Nurhabibah, A.K. Nugroho, Ronny Martien, Endang Lukitaningsih
Nurhabibah1,2, A.K. Nugroho1*, Ronny Martien1, Endang Lukitaningsih1
1Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Gadjah Mada, Sekip Utara, D.I Yogyakarta 55281, Indonesia.
2Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Science, University of Garut, Garut, West Java 44151, Indonesia.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 12,
Year - 2021
This study aimed to determine the solubility of lovastatin (LV) in different oil, surfactant, and co-surfactant using the high-performance liquid chromatography method. LV was solubility studies in different vehicle. The different vehicle used almond oil, sunflower oil, oleic acid, olive oil, soybean oil, and corn oil, isoprophyl myristate, myoglyol, tween 80, tween 20, and cremophor R.H. 40, propylene glycol, and PEG 400. Each of them was added lovastatin until saturated. The mixtures were mixing, sonicating, putting in the water bath and standing for 24 hours, then centrifugated. Each of the aliquot 2 µL diluted with acetonitrile and determination of concentration lovastatin using HPLC, with detector ultraviolet at 237 nm. Before determinate LV validated, and curve calibration at range 2-16 µg/mL was made. This study using the HPLC method with detector UV 237 nm, Agilent C 18 (4.6 x 150 mm 5 µ) column, and acetonitrile: water (70:30 v/v) as mobile phase. Calibration curve of lovastatin at the range 2-16 µg/mL with linear regression 0.999. Accuracy and precision showed that. Lovastatin has high soluble in oleic acid, tween 80, and PEG 400.
Cite this article:
Nurhabibah, A.K. Nugroho, Ronny Martien, Endang Lukitaningsih. Solubility Studies and Validation of Lovastatin using High Performance Liquid Chromatography Method. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(12):6285-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.01087
Nurhabibah, A.K. Nugroho, Ronny Martien, Endang Lukitaningsih. Solubility Studies and Validation of Lovastatin using High Performance Liquid Chromatography Method. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(12):6285-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.01087 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-12-17
1. Hiral A Makadia, Y Bhatt, Yamesh B Parmar, Jalpa S Paun and H M Tank. Self Nano Emulsifying Drug Delivery System (SNEDDS) Future Aspect. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2013; 3: 20–26.
2. Sonawale, P., Patil, A., Kamble, A. and Bhutkar, M. Solubility Enhancement of Lipophilic Drugs - Solid Self Micro-Emulsifying Drug Delivery System. Asian J. Pharm. Technol. 2016; 6: 155–158.
3. Potphode, V. R., Deshmukh, A. S. and Mahajan, V. R. Self-Micro Emulsifying Drug Delivery System: An Approach for Enhancement of Bioavailability of Poorly Water Soluble Drugs. Asian J. Pharm. Technol. 2016; 6: 159–168.
4. Zolkiflee, N. F., Majeed, A. and Affandi, M. M. M. Lovastatin: history, physicochemistry, pharmacokinetics and enhanced solubility. in vol. 2017; 8: 90–120.
5. Casula M et al. Statin use and risk of new-onset diabetes: A meta-analysis of observational studies. Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Disease. 2017; 27: 396–406.
6. Bhairav, B. A., Bachhav, J. K. and Saudagar, R. B. Review on Solubility Enhancement Techniques. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 201; 6: 147–152.
7. Saxena, S. and Jain, S. A Review on Biopharmaceutical Classification System. Asian J. Pharm. Technol. 201; 9: 267–270.
8. Mallikarjun, C, Q., MJ and Kian G Wong. Enhancement of solubility and therapeutic potential of poorly soluble lovastatin by SMEDDS formulation adsorbed on directly compressed spray dried magnesium aluminometasilicate liquid loadable tablets: A study in diet induced hyperlipidemic rabbits. 2015; doi:10.1016
9. Shaikh, K., Patwekar, S., Payghan, S. and D’Souza, J. Dissolution and Stability Enhancement of Poorly Water Soluble Drug – Lovastatin by Preparing Solid Dispersions. Asian J. Biomed. Pharm. Sci. 2011; 9.
