Srinivasa Rao Narala, K. Saraswathi
Srinivasa Rao Narala1*, K. Saraswathi2
1Department of Chemistry, R.V.R. & J.C. College of Engineering, Guntur, A.P., India.
2Department of Chemistry, S.V. University, Tirupathi, A.P., India.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2022
A simple, rapid and sensitive reverse phase high performance liquid chromatographic method has been developed for the determination of Mesalamine in bulk drug and pharmaceutical dosage forms. It was carried out using a mobile phase of methanol and 0.025 M potassium dihydrogen phosphate buffer (65:35 v/v) on a kromosil C18 column (250 X 4.6 mm, 5µm) in an isocratic mode at a flow rate of 1.0 ml/min. with detection at 250 nm using a UV detector. The linearity was obtained in the concentration range of 20 –100 µg/ml. The developed method was found to be accurate for the determination of Mesalamine in tablet dosage forms.
Cite this article:
Srinivasa Rao Narala, K. Saraswathi. High Performance Liquid Chromatographic Method for the Determination of Mesalamine in Bulk Drug and Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(1):301-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00049
Srinivasa Rao Narala, K. Saraswathi. High Performance Liquid Chromatographic Method for the Determination of Mesalamine in Bulk Drug and Pharmaceutical Dosage Forms. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(1):301-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00049 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-1-49
1. Prasanna Reddy Battu and Reddy M.S., RP-HPLC Method for Simultaneous Estimation of Paracetamol and Ibuprofen in Tablets, Asian J. Research Chem., Jan.-March, 2009, 2(1), 70-72.
2. Teli M.S., Sawant S.S., Kumbhoje S.R., Ravetkar A.S. and Kondawar M.S., Estimation of Mefenamic Acid in Its Bulk and Tablet Formulation by RP-HPLC Method, Asian J. Research Chem., July- Sept. 2010, 3(3), 691-694.
3. Santanu Ghosh and Barik b.B., Quantization of Aceclofenac in Pharmaceutical Formulations by RP-HPLC, Research J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech., 2010, 2(1), 52-55.
4. Praveen Kumar, Meenu Chaudhary, Bhattacharya S. and Vijay Juyal, Validated Analytical Method Development of Celecoxib in Bulk, Tablet and Rat Plasma by UV-Spectroscopy, Research J. Pharm. and Tech., July-Sept. 2010, 3(3), 894-896.
5. Thenmozhi A., Sridharan D., Veeramani S. and Palanivelu M., An RP-HPLC Method for the estimation of Dexibuprofen in Pharmaceutical Tablet Dosage Form, Asian J. Pharm. Ana., 2011, 1(4), 98-99.
6. Rele R.V., Parab J.M., Mhatre V.V. and Warkar C.B., Simultaneous RP-HPLC Determination of Diclofenac Potassium and Famotidine in Pharmaceutical Preparations, Research J. Pharm. and Tech., April 2011, 4(4), 638-641.
7. Jumle R. S., Mundhey A.S., Wate S.P., Dangare S.S., Ramteke U.D., UV- Spectrophotometric Method Development and Validation for Estimation of Tizanidine and Aceclofenac in Tablet Formulation, Asian J. Pharm. Ana., 2012, 2(4), 101-103.
8. Lalit Jejurkar, Tapar K.K., Game M.D., Tushar Birari and Gokul Ghenge, Development and Validation of Spectrophotometric Method for Mesalamine in Pure and In Tablets, Research J. Pharm. and Tech., April 2011, 4(4), 589-591.
9. Venugopal Darak, Arvind B. Karadi, Arshad Md. and Appal Raju S., Simple Extractive Spectrophotometric Determination of Mesalamine by Acid-Dye Complexation Methods in Solid Dosage Form, Research J. Pharm. and Tech., June 2011, 4(6), 962-964.
10. Cendrowska I., Drewnoska A., Grzeszkiewicz A. and Butkiewicz K. Investigation of the stability of 5 – amino salicylic acid in tablets and suppositories by high performance liquid chromatography. J. Chromatogr, Amesterdam, 1990, 509, 195-199.
