Nurdiana, Tri Wahyudi Iman Dantara, Mokhamad Fahmi Rizki Syaban, Siti Asyifa Mustafa, Hanifah Ikhsani, Febrinda Esti Syafitri, Novi Kurnia Hapsari, Auliya Khoirunnisa
Nurdiana1, Tri Wahyudi Iman Dantara2, Mokhamad Fahmi Rizki Syaban3, Siti Asyifa Mustafa3, Hanifah Ikhsani3, Febrinda Esti Syafitri3, Novi Kurnia Hapsari3, Auliya Khoirunnisa3
1Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Universitas Brawijaya, Malang, Indonesia
2Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Universitas Brawijaya, Malang, Indonesia
3Faculty of Medicine, Universitas Brawijaya, Malang, Indonesia
Volume - 14,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2021
SLE is an autoimmune disease that has very complex pathogenesis. SLE patients have more sensitive B cells and reduced regulator T cell activity. The increase in activityof B which has play a role in the absorption and presentation of autoantigens to T cells. B cells and T cells will also affect the production of cytokines such as TNF a and TGF-ß. We used forty female BALB/c mice, aged 6 until 8 weeks old received a single intraperitoneal injection of 0.5 cc pristane for lupus induction. At 16 weeks after injection, pristane-induced lupus mice were divided into four groups based on the doses received by intragastrically: 10.5mg/kg/day, 21 mg/kg/day, and 42mg/kg/day for 12 weeks. At 38 weeks after injection, all of mice were assessed for inflammation marker. Study results showed that percentages of maturation of B cells, TNF-a, were decreased (p<0.05) and percentages of TGF-ß were increased (p>0.05) in Bryophyllum pinnatum leaves ethanol extract-treated mice. Ethanol extract of Bryophyllum pinnatum can inhibit the maturation of B cells so that it can decrease the auto antigen presentation rate in T cells. Bryophyllum pinnatum can also reduce TNF a levels that have been pro-inflammatory agents, whereas Bryophyllum pinnatum can increase TGF-ß levels which have the role of anti-inflammatory agent.
Cite this article:
Nurdiana, Tri Wahyudi Iman Dantara, Mokhamad Fahmi Rizki Syaban, Siti Asyifa Mustafa, Hanifah Ikhsani, Febrinda Esti Syafitri, Novi Kurnia Hapsari, Auliya Khoirunnisa. Effect of Bryophyllum pinnatum Leaves Ethanol Extract in TNF-α and TGF-β as Candidate Therapy of SLE in Pristane-Induced SLE BALB/c Mice Model. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(2):1069-1072. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00192.X
Nurdiana, Tri Wahyudi Iman Dantara, Mokhamad Fahmi Rizki Syaban, Siti Asyifa Mustafa, Hanifah Ikhsani, Febrinda Esti Syafitri, Novi Kurnia Hapsari, Auliya Khoirunnisa. Effect of Bryophyllum pinnatum Leaves Ethanol Extract in TNF-α and TGF-β as Candidate Therapy of SLE in Pristane-Induced SLE BALB/c Mice Model. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2021; 14(2):1069-1072. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2021.00192.X Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-2-88
1. Jianxin L, Bonnie KC, Cheukchun S. Update on the role of T cell subset in the pathogenesis of systemic lupus erythematosus. Journal of Chinese Clinical Medicine. 2009; 4: 400-409.
2. Ahmadpoor P, Dalili N, Rostami M. An update on pathogenesis of systemic lupus erythematosus. Iranian Journal of Kidney Diseases. 2014; 8(3): 171.
3. Furie RA, Leon G, Thomas M, et al. A phase 2, randomised, placebo-controlled clinical trial of blisibimod, an inhibitor of B cell activating factor, in patients with moderate-tosevere systemic lupus erythematosus, the PEARL-SC study. Ann Rheum Dis. 2013; 74: 1667-1675.
4. Abbas AK, Lichtman AH, Pillai S. Basic Immunology: Functions and Dysorders of the Immune System, 5th Ed. Canda: Elsevier; 2016.
5. Manolova I., Gerenova J, Ivanova M. Serum levels of transforming growth factor-β1 (TGF-β1) in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus and Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. European Cytokine Network. 2013; 24(1): 69-74.
6. Ansori ANM, Susilo RJK, Hayaza S, et al. Renoprotection by Garcinia mangostana L. pericarp extract in streptozotocin-induced diabetic mice. Iraqi J Vet Sci. 2019; 33(1): 13-19.
7. Cruz EA, Reuter S, Martin H, et al. Kalanchoe pinnata inhibits mast cell activation and prevents allergic airway disease. Phytomedicine. 2012; 19: 115-121.
8. Leiss H, Niederreiter B, Bandur T, et al. Pristane-induced lupus as a model of human lupus arthritis: evolvement of autoantibodies, internal organ and joint inflammation. Lupus. 2013; 22(8): 778-792.
9. Metawie SA, El Refai RM, El Adle SS, et al. Transforming growth factor-β1 in systemic lupus erythematosus patients and its relation to organ damage and disease activity. The Egyptian Rheumatologist. 2015; 37(4): 49-54.
10. Indriyanti N, Soeroso J, Khotib J. The benefits of active compounds in Kalanchoe Pinnata (LMK) pers ethyl acetate fraction on lupus arthritis mice. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2017.
11. Nurdiana N, Sari Y, Wahyuni R, et al. Immunomodulation effects of Bryophyllum pinnatum on pregnant pristane-induced lupus mice model. Research Journal of Life Science. 2017; 3(3): 190-200.
12. Davidson A. What is damaging the kidney in lupus nephritis? Nature Reviews Rheumatology. 2015; 12(3): 143-53.
13. Potter M, Sklar MD, Rowe WP. Rapid viral induction of plasmacytomas in pristane-primed BALB/c mice. Science. 1973; 182(4112): 592-594.
14. Duarte-García A, Barr E, Magder LS, et al. Predictors of incident proteinuria among patients with SLE. Lupus Sci Med. 2017; 4(1): e000200.
15. Indriyanti N, Garmana AN, Setiawan F. Repairing effects of aqueous extract of Kalanchoe pinnata (Lmk) Pers. on lupus nephritis mice. Pharmacognosy J. 2018; 10(3): 548-552.
16. Rajsekhar SPV. The “wonder plant” Kalanchoe pinnata (Linn.) Pers.: A review. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science. 2016; 6(03): 151-158.