Anuradha G, Pazhanivel K
Anuradha G1, Pazhanivel K2
1Prof and Head, Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology, Madha Dental College and Hospital, Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
2Post Graduate, Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology, Madha Dental College and Hospital, Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2021
Aim and Objectives: To assess the attitude and awareness about radiation protection among dental surgeons in south Chennai. Materials and Methods: The study participants comprised 150 dental practitioners (general and speciality) in south Chennai. The information was collected from each participant through structured questionnaires regarding attitude and awareness towards radiation protection. Pearson correlation coefficient test was used to assess the validity and reliability of questionnaire, and any P = 0.05 was considered as statistically significant. Results: Of all the 150 dentists enrolled in the study, 69% dental surgeons considered X-ray films as a image receptor. However, majority of the dentists (73%) failed to acquire informed consent of the patient before prescribing dental radiograph. while Majority of dentists were unaware of position and distance rule (54%) and 46% were aware of the rule, it was also found that 59% dental surgeons did not use film holding device and only 41% used film holding device. Majority of them (59%) were aware of AERB certification and 41% were unaware of AERB, 15% of them hold the cone during exposure Conclusion: The current study shows the utmost need for further implementation of radiation protection principle among dental surgeons in south Chennai. Majority of them did not practice radiation protection procedures. Emphasis on radiation safety is mandatory for continuing professional education and development of radiographic selection criteria should be recommended.
Cite this article:
Anuradha G, Pazhanivel K. Awareness of Radiation protection among Dental surgeons in south Chennai -A Questionnaire study. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(1):321-324. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00059.7
Anuradha G, Pazhanivel K. Awareness of Radiation protection among Dental surgeons in south Chennai -A Questionnaire study. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(1):321-324. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00059.7 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-1-59
1. Praveen BN, Shubhasini AR, Bhanushree R, Sumsum PS, Sushma CN. Radiation in Dental Practice: Awareness, Protection and Recommendations. J Contemp Dent Pract 2013; 14(1):143-148
2. Arnout EA, Jafar A. Awareness of Biological Hazards and Radiation Protection Techniques of Dental Imaging A Questionnaire Based Cross Sectional Study among Saudi Dental Students. J Dent Health Oral Disord Ther 2014; 1(1):23-28.
3. White and Pharoah. Oral Radiology Principles and Interpretation. 5th ed. Missouri: Elsevier publishers; 2004. pp. 55 65
4. İlgüy D, İlgüy M, Dinçer S, Bayirli G. Survey of dental radiological practice in Turkey. Dentomaxillofac Radiol 2005; 34:222-227
5. Math SY, Murugeshappa DG, Annigeri R, Kalra D. Compliance of Indian dentists with oral radiology safety measures. J Oral Maxillofac Radiol 2013; 1:104–10.
6. Kaviani F, Esmaeili F, Balayi E, Pourfattollah N. Evaluation of X-ray protection methods used in dental offices in Tabriz in 2005–2006. J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospects 2007; 1: 49-52.
7. Asha, Veena SN, Krupashankar R, Kavitha AP, Shobha R. Jijin MJ, et al. Awareness towards radiation protection measures among dental practitioners in Coorg district: A questionnaire study. Int J Dent Health Sci 2015; 2(6):1460-1465
8. Amanpreet K, Neeta M, Deepak U, Shiva Kumar GC, Singh P. Awareness of radiation protection measures of dental imaging among private dental practitioners in Lucknow city‑ A questionnaire survey. Int J Maxillofac Imaging 2015; 1:1‑5.