This study will be investigating acidic corrosion of AA7051 alloy at a different temperature, and introduces milk thistle aqueous extract as a new and widely available green corrosion inhibitor. The electrochemical methods were used to measure weight loss, penetration loss, corrosion inhibition efficiency and other parameters. The data substituted in Langmuir adsorption isotherm as well as in kinetic equations. The finding exhibit high corrosion inhibition efficiency at 0.5g/L of milk thistle extract and the efficiency rose from around 72% at 293K to just over 86% at 333K. Langmuir model linear regression coefficient ( =0.98) and the slight change in corrosion potential refer to mixed-type inhibitor attach to the surface by chemisorption. FTIR spectra for crude extract supported by literatures shows the molecular structure of the main component of milk thistle extract and exhibit the O-H group as a major group participate in adsorption.
Cite this article:
Khudhair Abbas Kareem Al-Rudaini, Khulood Abid Saleh Al-Saadie. Study the Corrosion behavior of AA7051 Aluminum alloy at different temperatures and inhibitor concentration in Acidic medium. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(9):4977-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00866
Khudhair Abbas Kareem Al-Rudaini, Khulood Abid Saleh Al-Saadie. Study the Corrosion behavior of AA7051 Aluminum alloy at different temperatures and inhibitor concentration in Acidic medium. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(9):4977-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00866 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2021-14-9-80
1. Patil D B, Sharma A R. Corrosion Kinetics of Aluminium in Alkaline Medium. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2011; 4(6): 963–964.
2. Chauhan A. An Overview of Friction Stir Welding Process and Parameters of Aluminium Alloys. Research Journal of Engineering and Technology. 2017; 8(4): 306-310.
3. Rajalakshmi K, Jayendran T. Inhibition of Corrosion of Aluminium in 1N Sodium Hydroxide by Salicylic Acid in Conjunction with Calcium Acetate. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2010; 3(2): 351–354.
4. Branzoi V, Golgovici F, Branzoi F. Aluminium corrosion in hydrochloric acid solutions and the effect of some organic inhibitors. Materials Chemistry and Physics. 2003; 78(1): 122–131.
5. Soares BM, Dantas ST, Anjos CA. Corrosion of aluminum for beverage packaging in acidic media containing chlorides and copper ions. Journal of Food Process Engineering. 2017; 40(6): 1–8.
6. Al Zubaidy E, Mohammad FS, Bassioni G. Effect of pH, salinity and temperature on aluminum cookware leaching during food preparation. International Journal of Electrochemical Science. 2011; 6(12): 6424–6441.
7. Kadhem WM, Enaya H. Effect of lead and aluminium in the levels of dopamine and acetylcholine in the brain male rats. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2018; 11(5): 2055–2057.
8. Saratha R, Anandhi D, Meenakshi H and Saritha T. Standardization of Plant Extract as Corrosion Inhibitor for Mild Steel in Acid Media. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2011; 4(7): 1087–1091.
9. Saratha R, Thilagavathy P, Kasthuri N. Evaluation of Vitis vinifera as a corrosion inhibitor for mild steel in 1 M HCl. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2010; 3(1): 132–138.
10. Udensi SC, Ekpe OE, Nnanna LA. Newbouldia laevis Leaves Extract as Tenable Eco-Friendly Corrosion Inhibitor for Aluminum Alloy AA7075-T7351 in 1 M HCl Corrosive Environment: Gravimetric, Electrochemical and Thermodynamic Studies: A review. Available from: URL:. http://www. Chemistry Africa/2020.doi:10.1007/s42250-020-00131-w.
11. El-Katori EE, Al-Mhyawi S. Assessment of the Bassia muricata extract as a green corrosion inhibitor for aluminum in acidic solution. Green Chemistry Letters and Reviews. 2019; 12(1): 31–48.
12. Olawale O et al. Optimisation and modelling of aluminium corrosion inhibition using almond (Prunus amydgdalus) fruit leaves extract as green inhibitor in HCl acidic medium. International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology. 2018; 9(13): 1274–1285.
13. Ating EI et al. Leaves extract of ananas sativum as green corrosion inhibitor for aluminium in hydrochloric acid solutions. Green Chemistry Letters and Reviews. 2010; 3(2): 61–68.
