Anbu S, Boomiga S, Suresh A, Padma J
Anbu S1, Boomiga S2, Suresh A1, Padma J3*
1Department of Biochemistry, Shanmuga Industries Arts and Science College, Thiruvannamalai – 606601.
2PG and Research Department of Biochemistry, Scared Heart College (Autonomous), Tirupattur, Vellore - 635 601.
3Government Seed Testing Laboratory, Venkiggal, Thiruvannamalai – 606604.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2022
The present aimed to analysis the phytochemical and pharmacological activities of Ziziphus oenoplia seed extract. Hence the ethanolic extract was prepared and analyzed Gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) and Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrophotometer (FTIR). The GC-MS analysis of Ziziphus oenoplia showed 24 major peaks revealing the presence of 16 major phytochemical compounds in the Ziziphus oenoplia extract. Further, the FTIR analysis also confirmed the presence of alcohols, aromatic compound, alkanes, aldehydes, ketones, alkenes, amines, amides, nitro compounds, carboxylic acids, ethers and ester. Antimicrobial activity was tested against S. typhi, S. aureus and E.coli. The extracts showed significant inhibition towards the selective microbes. The identified compounds are further in needed to study in their pharmacological activities. Hence, the further studies are warranted. It could be expected Ziziphus oenoplia Seeds extract might be great helpful for human ailments.
Cite this article:
Anbu S, Boomiga S, Suresh A, Padma J. Phytochemical Screening and Antimicrobial Activity of Ziziphus oenoplia Seed Extract. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(2):615-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00101
Anbu S, Boomiga S, Suresh A, Padma J. Phytochemical Screening and Antimicrobial Activity of Ziziphus oenoplia Seed Extract. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(2):615-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00101 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-2-21
1. Shukla A, Garg S, Garg A, Mourya P, Jain CP. Investigations on hydroalcoholic extract of Zizyphus oenoplis for analgesic and anti- nociceptive activity. Asian Pacific J Trop Med. 2016; 1: 283-288
2. Shanmuga Priya. S, Aruna Sharmili. S, Anbumalarmathi. J, Umamaheswari. K. Evaluation of Phytochemical Constituents, In vitro Antimicrobial, Antioxidant, FT-IR and GC-MS Studies of Leaves of Solanum torvum, Rhizome of Acorus calamus and Whole Plant of Mollugo pentaphylla. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(2): 592-600.
3. Archana Kulkarni, Nasreen Jan, Seema Nimbarte. GC-MS, FT-IR and NMR Spectroscopy Analysis for Metabolome Profiling of Thyme Oil. Asian J. Research Chem. 2013: 6(10); 945-949.
4. Yang J, Yen HCE. Early salt stress effects on the changes in chemical composition in leaves of ice plant and Arabidopsis - A Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy study. J Plant Physiol. 2002; 130:1032-1042
5. Edwin Jose B, PanneerSelvam P. Identification of Phytochemical Constituents in the Leaf Extracts of Azima tetracantha Lam using Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS) analysis and Antioxidant Activity. Asian J. Research Chem. 2018; 11(6): 857-862.
6. Muthulakshmi A, Margret J and Mohan VR. GC-MS analysis of bioactive components of Feroniaele phantumcorrea (Rutaceae). App. pharmac. Sci. 2012; (2):69-74.
7. Petersen RC. Free-radicals and advanced chemistries involved in cell membrane organization influence oxygen diffusion and pathology treatment. AIMS Biophys. 4(2): 240–283 Pharmacology. 2017;. 2(1): 15-18
8. Swetha Sunkar, Akshaya. A, Aarthi. B, Valli Nachiyar. C, Prakash. P. Phytochemical analysis and isolation of endophytic bacteria from Bauhinia purpurea. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(5):1867-1876.
9. Senguttuvan J, Paulsamy S, Karthika K. Phytochemical analysis and evaluation of leaf and root parts of the medicinal herb, Hypochaeris radicata L. for in vitro antioxidant activities. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed. 2014; 4 (1): S359-S367
10. Ramalingam R, Madhavi BB, Nath AR, Duganath N, Sri UE, Banji D. Invitro antidenaturation and antibacterial activities of Ziziphus oenoplia. Scholars Research Library, Der Pharmacia. Lettre. 2010; 2(1): 87-93
11. Rao V, Rawat AKS, Singh Anil P. Hepato protective potential of Ethanolic extract of (L) Mill roots against Ziziphus oenoplia antitubercular drugs induced hepato toxicity in experimental models. Asia Pacific J Trop Med 2012; 4: 283-288
12. Visweswari G. Christopher R and Rajendra W. Phytochemical screening of active secondary metabolites present in withania somnifera root: role in traditional medicine. IJPSR. 2013; 4:7: 2770-2776.
13. Gokila Devi, T. Nagaraja Suryadevara, Divyabharathi, Gopinath, L. R. Venkatasathya Sai Appala Raju Velaga, Ponmurugan P. Efficacy of Moringa oleifera’s Therapeutic Compounds and its Antimicrobial Activity. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(8):3867-3872.
14. Kilimozhi D, Parthasarathy V, Manavalan R. Active Principles Determination by GC/MS in Delonix Elata and Clerodendrum Phlomidis. Asian J. Research Chem. 2009; 2(3): 344-348.
15. Saraswathi. K, Sivaraj. C, Jenifer. A, Dhivya. M, Arumugam. P. Antioxidant, Antibacterial activities, GCMS and FTIR Analysis of Ethanol bark extract of Capparis sepiaria L. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2020; 13(5): 2144-2150.
16. Varadarajan, P., Rathinaswamy, G. and Asirvatahm, D. Antimicrobial properties and phytochemical constituents of rheo discolor. Ethnobotanical Leaflet. 2008; 12: 841-845
17. Mitesh D Phale, Dipti Korgaonkar. Current Advance Analytical Techniques: A Review. Asian J. Research Chem. 2009:2(3); 235-238.
18. Mariadoss AVA, Ramachandran V, Shalini V, Agilan B, Franklin JH, Sanjay K, Alaa YG, Tawfiq MA, Ernest D. Green synthesis, characterization and antibacterial activity of silver nanoparticles by Malus domestica and its cytotoxic effect on (MCF-7) cell line. Microb Pathog. 2019 ;135:103609.
19. Duraipandiyan V, Ayyanar M, Ignacimuthu S. Antimicrobial activity of some ethnomedicinal plants used by Paliyar tribe from Tamil Nadu, India,” BMC Comp Alt Med. 2006; 6:35
20. Gao, Y., Arokia Vijaya Anand, M., Ramachandran, V. et al. Biofabrication of Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles from Aspergillus niger, Their Antioxidant, Antimicrobial and Anticancer Activity. J Clust Sci 2019; 30: 937–946.
21. Rukshana MS, Doss A and Kumari Pushpa Rani TP. Phytochemical Screening and GC-MS Analysis of Leaf Extract of Pergularia daemia (Forssk) Chiov. Asian J Plant Sci Res. 2017; 7(1): 9-15.