Mohammed A. Darwish, Sudhir R. Varma, Adil O. Mageet
Mohammed A. Darwish1, Sudhir R. Varma2, Adil O. Mageet3,4⁎
1General Dentist, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Gezira, Gezira, Sudan.
2Clinical Assistant Professor, Faculty of Dentistry, Department of Clinical Sciences, Ajman University, Ajman, UAE. Center of Medical and Bioallied Health Sciences Research, Ajman University, Ajman, UAE.
3Professor of Orthodontics, European University College, Dubai Healthcare City, Dubai, UAE.
4Department of Orthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Gezira, Gezira State, Sudan.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 12,
Year - 2021
Dental professionals routinely use root canal treatment (RCT) worldwide to treat pulpal and periapical infections. Antibiotics are overprescribed for RCT patients with little regard to the prescription guidelines, as documented in many recent studies; this results in irreversible effects on public health. This study measures dental students' knowledge at the University of Gezira (UoG) for the most current American Dental Association (ADA) guidelines and assessing their relative compliance with these guidelines. Material and Method: This a cross-sectional study conducted among fourth and fifth-year students (142) at the Faculty of Dentistry at the UoG, using a multi-sectional questionnaire. The questionnaire consists of sections that evaluate the students' knowledge of the 2019 ADA guidelines, implement these guidelines, and students' opinions regarding bacterial resistance and the curriculum of the dental schools in Sudan. Results: 41.6% of the students' responses regarding the 2019 ADA guidelines were wrong, 30% of all the prescribed antibiotics for RCTs in Wad Madani dental teaching hospital were not in line with the recent guidelines. 81% reported a lack of knowledge about antibiotics prescription guidelines among dentists and dental students in Sudan, and 87% said there is a need to refine the curriculum of dental schools in Sudan. Conclusion: There was a lack of familiarity among dental students about the 2019 ADA guidelines and the incomplete implementation of these guidelines in RCTs; there is a need to refine dental education, clinical systems, and legislation to minimise unnecessary antibiotics prescriptions.
Cite this article:
Mohammed A. Darwish, Sudhir R. Varma, Adil O. Mageet. Implementation of Antibiotic Guidelines in a Dental Teaching Hospital in Sudan. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(12):6601-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.01141
Mohammed A. Darwish, Sudhir R. Varma, Adil O. Mageet. Implementation of Antibiotic Guidelines in a Dental Teaching Hospital in Sudan. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(12):6601-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.01141 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-12-71
1. Holliday, R. Cohen's. Pathways of the pulp, 10th edition. British Dental Journal. 2011; 210(5): 242-242.
2. Teixeira, FB. Endodontics: Principles and Practice (Book Review). Journal of Endodontics. 2009; 35(7): 1066.
3. Hena Mariam Fathima, R.V.Geetha. Evaluation of Anti Bacterial Activity of Endodontic Sealers in Combination with Clove Oil. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(8): 3355-3358.
4. Pooja Umaiyal. M. Awareness of Root Canal Treatment among People. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2016; 9(7):779-781.
5. AAE Position Statement. Journal of Endodontics. 2017; 43(9), 1409-1413.
6. Fouad AF. Are antibiotics effective for endodontic pain? Endodontic Topics. 2002; 3(1): 52-66.
7. Saveetha University, Chennai. Use of Antibiotics in Endodontics – Clinical Practice Guidelines. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2019; 12(1): 419-424.
8. Aminoshariae A, Kulild JC. Evidence-based recommendations for antibiotic usage to treat endodontic infections and pain: A systematic review of randomised controlled trials J Am Dent Assoc. 2016; 147(3): 186-191.
9. Lockhart PB, Tampi MP, Abt E, Durkin MJ, Fouad AF, Gopal P, Hatten BW, Kennedy E, Lang MS, Patton LL, Paumier T, Suda KJ, Pilcher L, Urquhart O, O'Brien KK, Carrasco-Labra A. Evidence-based clinical practice guideline on antibiotic use for the urgent management of pulpal- and periapical-related dental pain and intraoral swelling: A report from the American Dental Association. J Am Dent Assoc. 2019;150(11):906-921. e12.
10. Walton RE, Chiappinelli J. Prophylactic penicillin: Effect on posttreatment symptoms following root canal treatment of asymptomatic periapical pathosis. J Endod. 1993; 19(9): 466-470.
11. Pickenpaugh L, Reader A, Beck M, Meyers W, Peterson L. Effect of Prophylactic Amoxicillin on Endodontic Flare-Up in Asymptomatic, Necrotic Teeth. J Endod. 2001; 27(1): 53-56.
12. Henry M, Reader A, Beck M. Effect of penicillin on postoperative endodontic pain and swelling in symptomatic necrotic teeth. J Endod. 2001; 27: 117-123.
13. Fouad AF, Rivera EM, Walton RE. Penicillin as a supplement in resolving the localised acute apical abscess. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 1996; 81(5): 590-595.
14. Trope M. Flare-up rate of single-visit endodontics. International Endodontic Journal. 1991; 24 (1): 24-27.
15. Walton R. and Fouad, A. Endodontic interappointment flare-Ups: A prospective study of incidence and related factors. Journal of Endodontics. 1992; 18(4): 172-177.
16. Pallasch, TJ. Pharmacokinetic principles of antimicrobial therapy. Periodontology. 2000; 10(1): 5-11.
17. Demirjian, Alicia, Guillermo V. Sanchez, Jonathan A. Finkelstein, Shari M. Ling, Arjun Srinivasan, Lori A. Pollack, Lauri A. Hicks, and John K. Iskander. "CDC Grand Rounds: Getting Smart About Antibiotics." Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. 2015; 64(32): 871-873.
