Low bioavailability is one of the major concerns associated with drugs which show poor aqueous solubility. The problem is even more complex for drugs belonging to BCS class II as classified by BCS classification system, showing poor solubility in both aqueous and nonaqueous media such as drugs like carbamazepine, itraconazole etc. Nanosuspension, a novel technology has shown its potential to be a promising alternative to solve these problems concerning solubility. A nanosuspension is a formulation of the poorly water-soluble drug without any matrix material suspended in dispersion. It is a simple technique and applicable to all drugs which are water insoluble. Apart from improving solubility and bioavailability, nanosuspension also alters the pharmacokinetics of drug and of the nanosuspension.
Cite this article:
Runa Chakravorty. Nanosuspension as an emerging Nanotechnology and Techniques for its Development. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(1):489-3. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00079
Runa Chakravorty. Nanosuspension as an emerging Nanotechnology and Techniques for its Development. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(1):489-3. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00079 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-1-79
1. Bhairav B.A., Bachhav J.K., Saudagar R.B. Review on Solubility Enhancement Techniques. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2016; 6(3)
2. Khandbahale S.V. A review- Nanosuspension technology in drug delivery system. Asian Journal of. Pharmaceutical Research, 2019; 9(2): 130-138.
3. Patel M, Shah A, Dr.Patel N.M., Dr.Patel K.R. Nanosuspension journal of pharmaceutical science and bioscientific research.2011; Vol 1, Issue 1 (1-10)
4. Maria A, Cerdeira M. Production and Stabilization of Nanosuspensions of Poorly Soluble Drug Substances. 2012.Link: https://doi.org/10.3929/ethz-a-007613986
5. Sahu B.P., Das M.K. Nanosuspension for enhancement of oral bioavailability of felodipine. Applied Nanoscience 2014; 4:189–197.
6. Chingupituk J. Nanosuspension Technology for Drug Delivery. Walailak Journal of Science & Technology. 2007; 4(2): 139-153.
7. Koteswara K.B, Reddy M.S., Naha A, Madhaban N. Nanosuspension: A novel drug delivery approach. International Journal of Research in Ayurveda and Pharmacy. 2011; 2:162-165.
8. Pravakar CH. A review on nanosuspensions in drug delivery. International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences. 2011; 2(1).
9. Patel V.R. Agarwal Y.K. Nanosuspension: An approach to enhance solubility of drugs. Journal of advanced pharmaceutical technology. 2011; 2(2):81-87.
10. Kulkarni R.R., Phadtare D.G., Saudagar R.B. A Novel Approach Towards Nanosuspension. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical. Research. 2015; 5(4): 186-194.
11. Muller R.H. Bohm BHL, Grau J. Nanosuspension: A Formulation Approach for poorly soluble and poorly bioavailable drugs. Handbook of Pharmaceutical Controlled Release Technology. 2000: 345-357.
12. Paun J.S. and Tank H.M., Nanosuspension: An Emerging Trend for Bioavailability Enhancement of Poorly Soluble Drugs. Asian Journal of pharmacy and Technology 2012; 2(4): 157-168
13. Aher S.S., Malsane S.T., Saudagar R.B. Nanosuspension: An Overview. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2017; 7(2).
14. Phatak A, Jorwekar P. and Chaudhari P.D. Nanosuspensions: A Promising Nanocarrier Drug Delivery System. Research journal of pharmaceutical dosage form and technology.2020;12 (3).
15. Eerdenbrugh BV, Mooter GV, Augustijns P, Top-down production of drug nanocrystals: Nanosuspension stabilization, miniaturization and transformation into solid product, International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2008; 364(1):64-75
16. Rabinow BE, Thassu D, Deleers M, Pathak Y. Nanoparticuate drug delivery System: (Ed) informa Healthcare, New York, London. 2007.
17. Birajdar G.O., Kadam V.S., ChintaleA.G., Halle P.D.etal. A Comprehensive Review on Nanotechnology. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology.2013;6(5).
18. Kalimuthu S, Yadav A.V. Nano-based Drug Delivery System: A Review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology.2009; 2(1): 21-27.
19. Jacob S, Nair A.B. & Shah J. Emerging role of nanosuspensions in drug delivery systems. Biomaterial Research.2020; 24, 3
20. Pawar P, Adhikrao Y, Varsha G. Different Techniques for Preparation of Nanosuspension with Reference to its Characterisation and various Applications - A Review.2018; 8 (4).
21. Elhissi A, Phoenix D, Ahmed W. Emerging Nanotechnologies for Manufacturing (Second Edition, William Andrew Publishing.2015; 402-417.