Digvijay Jena, Akila Devi D, Mohamed Amanalla Omer Babikir
Digvijay Jena, Akila Devi D*, Mohamed Amanalla Omer Babikir
Dept of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Vels Institution of Science, Technology and Advanced Studies, Pallavaram, Chennai - 600117, Tamilnadu, India.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2021
Oral administration is the most preferable route for drug administration. Now a day's more chemical substance exhibit low aqueous solubility resulting in poor bioavailability so unsatisfactory through oral route. SEDDS plays a major role to overcome the problem of the delivery of lipid drugs through this route. oil, surfactant, co-surfactant (Smix) are the backbone of SEDDS formulation. It can be categorized into SNEDDS and SMEDDS. High energy emulsification and low energy emulsification are two methods for formulation. Evaluation of SEDDS done by droplet size, morphology, zeta potential, dissolution studies. SEDDS is and advanced successful approach for delivery of low aqueous soluble drugs of anti-cancer, anti-viral, anti-bacterial as well as natural products. We must work more on SEDDS more products should be marketed for the benefit of mankind.
Cite this article:
Digvijay Jena, Akila Devi D, Mohamed Amanalla Omer Babikir. A Review on Game-changing approach for the Oral Administration of Lipophilic Drug: SEDDS. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(2):1142-1148. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00205.5
Digvijay Jena, Akila Devi D, Mohamed Amanalla Omer Babikir. A Review on Game-changing approach for the Oral Administration of Lipophilic Drug: SEDDS. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(2):1142-1148. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00205.5 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-2-101
1. Mahmooda A, Bernkop-Schnurcham. Sedds: A Game Changing Approach for The Oral Administration of Hydrophilic Macromolecular Drugs. Adv Drug Del Rev. 2018. 29–37
2. Kalepun S, Manthina M, Padavala V. Oral Lipid-Based Drug Delivery Systems: An Overview. Acta Pharm Sin B. 2013; 3:361–72.
3. Gursoy Rn, Benita S. Self-Emulsifying Drug Delivery Systems (Sedds) For Improved Oral Delivery of Lipophilic Drugs. Biomedpharmacother. 2004; 58:173–82.
4. Mahapatra Ak, Murthy Pn. Self-Emulsifying Drug Delivery systems (Sedds): An Update from Formulation Development To Therapeutic Strategies. Int J Pharm Tech Res. 2014; 6:545–68
5. Karan M, Rajashree Cm, Arti Rt. Challenges In Oral Delivery: Role of P-Gp Efflux Pump. Curr Drug Ther. 2014; 9:47–55.
6. Pouton Cw. Formulation of Self-Emulsifying Drug Delivery systems. Adv Drug Del Rev. 1997; 25:47–58
7. Kohli K, Chopra S, Dhar D, Aroras. Self-Emulsifying Drug Delivery Systems: An Approach to Enhance Oral Bioavailability. Drug Discovery Today.2010; 15:56-67
8. Shilpirawat1, Derle Dv, Parve Bs And Shinde Pr. Self Emulsifying Drug Delivery System (Sedds): A Methodfor Bioavailability Enhancement, Ijpcbs 2014, 4(3), 479-494
9. Karim A. Hiv Protease Inhibitor Sc-52151: A Novel Method of Optimizing Bioavailability Profile Via Amicroemulsion Drug Delivery System, Pharm. Res. 1994; 11: S368
10. Patel Sn, Patel Dn, Patel Td, Prajapati Th, Parikh Bn. Self-Emulsifying Drug Delivery System. J Glob PharmTech.2010; 2:29–37.
11. Kalepun S, Manthina M, Padavala V. Oral Lipid-Based Drug Delivery Systems: An Overview. Acta Pharm Sin B. 2013; 3:361–72.
12. Gursoy Rn, Benita S. Self-Emulsifying Drug Delivery Systems (Sedds) For Improved Oral Delivery of Lipophilic Drugs. Biomedpharmacother. 2004; 58:173–82.
13. Karan M, Rajashree Cm, Arti Rt. Challenges In Oral Delivery:Role of P-Gp Efflux Pump. Curr Drug Ther. 2014; 9:47–55.
14. Pouton Cw. Formulation of Self-Emulsifying Drug Delivery systems. Adv Drug Del Rev. 1997;25: 47–58
15. Patel Sn, Patel Dn, Patel Td, Prajapati Th, Parikh Bn. Self-Emulsifying Drug Delivery System. J Glob Pharm Tech.2010; 2:29–37.
16. Xu X, Cao M, Ren L, Qian Y, Chen G. Preparation and Optimization of Rivaroxaban By Self-Nanoemulsifying Drug Delivery System (Snedds) For Enhanced Oral Bioavailability And No Food Effect. Aaps Pharmscitech. 2018; 19:1847–59.
