Indah Widyaningsih, Sanarto Santoso, Dwi Yuni Nur Hidayati, Susanthy Djajalaksana
Indah Widyaningsih1,2*, Sanarto Santoso3, Dwi Yuni Nur Hidayati3, Susanthy Djajalaksana1,4
1Doctoral Program of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Brawijaya University, Malang 65145, Indonesia.
2Faculty of Medicine, Wijaya Kusuma University Surabaya, Surabaya 60189, Indonesia.
3Laboratory of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Brawijaya University, Malang 65145, Indonesia.
4Department of Pulmonology, Saiful Anwar General Hospital, Malang 65111, Indonesia.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 12,
Year - 2021
Mycobacterium tuberculosis is an intracellular pathogen that can replicate in host macrophages. This research examined the medication mechanism of mangosteen peel extract as anti-tuberculosis towards rats infected by Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv. The mangosteen peel has chemical antituberculosis properties, such as xanthone, flavonoid, and tanin. Rats were invected by M. tuberculosis 105 (100 µl) by intratracheal for 4 weeks, then divided into 6 experimental groups: K1 (infected rats were treated by standard feed); K2 (infected rats were treated by INH); P1 (infected rats were treated by INH and extract 100mg/kg BW/day); P2 (infected rats were treated by INH and extract 200mg/kg BW/day); P3 (infected rats were treated by INH and extract 300mg/kg BW/day); and P4 (infected rats were treated by INH and extract 400mg/kg BW/day). INH and extract were administered orally for 4 weeks. On the 29th rats were euthanized to collect the left lung for MDA measurement and germs planting, and the right lung was collected for Hematoxyline eosin preparation. The data was analyzed by SPSS. The mangosteen peel ethanolic extract showed significant differences between treatments towards Tuberculotic rats treated by INH. The MDA level decreased with a value of p=0,000 (p<0,005) r= 82,2% ; the decrease of colony count with a value of p=0,000(p<0,005) r= 93,3%; the decrease of pulmonary damage level score with p=0,001(p<0,005) r= 50%. Mangosteen peel ethanolic extract reduced MDA levels, colony counts, and lung damage levels at a dose of 200mg/kg BW/day of tuberculosis-model rats.
Cite this article:
Indah Widyaningsih, Sanarto Santoso, Dwi Yuni Nur Hidayati, Susanthy Djajalaksana. The effect of ethanolic extract of mangosteen peel to malondialdehyde level, colony number, and pulmonary damage level score of tuberculosis model rats. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(12):6710-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.01159
Indah Widyaningsih, Sanarto Santoso, Dwi Yuni Nur Hidayati, Susanthy Djajalaksana. The effect of ethanolic extract of mangosteen peel to malondialdehyde level, colony number, and pulmonary damage level score of tuberculosis model rats. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(12):6710-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.01159 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-12-89
1. WHO. Tuberculosis. (online). Available from: URL: http://www.who.int/mediacenter/factsheets/fs104/en. [Accessed on March 10, 2017].
2. Ana S. Evaluasi Kepatuhan Penggunaan Obat Pada Pasien Tuberkulosis Rawat Jalan di Balai Besar Kesehatan Paru Masyarakat Surakarta [Evaluation of the Compliance of Drug Use in Tuberculosis Outpatients at the Surakarta Lung Health Center]. Master Thesis, Muhammadiyah Surakarta University, Indonesia. 2012. [ID]
3. Indonesia Health Ministry. Pedoman Nasional Pengobatan Tuberkulosis [National Guidelines for Tuberculosis Treatment]. Kementerian Kesehatan Republik Indonesia Direktorat Jendral Pengendalian penyakit dan Penyhatan Lingkungan. (online). Available from: URL: http://www.dokternida.rekansejawat.com/dokumen/DEPKES-Pedoman-Nasional-Penanggulangan-TBC-2011-Dokternida.com.pdf. [Accessed on March 10, 2017].
4. Adebimpe WO et al. Effects of treatment on free radicals in patients with pulmonary tuberculosis in South Western Nigeria. African Health Science. 2015; 15: 1256-61.
5. Suksamsaran S et al. Antimycobacterial activity of Prenylated Xanthones from the fruit of Garcinia mangostana Linn. Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 2003; 51: 857–859.
6. Reddy YN et al. Role of free radical and antioxidant in tuberculosis patient. Indian Journal of Tuberculosis. 2004; 51: 213-218.
7. Warren RG. Small Animal Anaesthesia. Mosby Co., USA. 1983.
8. Walter H. Hsu. Effect of Yohimbine and Xylazine-Induced Central Nervous Sistem Depression in Dogs. JAVMA. 1985; 182(7): 698- 699.
9. Muntiha M. Temu Teknis Fungsional Peneliti [Technical meeting for functional researcher]. Balai Penelitian Veternier, Bogor. 2001.[ID]
10. Widyaningsih I et al. Kandungan Xanton dalam ekstrak kulit manggis dengan pelarut etanol absolut [The content of Xanthon in mangosteen peel extract with absolute ethanol as solvent]. Jurnal Ilmiah Pendidikan Eksakta, 2017; 3(2): 225-234. [ID]
11. Rawat R et al. The isoniazid-NAD adduct is a slow, tight-binding inhibitor of InhA, the Mycobacterium tuberculosis enoyl reductase: adduct affinity and drug resistance. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2003; 100: 13881-6.
12. Zayni MMH and Abbas MT. Effect of morin on isoniazid and rifampicin induced hepatotoxicityin rats. Kerbala Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2018; 4: 32-39.
13. Fitri LE et al. High dose of N-acetylcysteine increase H₂O₂ and MDA levels and decrease GSH level of HUVECs exposed with malaria serum. Tropical Biomedicine. 2011; 28: 7-15.
14. Yang C et al. Advances in isolation and synthesis of xantone derivatives. Chinese Herbal Medicines. 2012; 4: 87-102. doi: https://doi.org/10.3969/j.issn.1674-6384.2012.02.003.
15. Pedraza-Chaverri J et al. Medicinal properties of mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana). Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2008; 46: 3227-3239.
16. Mustika A. Mekanisme ekstrak etanolik Centella asiatica (pegagan) dalam meningkatkan apoptosis sel alveolar makrofag dari jaringan paru tikus yang diinfeksi M. tuberculosis H37Rv [The mechanism of Centella asiatica (Centella asiatica) ethanolic extract in increasing apoptosis of macrophage alveolar cell from rat lung tissue infected with M. tuberculosis H37Rv]. Master Thesis, Airlangga University, Indonesia. 2012. [ID]