Rasha N. Mohammed, Hanan H. Ramadhan, Falah H. Shari
Rasha N. Mohammed1*, Hanan H. Ramadhan2, Falah H. Shari2
1Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, College of Pharmacy, University of Basrah, Basrah, Iraq.
2Department of Clinical Laboratory Science, College of Pharmacy, University of Basrah, Basrah, Iraq.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 12,
Year - 2021
Annona muricata, an herbal plant commonly used in traditional medicine to manage numerous diseases, diabetes as other diseases could be managed with herbal medicine. This study was designed to be investigated the antidiabetic, hypolipidemic, renal protective, and antioxidant effects of aqueous extracts of Annona muricata as used alone or combined with metformin in streptozotocin (STZ)-induced diabetic rats. Methods: the study was involved twenty adult Wister albino rats in four groups (five rats in each) and designated as groups, control group (1), and experimental groups (2, 3, 4). Diabetes was induced in experimental groups by 60 mg/kg intravenous streptozotocin injection. Group 2: serves as a diabetic control group, Group 3: diabetic rats treated with oral administration of 100 mg/kg of Annona muricata aqueous extract, Group 4: diabetic rats treated with combination (100 mg/kg aqueous extract of Annona muricata + 50 mg/kg metformin). The treatment continuous daily for 4 weeks to determine the levels of blood glucose and biochemical analysis. Result: aqueous extract of Annona muricata was reduced the serum glucose level effectively in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats, by 48% and 55% after 28 consecutive days of treatment when used alone and with metformin, respectively. These compared to the preliminary values and the reduction was statistically significant compared to a diabetic control group. Daily oral administration of 100 mg/kg aqueous extract of Annona muricata for 4 weeks to streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats significantly reduced the level of total cholesterol, urea, creatinine, and MDA, whereas the reduction was non-significant in triglyceride and VLDL-cholesterol levels as compared to the non-treated diabetic group. However, the reduction is more significant in streptozotocin-induced diabetes rats that were treated with a combination of Annona muricata and metformin when compared to the diabetic control group. Conclusion: Aqueous extracts of Annona muricata have anti-diabetic action through their hypoglycemic, hypolipidemic, renal protective, and antioxidant effects in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Thus, can be used alone or with anti-hyperglycemic drugs as metformin in the management of DM. The combination is preferred in severe hyperglycemic cases with more hypoglycemic effect requirements.
Cite this article:
Rasha N. Mohammed, Hanan H. Ramadhan, Falah H. Shari. Hypoglycemic, Hypolipidemic, Renal Protective and Antioxidant Activity of Annona muricata in Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic Rats. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(12):6484-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.01121
Rasha N. Mohammed, Hanan H. Ramadhan, Falah H. Shari. Hypoglycemic, Hypolipidemic, Renal Protective and Antioxidant Activity of Annona muricata in Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic Rats. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(12):6484-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.01121 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-12-51
1. Dewangan V and Pandey H. Pathophysiology and Management of Diabetes: A Review. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics 2017; 9: 219-222.
2. Forouhi NG and Wareham NJ. Epidemiology of diabetes. Medicine 2019; 47: 22-27.
3. Chehade JM, Gladysz M and Mooradian AD. Dyslipidemia in type 2 diabetes: prevalence, pathophysiology, and management. Drugs 2013; 73: 327-339.
4. Sharma P and Malik S. Knowledge on Management of Diabetes Mellitus among Patients with type II Diabetes Mellitus in a Selected Community Health Centre of Dadra and Nagar Haveli Area. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research 2019; 9: 109-112.
5. Alwan IA, Lim V, Abd Samad N, et al. Effect of Annona Muricata L. on Metabolic Parameters in Diabetes Mellitus: A Systematic Review. Current Research in Nutrition and Food Science Journal 2020; 8: 01-11.
6. Shari FH, Ramadhan HH, Mohammed RN, et al. Hypolipidemic and Antioxidant Effects of Fenugreek-Nigella Sativa Combination on Diabetic Patients in Iraq. Systematic Reviews in Pharmacy 2020; 11: 911-915.
7. Adewole SO and Caxton-Martins EA. Morphological changes and hypoglycemic effects of Annona muricata linn.(annonaceae) leaf aqueous extract on pancreatic β-cells of streptozotocin-treated diabetic rats. African Journal of Biomedical Research 2006; 9.
