H, Menon S, Kumar SV, Rajeshkumar S. Mechanistic study on antibacterial action of zinc oxide nanoparticles synthesized using green route. Chemico-biological interactions. (2018), 25;286:60-70. doi: 10.1016/j.cbi.2018.03.008.
14. Menon, Soumya, Shrudhi Devi KS, R. Santhiya, S. Rajeshkumar, Venkat Kumar. "Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism." Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 170 (2018): 280-292.
15. Aditya Jain, S Rajeshkumar, Anitha Roy. Anti inflammatory activity of Silver nanoparticles synthesised using Cumin oil. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(6): 2790-2793.
16. Anubhav Das , Anitha Roy , S. Rajeshkumar , T. Lakshmi Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using star fruit leaves and its anti-inflammatory activity Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(7):3507-3510.
17. Happy Agarwal, Soumya Menon, S. Rajeshkumar, S. Venkat Kumar Green synthesis of silver nanoparticle using Kalanchoe pinnata leaf extract and its antibacterial effect against Gram-positive and Gram-negative species 2018 Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2018, 11 (9):3964 – 3968
18. J Meghana Reddy, Roy Anitha, S Rajeshkumar, Thangavelu Lakshmi Characterisation of Cumin oil mediated silver nanoparticles using UV-visible spectrophotometer and TEM Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(10):4931-4933.
19. S. Asha, P. Thirunavukkarasu, S. Rajeshkumar Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using mirabilis jalapa aqueous extract and their antibacterial activity against respective microorganisms (2017) Research Journal of Pharmacy Technology 2017 10(3) : 811-817.
20. S. Vignesh, Anitha Roy, S. Rajeshkumar , T. Lakshmi Evaluation of the Antimicrobial activity of Cumin oil mediated silver nanoparticles on Oral microbes Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2019; 12(8):3709-3712.
21. Soumya Menon, Happy Agarwal, Rajeshkumar S, Venkat Kumar S Anticancer assessment of biosynthesized silver nanoparticles using Mucuna pruriens seed extract on lung cancer treatment 2018, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2018, 11 (9): 3887 - 3891.
22. T Pranati, Roy Anitha, S Rajeshkumar, Thangavelu Lakshmi Preparation of Silver nanoparticles using Nutmeg oleoresin and its Antimicrobial activity against Oral pathogens Research J. Pharm. and Tech. June 2019, 12(6): 2799-2803
23. Trinaina Somas Kandhan1 , Anitha Roy2 , Dr. Lakshmi. T 3 , S. Rajeshkumar Green synthesis of Rosemary oleoresin mediated silver nanoparticles and its effect on Oral pathogens Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(11):5579-5582.
24. U. Kanagavalli, A. Mohamed Sadiq, Sathishkumar, S. Rajeshkumar. Plant Assisted Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles Using Boerhaavia diffusa Leaves Extract and Evolution of Antibacterial Activity. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2016; 9(8):1064-1068.