10. Khanfar, M. and Al-Nimry, S. Stabilization and Amorphization of Lovastatin Using Different Types of Silica. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2017; 18: 2358–2367.
11. K Basavaraj, Derkar GK, Bechra HM, Nakwade VK and Manvi FV. Design and Characterization of Nanocrystals of Lovastatin for Solubility and Dissolution Enhancement. Journal of Nanomedicine and Nanotechnology. 2011; 2: 2–7.
12. Baloch, J. et al. Self-Nanoemulsifying Drug Delivery System (SNEDDS) for Improved Oral Bioavailability of Chlorpromazine: In Vitro and In Vivo Evaluation. Medicina (Mex.). 2019; 55.
13. Dehghani F and Farhadian N. Preparation, Characterization, and in vivo evaluation of Microemulsions Containing Tamoxifen Citrate Anti Cancer Drug. Euorpean Journ Pharm Sci. 2016; 96: 479–489.
14. Parmar, K., Patel, J. and Sheth, N. Self nano-emulsifying drug delivery system for Embelin: Design, characterization and in-vitro studies. Asian J. Pharm. Sci. 20154; 10: 396–404.
15. Misic Z, Jung DS, Sydow G and Kuentz M. Understanding the interactions of oleic acid with basic drugs in solid lipids on different biopharmaceuticals level. J Excip. Food Chem. 5: 113–134.
16. Kazusaki, M., Ueda, S., Takeuchi, N. and Ohgami, Y. Validation of analytical procedures by high−performance liquid chromatography for pharmaceutical analysis. Chromatography. 2012; 33: 65–73.
17. Patil, S. D., Amurutkar, S. V. and Upasani, C. D. Development and Validation of Stability Indicating RP-HPLC Method for Empagliflozin. Asian J. Pharm. Anal. 2016; 6: 201–206.
18. Bhavya, B., Nagaraju, P., Mounika, V. and Priyadarshini, G. I. Stability Indicating RP-HPLC Method Development and Validation for Simultaneous Estimation of Albendazole and Ivermectin in Pharmaceutical Dosage form. Asian J. Pharm. Anal. 2017; 7: 6–14.
19. Phale, M. D. and Hamrapurkar, P. D. A Validated and Simplified RP-HPLC of Metoprolol Succinate from Bulk Drugs. Asian J. Res. Chem. 2009; 2: 119–122.
20. Katkade, P. N. and Saudagar, R. B. Validated UV- Spectroscopic estimation of Simvastatin Concentration in Bulk and Dosage form. Asian J. Res. Chem. 2016; 9: 293–295.
21. Akula, G., Venkatesh, B., Sanjayraj, K., Phanindra, S. S. and Jaswanth, A. Validated RP-HPLC Method for the Simultaneous Estimation of Simvastatin and Niacin. Asian J. Res. Chem. 2016; 9 : 62–66.
22. Ladke, A., Ingle, A., Ranaware, P. and Damle, M. Development and validation of stability indicating HPLC method for Rosuvastatin calcium and Fenofibrate in combination. Asian J. Res. Chem. 2012; 5: 606–610.
23. Urban, M. C. C., Mainardes, R. M. and Gremião, M. P. D. Development and validation of HPLC method for analysis of dexamethasone acetate in microemulsions. Braz. J. Pharm. Sci. 2009; 45: 87–92.
24. International Conference Harmonization. Validation of Analytic Procedure : Text and methodology. in European medicines agency.
25. Malik, M., Ahmad, M., Minhas, M. and Munir, A. Solubility and Permeability Studies of Aceclofenac in Different Oils. Trop. J. Pharm. Res. 2014; 13: 327.
26. Rowe, R.C., Sheskey, PJ. and Waller, PJ. Handbook of Pharmaceutical Excipients. in (Pharmaceutical Press, London).