8. Shafiee-Nick R, Ghorbani A, Vafaee Bagheri F, et al. Chronic administration of a combination of six herbs inhibits the progression of hyperglycemia and decreases serum lipids and aspartate amino transferase activity in diabetic rats. Advances in pharmacological sciences 2012; 2012.
9. Yousef F, Yousef N, Mansour O, et al. Metformin: a unique herbal origin medication. Global J Med Res 2017; 17.
10. Babu A, Veerasamy R and Sivadasan S. Metformin-A drug of plant origin. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2018; 11: 2701-2708.
11. Pandeya SN, Kumar R, Kumar A, et al. Antidiabetics Review on Natural Products. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2010; 3: 300-318.
12. Kumari MS, Babu MK, Sulthana R, et al. Diabetes Mellitus: Present status and Drug therapy Updates. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2014; 7: 84-94.
13. Moghadamtousi SZ, Fadaeinasab M, Nikzad S, et al. Annona muricata (Annonaceae): a review of its traditional uses, isolated acetogenins and biological activities. International journal of molecular sciences 2015; 16: 15625-15658.
14. HASAN ASBC. SCREENING FOR PHYTOCHEMICAL AND ANTIMICROBIAL PROPERTIES OF Annona muricata L. LEAF.
15. Hajdu Z and Hohmann J. An ethnopharmacological survey of the traditional medicine utilized in the community of Porvenir, Bajo Paraguá Indian Reservation, Bolivia. J Ethnopharmacol 2012; 139: 838-857. 2012/01/10. DOI: 10.1016/j.jep.2011.12.029.
16. Abdul Wahab SM, Jantan I, Haque MA, et al. Exploring the Leaves of Annona muricata L. as a Source of Potential Anti-inflammatory and Anticancer Agents. Front Pharmacol 2018; 9: 661. 2018/07/06. DOI: 10.3389/fphar.2018.00661.
17. Pai BM, Rajesh G, Shenoy R, et al. Anti-microbial Efficacy of Soursop Leaf Extract (Annona muricata) on Oral Pathogens: An In-vitro Study. J Clin Diagn Res 2016; 10: Zc01-zc04. 2017/01/05. DOI: 10.7860/jcdr/2016/18329.8762.
18. Padma P, Pramod N, Thyagarajan S, et al. Effect of the extract of Annona muricata and Petunia nyctaginiflora on Herpes simplex virus. Journal of ethnopharmacology 1998; 61: 81-83.
19. Feng PC, Haynes L, Magnus KE, et al. Pharmacological screening of some West Indian medicinal plants. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology 1962; 14: 556-561.
20. Florence NT, Benoit MZ, Jonas K, et al. Antidiabetic and antioxidant effects of Annona muricata (Annonaceae), aqueous extract on streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Journal of ethnopharmacology 2014; 151: 784-790.
21. N'gouemo P, Koudogbo B, Tchivounda HP, et al. Effects of ethanol extract of Annona muricata on pentylenetetrazol‐induced convulsive seizures in mice. Phytotherapy Research: An International Journal Devoted to Medical and Scientific Research on Plants and Plant Products 1997; 11: 243-245.
22. Bitar R, Fakhoury R, Fahmi R, et al. Histopathological effects of the Annona muricata aqueous leaves extract on the liver and kidneys of albino mice. Transl Med 2017; 7: 2161-1025.1000194.
23. Dayeef AY, Karyono S and Sujuti H. The influence of Annona muricata leaves extract in damaging kidney cell and inducing caspase-9 activity. J Pharm Biol Sci 2013; 8: 48-52.
24. Justino AB, Miranda NC, Franco RR, et al. Annona muricata Linn. leaf as a source of antioxidant compounds with in vitro antidiabetic and inhibitory potential against α-amylase, α-glucosidase, lipase, non-enzymatic glycation and lipid peroxidation. Biomed Pharmacother 2018; 100: 83-92. 2018/02/10. DOI: 10.1016/j.biopha.2018.01.172.
25. Coria-Téllez AV, Montalvo-Gónzalez E, Yahia EM, et al. Annona muricata: A comprehensive review on its traditional medicinal uses, phytochemicals, pharmacological activities, mechanisms of action and toxicity. Arabian Journal of Chemistry 2018; 11: 662-691.
26. Wijaya ASWAS. The Effect of Ethanol Extract of Soursop Leaves (Annona muricata L.) to Decreased Levels of Malondialdehyde. Jurnal Majority 2015; 4.
27. Keyser J and Spillane MT. Estimation of Blood Glucose by Glucose Oxidase Methods: The Effect of Fluoride. Proceedings of the Association of Clinical Biochemists 1963; 2: 217-218.