17. Charman Sa, CharmanWn, Rogge Mc, Wilson Td, Dutko Fj, Pouton Cw. Self-Emulsifying Drug Delivery Systems: Formulation and Biopharmaceutic Evaluation of An Investigational Lipophilic Compound. Pharm Res. 1992; 9:87–93.
18. Pouton Cw. Lipid Formulations for Oral Administration of Drugs: Non-Emulsifying, Self-Emulsifying and ‘Self-Microemulsifying’ drug Delivery Systems. Eur J Pharm Sci. 2000;2: S93–8
19. Karunakarareddy T, Yajamansudhakar, N. Devanna.Design and Evaluation of Self-Emulsifying Drug Delivery Systems of Atazanavir Bi Sulfate.Int. J. Pharm. Sci. Rev. Res., 31(2), March – April 2015; Article No. 48, Pages: 273-280
20. T. Hiranmai, G. Nagarajuand V. Sirisha, Solubility Enhancement of Poorly Soluble Saquinavir By Using Self-Emulsifying Drug Delivery System. Sjif Impact Factor 6.647volume 6, Issue 12, 502-514.
21. Vasantisuvarna, Utkarshapagdhare, Anilakadu, Manishaoza, Development and Characterization of Solid Self-Emulsifying Drug Delivery Systemcontaining Nateglinide. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics. Jan-Mar 2017, 11 (1), 27-36
22. Hussein O. Ammar, Gina S. El-Feky, Ahmed M. Abdelhaleem Ali and Rami A. Galil Dawood, Enhancement Of Oral Bioavailability Of Repaglinide By Self Nanoemulsifying Drug Delivery System.Int J Pharm Pharmsci, Vol 6, Issue 9, 603-606
23. Shailesh T. Prajapati, HarshA.Joshi, and Chhaganbhai N. Patel. Preparation and Characterization of Self-Microemulsifying Drug Delivery System of Olmesartanmedoxomil for Bioavailability Improvement. Journal of Pharmaceutics, Volume 2013, 201-213
24. Vishal Yadav, Prakash Jadhav, Kishor Kanase, Anjali Bodhe. Preparation and Evaluation of Microemulsion Containing Antihypertensive Drug. Int J App Pharm, Vol 10, Issue 5, 2018, 138-146.
25. Jill B. Shukla,Girish K Jani, Abdel Wahab Omri.Formulation And Evaluation Of Oral Self Microemulsifying Drug Delivery System of Candesartan Cilexetil. International Journal Of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences,Vol 8, Issue 5, 2016, 238-243
26. Christina Leichner and Randi Angela Baus and Max Jelkmann and Melanie Plautz and Jan Barthelmes.In Vitro Evaluation of A Self-Emulsifying Drug Delivery System (Sedds) For Nasal Administration Of Dimenhydrinate,2019; 212:233-46.
27. Qiuxuan Yang, Qilong Wang, Yingshufeng, Qiuyu Wei, Congyong Sun, Caleb Kessefirempong: Anti-Hyperuricemic Property of 6-Shogaol Via Self-Microemulsifying Drug Delivery System In Model Rats: Formulation Design, Invitro And Invivo Evaluation, Drug Development And Industrial Pharmacy, 2019, 56-80
28. Dizdarević A, Efiana Na, Phan Tnq, Matuszczak B, Bernkop-Schnürcha. Imine Bond Formation: A Novel Concept To Incorporate Peptide Drugs In Self-Emulsifying Drug Delivery Systems (Sedds). Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2019 Sep; 142:92-100
29. Momin Khan, Muhammad Ali, Walayatshah, AkramShah, Muhammad Masoomyasinzai. Curcumin-Loaded Self-Emulsifying Drug Delivery System (Cu-Sedds): A Promising Approach for the Control of Primary Pathogen and Secondary Bacterial Infections in Cutaneous Leishmaniasis. Biotechnological Products and Process Engineering, Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology: 2019; 212-223.
30. Karasulu Hy, Gundogdu E, Turk Uo, Turgay T, Apaydins. Enhancing Solubility and Bioavailability of Rosuvastatin into Self Nanoemulsifying Drug Delivery System.Curr Drug Deliv. 2018;15(7):1072-1082
31. Onyirioha N. N, Barminas J, Osemeahon S. Formulation and Characterization of Self Emulsifying Drug Delivery System of Simvastatin Using Maringa Oleifera And Banished Oil Extract for Potential Pharmaceutical Application, (Iosr-Jac). 2018; 11(5); 36-42.
32. Constantinides Pp. Lipid Microemulsions for Improving Drug Dissolution and Oral Absorption: Physical and Biopharmaceutical Aspects. Pharm Res. 1995; 12:1561–72.
33. Kauss T, Gaubert A, Tabaran L, Tonelli G, Phoeung T, Langlois Mh, Et Al. Development of Rectal Self-Emulsifying Suspension of A Moisture-Labile Water-Soluble Drug. int J Pharm. 2018; 536:283–91.