11. Palumbo G., Carlucci G., and Maxzeo P. et al simultaneous determination of 5 –aminosalicylic acid, acetyl – 5-amino salicylic acid and 2,5 – dihydroxy benzoic acid in endoscipic intestinal biopsy samples in humane by high performance liquid chromatography with electro chemical detection. J. Pharm – Biomed. Anal., Oxford, 1995, 14, 175-180.
12. Haney P.W. and Dash A.K. simple liquid chromatographic method for the analysis of 5 aminosalicylic acid and its degradation products. J. Chromatogr. A, Amsterdam, 1997, 765, 233-235.
13. Bystrowska B., Nowak J. and Brandys J., J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal., 2000, 22(2), 341-347.
14. Gotti R., Pomponio R.., Bertucci C. and Cavrini V. Determination of 5-amino salicylic acid related impurities by micellar electrokinetic chromatography with ion pair reagent. J. Chromatogr. A, Amesterdam, 2001, 916, 175-183.
15. Aumais G., Lefebvre M., Massicotte J., Tremblay C., Kasbo J., Brunet J. and Cardinal C., Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 2004, 75, 38.
16. Giancerlo P., Simona B., Luisa P., Paola P. and Giuseppe C., J. Biomedical chromatography, 2005, 19(5), 350-354.
17. Nobilis M., Vybrralova Z., Saldkova K., Wisa M., Holcapek M. and Kvetina J. High-performance liquid chromatographic determination of 5-aminosalicylic acid and its metabolites in blood plasma. J. chromatogr A, 2006, 1119, 299 – 308.
18. Novak P., Tepes P., Fistric I., Bratos I. and Gabelica V., J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal., 2006, 40(5), 1268-1272.
19. Pastorine E., Locatelli M., Simoni P., Roda G., Roda E. and Roda A. Development and validation of a HPLC – ESI – MS / MS method for determination of 5 – amino salicylic acid and its major metabolic N – Acetyl – 5 aminosalicylic acid in human plasma J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2008, 872, 1-2, 99-106.
20. Sunil M., Srinivasa Rao K., Rao M.E.B., HPLC and UV spectroscopic determination of Mesalamine in pharmaceutical formulations, Analytical chemistry, 2008, 7(7), 21-25.
21. Alok kumar etal, Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for Mesalamine, Asian J Pharma Clin Res, 2011, 4(2), 71-73.
22. Darak etal, Development and validation of HPLC method for determination of Mesalamine in tablet dosage form, Pharma Science Monitor, 2012, 3(1), 74-81.
23. Nalinikanta Sahoo etal, Validation of stability indicating RP-HPLC method for estimation of Mesalamine in bulk and tablet dosage form, Pharmaceutical Methods, 2013, 4(2), 56-61.
24. Siva Reddy K. etal, Development and validation of HPLC assay method for determination of Mesalamine in bulk and tablet formulation, IJSER, 2014, 2(6), 52-56.
25. Naveen babu etal, Development and validation of RP-HPLC assay method for estimation of Mesalamine in pharmaceutical dosage form, IJPBS, 2017, 7(1), 121-127.
26. Drisya N. K. etal, Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of Mesalamine and Prednisol in bulk and formulation, Asian J Pharma Anal and Medi Che, 2019, 7(3), 108-115.
27. Yadav A.V., Yadav V.B., Improvement of Physicochemical properties of Mesalamine with Hydrophilic Carriers by Solid Dispersion (kneading) method, Research J. Pharm. and Tech., Oct.-Dec. 2008, 1(4), 422-425.
28. Sudarshan S., Sangeeta S., Sheth N.R.., Roshan P., Ushir Y.V. and Gendle R., Colon Specific Drug Delivery System of Mesalamine for Eradication of Ulcerative Colitis, Research J. Pharm. and Tech., Oct.-Dec. 2009, 2(4), 819-823.
29. Pramod Salve, Optimization of aqueous based film coating technique for pellets in colon specific delivery of mesalamine, Research J. Science and Tech., 2011, 3(5), 238-246.