28. Akbarzadeh A, Norouzian D, Mehrabi MR, et al. Induction of diabetes by Streptozotocin in rats. Indian J Clin Biochem 2007; 22: 60-64. 2007/09/01. DOI: 10.1007/bf02913315.
29. Andallu B, Kumar AV and Varadacharyulu NC. Lipid abnormalities in streptozotocin-diabetes: amelioration by Morus indica L. cv Suguna leaves. International journal of diabetes in developing countries 2009; 29: 123.
30. Manikandan R and Sarumathy S. Clinical study on assessment of lipid Profile and renal function in type 2 Diabetic patients-A Retrospective Study. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2018; 11: 1624-1626.
31. Adeyemi D, Komolafe O, Adewole O, et al. Histomorphological and morphometric studies of the pancreatic islet cells of diabetic rats treated with extracts of Annona muricata. Folia morphologica 2010; 69: 92-100.
32. Panari H and Vegunarani M. Study on complications of diabetes mellitus among the diabetic patients. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research 2016; 6: 171-182.
33. Ravi K, Jose R, Sumitha S, et al. An overview of treatment challenges and the role of herbal antioxidants in diabetes mellitus. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2017; 10: 2765-2770.
34. Deore ND, Gupta S, Shrivastav B, et al. Anti-Diabetic potential of a polyherbal formulation-A review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2018; 11: 2625-2630.
35. Jacob B and Narendhirakannan R. Role of medicinal plants in the management of diabetes mellitus: a review. 3 Biotech 2019; 9: 4.
36. Bhanushali S, Modh K, Anand I, et al. Novel Approaches for Diabetes Mellitus: A Review. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics 2010; 2: 141-147.
37. Szkudelski T and Szkudelska K. Streptozotocin induces lipolysis in rat adipocytes in vitro. Physiological research 2002; 51: 255-260.
38. Ojewole JA. Antinociceptive, anti-inflammatory and antidiabetic effects of Bryophyllum pinnatum (Crassulaceae) leaf aqueous extract. Journal of ethnopharmacology 2005; 99: 13-19.
39. Fayed T. Effect of Nigella sativa or fish oil supplementation in alloxan diabetic rats. J Union Arab Biol 1998; 9: 237-250.
40. Adeyemi DO, Komolafe OA, Adewole OS, et al. Anti hyperglycemic activities of Annona muricata (Linn). African Journal of Traditional, Complementary, and Alternative Medicines 2009; 6: 62.
41. Gavamukulya Y, Wamunyokoli F and El-Shemy HA. Annona muricata: Is the natural therapy to most disease conditions including cancer growing in our backyard? A systematic review of its research history and future prospects. Asian Pacific journal of tropical medicine 2017; 10: 835-848.
42. Vidona WB1 AW, Akunneh wariso C3 and Amah AK4. Evaluation of The Weight and Sugar Level Upon
1. Administration of Aqueous Extract of the Pulp
2. of Annona Muricata on Alloxan Induced Diabetic
3. Adult Wistar. journal of complemantary medicine and alternative healthcare 2019; 10. DOI: 10.19080/JCMAH.2019.10.555793.
43. Michael UA, David BU, Theophine CO, et al. Antidiabetic effect of combined aqueous leaf extract of vernonia amygdalina and metformin in rats. J Basic Clin Pharm 2010; 1: 197-202. 2010/06/01.
44. Ahalya B, Shankar KR and Kiranmayi G. Exploration of anti-hyperglycemic and hypolipidemic activities of ethanolic extract of Annona muricata bark in alloxan induced diabetic rats. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2014; 25: 21-27.
45. Henry JB and AuBuchon JP. Clinical diagnosis and management by laboratory methods. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine 1997; 121: 1016.
46. Ananthan R, Latha M, Ramkumar K, et al. Effect of Gymnema montanum leaves on serum and tissue lipids in alloxan diabetic rats. Experimental Diabesity Research 2003; 4.
47. Dabla PK. Renal function in diabetic nephropathy. World journal of diabetes 2010; 1: 48.
48. Usunobun U and Okolie N. Effect of Annona muricata pre-treatment on liver synthetic ability, kidney function and hematological parameters in dimethylnitrosamine (DMN)-administered rats. Int J Med 2016; 4: 1-5.
49. Aragno M, Mastrocola R, Catalano MG, et al. Oxidative stress impairs skeletal muscle repair in diabetic rats. Diabetes 2004; 53: 1082-1088.