18. Kishnani Khushboo, Bhandari Saloni, Rathore Kamal Singh. A Briefing of a Global Crisis: Antibiotic Resistance. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2020; 10(4):264-272.
19. Sreeja. M.K, Gowrishankar N.L, Adisha. S, Divya. KC Antibiotic Resistance-Reasons and the Most Common Resistant Pathogens – A Review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(6): 1886-1890.
20. Nanda Anima, Dhamodharan S, Nayak B. K.. Antibiotic Resistance Pattern Exhibited by Esbl (Extended Spectrum β-Lactamases) in Multidrug-Resistant Strains, Escherichia coli. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2017; 10(11): 3705-3708.
21. Chaudhry D, Tomar P. Antimicrobial resistance: the next BIG pandemic. International Journal of Community Medicine and Public Health. 2017; 4(8): 2632-2636.
22. Review on Antimicrobial Resistance. Tackling a crisis for the health and wealth of nations. London, United Kingdom: Review on Antimicrobial Resistance; 2014.
23. AboAlSamh A, Alhussain A, Alanazi N, Alahmari R, Shaheen N, Adlan A. Dental Students' Knowledge and Attitudes towards Antibiotic Prescribing Guidelines in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Pharmacy (Basel). 2018; 6(2): 42.
24. Segura-Egea JJ, Martín-González J, Jiménez-Sánchez M del C, Crespo-Gallardo I, Saúco-Márquez JJ, Velasco-Ortega E. Worldwide pattern of antibiotic prescription in endodontic infections. International Dental Journal. 2017; 67(4): 197-205.
25. Bye M, Whitten T, Holzbauer S. Antibiotic Prescribing for Dental Procedures in Community-Associated Clostridium difficile cases, Minnesota, 2009-2015. Open Forum Infectious Diseases. 2017; 4, Issue suppl. Page S1.
26. Vessal G, Khabiri A, Mirkhani H, Cookson BD, Askarian M. Study of antibiotic prescribing among dental practitioners in Shiraz, Islamic Republic of Iran. East Mediterr Health J. 2011; 17(10): 763-769.
27. Konde S, Jairam LS, Peethambar P, Noojady SR, Kumar NC. Antibiotic overusage and resistance: A cross-sectional survey among pediatric dentists. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent. 2016;34(2):145-151.
28. Lauri A Hicks, Monina G Bartoces, Rebecca M Roberts, Katie J Suda, Robert J Hunkler, Thomas H Taylor Jr, Stephanie J Schrag. US Outpatient Antibiotic Prescribing Variation According to Geography, Patient Population, and Provider Specialty in 2011. Clin Infect Dis. 2015; 60(9): 1308-1316.
29. Marra F, George D, Chong M, Sutherland S, Patrick D M. Antibiotic prescribing by dentists has increased: Why? J Am Dent Assoc 2016; 147(5): 320-327.
30. Ahmed MF, Elseed AI, Ibrahim YE. Root canal treatment in general practice in Sudan. International Endodontic Journal. 2000; 33(4): 316-319.
31. Peker I, Alkurt MT. Oral Health Attitudes and Behavior among a Group of Turkish Dental Students. Eur J Dent. 2009; 3(1): 24-31.
32. Nieminen P, Uma E, Pal S, Laitala M-L, Lappalainen O-P, Varghese E. Information Retrieval and Awareness about Evidence-Based Dentistry among Dental Undergraduate Students—A Comparative Study between Students from Malaysia and Finland. Dent. J., 2020, 8, 103.
33. Secretary ESE, Dr Claus Löst, Zentrum für Zahn‐, Mund‐ und Kieferheikunde, Poliklinik für Zahnerhaltung, Universitätsklinikum Tübingen, Osianderstrasse, 2–8, D‐72076 Tübingen, Germany. Undergraduate Curriculum Guidelines for Endodontology. International Endodontic Journal. 2001; 34(8): 574-580.
34. Ramadan AM, Al Rikaby OA, Abu-Hammad OA, Dar-Odeh NS. Knowledge and Attitudes Towards Antibiotic Prescribing Among Dentists in Sudan Pesqui. Bras. Odontopediatria Clín. Integr. 2019; 19(1): 1-10.
35. Halboub E, Alzaili A, Quadri MF, Al-Haroni M, Al-Obaida MI, Al-Hebshi NN. Antibiotic Prescription Knowledge of Dentists in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia: An Online, Country-wide Survey. The Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice. 2016; 17(3): 198-204.
36. Al Khuzaei NM, Assery MK, Al Rahbeni T, Al Mansoori M. Knowledge of Antibiotics among dentists in Saudi Arabia. J Int Oral Health. 2017; 9: 71-80.
37. Suda KJ, Calip GS, Rowan SJ, Gross AE, Hershow RC, Perez RI, McGregor JC, Evans CT. Assessment of the Appropriateness of Antibiotic Prescriptions for Infection Prophylaxis Before Dental Procedures, 2011 to 2015. JAMA Netw Open. 2019; 2(5): e193909.
38. Cope AL, Francis NA, Wood F, Chestnutt IG. Antibiotic prescribing in UK general dental practice: a cross-sectional study. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2016; 44(2): 145-153.
39. Thompson W, Tonkin-Crine S, Pavitt S H et al. Factors associated with antibiotic prescribing for adults with acute conditions: an umbrella review across primary care and a systematic review focusing on primary dental care. J Antimicrob Chemother 2019; 74(8): 2139-2152.
40. Sebastian R, Drum M, Reader Al, Nusstein J, Fowler S, Beck M. What Is the Effect of No Endodontic Debridement on Postoperative Pain for Symptomatic Teeth with Pulpal Necrosis? Journal of Endodontics. 2016; 42(3): 378-382.