14. Binyehmed FM, Abdullah AM, Zainal Z, Zawawi R. Green Coffee Bean Extract as a Green Corrosion Inhibitor for Aluminium in Artificial Acid Rain Medium. International Journal of Applied Environmental Sciences. 2018; 13(2): 171–183.
15. Nathiya RS, Perumal S, Murugesan V. Evaluation of extracts of Borassus flabellifer dust as green inhibitors for aluminium corrosion in acidic media. Materials Science in Semiconductor Processing. 2019; 104(4): 1–9.
16. Eddy NO, Ameh P, Ibrahim A. Physicochemical characterization and corrosion inhibition potential of Ficus benjamina (FB) gum for aluminum in 0.1 M HCl. Walailak Journal of Science and Technology. 2015; 12(12): 1121–1136.
17. Tůmová L, Řimáková J, Tůma J. Silybum marianum in vitro-flavonolignan production. Plant, Soil and Environment. 2006; 52(10): 454–458.
18. Kareem KA. Equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamics studies of lead Adsorption from Aqueous Solution onto Activated carbon prepared from Silybum mairanum. International Journal of Chem Tech Research. 2017; 10(2): 760–766.
19. Kroll DJ, Shaw S, Oberlies N. Milk Thistle Nomenclature: Why It Matters in Cancer Research and Pharmacokinetic Studies. Integrative Cancer Therapies. 2007; 6(2): 110–119.
20. Ryl J et al. Understanding the origin of high corrosion inhibition efficiency of bee products towards aluminium alloys in alkaline environments. Electrochim Acta. 2019; 304(1): 263–274.
21. Kumar A, Sankar A, Kumar SR, Vijayan M. Vitamin B-2 SolutionAs Corrosion Inhibitor for Mild Steel in Acid Medium. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2013; 8(5): 64–67.
22. Al-Rudaini KA. Adsorption Removal of Rhodamine-B Dye from Aqueous Solution Using Rhamnus Stone as Low Cost Adsorbent. Journal of Al-Nahrain University. 2017; 20(1): 32–41.
23. Subha R, Saratha R. Corrosion Inhibition and Adsorption Properties of African marigold for the Corrosion of Mild Steel in Hydrochloric acid. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2012; 5(3): 390–396.
24. Hlangothia D, Abdel-Rahman F, Nguyen T, Anthony K and Saleh MA. Distribution of Silymarin in the Fruit of Silybum marianum L. Pharmaceutica Analytica Acta. 2016; 7(11): 1-5.
25. Scully JR. Polarization resistance method for determination of instantaneous corrosion rates. Corrosion. 2000; 56(2): 199–217.
26. Banu MS, Raj V, Ali M. Corrosion Inhibition of Aluminium by Molybdate Conversion Coating. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2011; 4(10): 1520–1525.
27. Abbas HA et al. Study the effect of Cyperus rotundus extracted as mouthwash on the corrosion of dental amalgam. In: IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering. 2019; 571: 1–11.
28. Kareem KA. Equilibrium and kinetic studies of Gentian Violent Dye Adsorption onto Activated carbon prepared from Aldhanan Hull. Al-Mustansiriyah Journal of Science. 2017; 28(1): 89–96.
29. Al-Mashhdani HA, Al-Saadie KA, Abas HA, Abdulkareem D. Cactus as a green inhibitor for the corrosion of carbon steel in seawater. Physical Chemistry an Indian Journal . 2015; 10(4): 111–120.
30. Kareem KA. Removal and Recovery of Methylene Blue Dye from Aqueous Solution using Avena Fatua Seed Husk. ibn Al-Haitham Journal of Pure Applied Science. 2016; 29(3): 179–194.
31. Soltani N, Tavakkoli N, Kashani MK, Mosavizadeh A, Jalali M. Silybum marianum extract as a natural source inhibitor for 304 stainless steel corrosion in 1.0M HCl. Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry. 2014; 20(5): 3217–3227.
32. Al-Mashhadani HA, Saleh KA. Electro-polymerization of poly eugenol on ti and ti alloy dental implant treatment by micro arc oxidation using as anti-corrosion and anti-microbial. Research Journal of Pharmacy Technology. 2020; 13(10): 4687-4696.
33. Almashhadani HA, Saleh KA. Corrosion protection of pure titanium implant by electrochemical deposition of hydroxyapatite post-anodizing. In: IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering. 2019; 571: 1–9.