Basheer Mohammed Abdullah, Abdul Jaleel A.H, Shaikh Ifrah Fatema, Jiyaullakhan Maulakhan Pathan
Basheer Mohammed Abdullah*, Abdul Jaleel A.H, Shaikh Ifrah Fatema, Jiyaullakhan Maulakhan Pathan
Department of Physics, Maulana Azad College, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad, India.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2022
The objectives of this research were to determine the chemical composition of the extract of Macrotyloma uniflorum seeds by using Gas chromatography–Mass Spectrometry analysis (GC-MS). GC-MS is a matchless method to study and measure the quantity of organic volatile and semi-volatile compounds. Gas chromatography is employed to separates mixtures into individual components employing a temperature-controlled capillary column. Mass spectrometry is utilized to recognize a variety of components from their mass spectra. In the present study, volatile/semivolatile compounds present inM. uniflorum seed extract were analyzed. M. uniflorum seed extract isextracted by the soxhlet extraction method and then analyzed by GC-MS. A total of 28 compoundswere found and quantified in this study. The major bioactive compounds in M. uniflorum seed extract are: 1,7-Octadiyne, 1-Propanone, 1-phenyl-3-[2-( phenylmethoxy)phenyl] -(16.93%), Benzene, 1-methyl-4-(1,2,2-trimethylcyclopentyl)-, (R)-, Benzene, 1-(1,5-dimethyl-4-hexenyl)- 4-methyl- (13.88%) and à-Farnesene, 1,3,6,10-Dodecatetraene, 3,7,11-trimethyl- (Z,E)- (12.68%). The present investigation revealed that M. uniflorum was composed of variety of metabolites and therapeutic active substances as well as novel substances. These substances could be isolated and further empirically evaluated to confirm their biologic and medicinal activities as well as investigate their mechanism of action.
Cite this article:
Basheer Mohammed Abdullah, Abdul Jaleel A.H, Shaikh Ifrah Fatema, Jiyaullakhan Maulakhan Pathan. Identification of Bioactive Compounds Present in Kulthi (Macrotyloma uniflorum) Seed Extract by Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(2):814-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00135
Basheer Mohammed Abdullah, Abdul Jaleel A.H, Shaikh Ifrah Fatema, Jiyaullakhan Maulakhan Pathan. Identification of Bioactive Compounds Present in Kulthi (Macrotyloma uniflorum) Seed Extract by Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(2):814-8. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00135 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-2-55
1. Ghani, A. Medicinal Plants of Bangladesh: Chemical Constituents and Uses. Asiatic Society of Bangladesh. 1998.
2. Chakraborty, P., Abraham, J. Antimicrobial and Cytotoxic Effects of Macrotyloma uniflorum Extract. IJPPR. 2016, 8(8), 1334-1340.
3. Kaundal, S. P., Sharma, A., Kumar, R., Kumar, V., Kumar, R. Exploration of medicinal importance of an underutilized legume crop, Macrotyloma uniflorum (Lam.) Verdc. (Horse gram): a review. Int. J. Pharm. Sci. Res. 2019, 10(7), 3178-86.
4. Saha, D., Paul, S. Pharmacognostic Studies of Aerial Part of Methanolic Extract of Alpinia conchigera Griff. Asian J. Pharm. Anal. 2012, 2(2), 46-48.
5. Suriyamoorthy, P., Subrhamanian, H., Kanagasapabathy, D. Comparative Phytochemical Investigation of Leaf, Stem, Flower, and Seed Extracts of Macrotyloma uniflorum L. Indo. Ame. J. Pharma. Rese. 2014, 4(11), 5415-5419.
6. Kumar, P. P.; Rao, M. R.; Elizabeth, A. A.; Prabhu, K., Sundaram, R. L.; Dinakar, S. The GC MS analysis of one ayurvedic medicine Sahacharadi Kashayam. Int. J. Pharm. Technol. 2018, 10(1), 31214-31230.
7. Marimuthu, M.; Krishnamoorthi, K.. Nutrients and Functional Properties of Horse Gram (Macrotyloma uniflorum), an Underutilized South Indian Food Legume. J. Chem. Pharm. Res. 2013, 5(5), 390-394.
8. Deshmukh, M. M.; Ambad, C. S.; Kendre, N.; Kashid, N. G.. Biochemical Screening, Antibacterial and GC-MS Analysis of Ethanolic Extract of Hemidesmus indicus (L) R. Br. root. Res. Rev. J. Pharmacogn. 2019,11(2), 73-80.
9. Mehdi, M. A. H., Alarabi, F. Y., Farooqui, M., Pradhan, V. Phytochemical screening and antiamebic studies of Tamaridus indica of leaves extract. Asian. J. Pharm. Clin. Res. 2019, 12(2), 507-512.
10. Mehdi, M. A. H.; Alarabi, F. Y.; Omar, G. M. N.; Salem, K. N. Q.; Pradhan, V. Evaluation of haematological changes in Entamoeba histolytica-infected rats administered with extracts of Ziziphus mauritiana leaves. Res. J. Pharm .Techno. 2020, 13(9), 4105-4110.
11. Ramasubramaniaraja, R. Pharmacognostical phytochemical including GC-MS investigation of ethanolic leaf extracts of Abutilon indicum (Linn). Asian. J. Pharma Analysis. 2011 ,1(4), 88-92.
12. Rajabudeen, E., Ganthi, A. S.; Subramanian, M. GC-MS Analysis of the Methanol Extract of Tephrosia villosa (L.) Pers. Asian. J. Res. Chem. 2012 , 5(11), 1331-1334.
13. Kilimozhi, D., Parthasarathy, V., Manavalan, R. Active Principles Determination by GC/MS in Delonix Elata and Clerodendrum Phlomidis. Asian. J.of Rese. Chem. 2009, 2(3), 344-348.
14. Kumari, C., Deepalakshmi, J. Qualitative and GC-MS Analysis of Phytoconstituents of Parthenium hysterophorus Linn. Res. Rev. J. Pharmacogn. Phytochem. 2017, 9(2), 105-110.
15. Anandan, A.; Eswaran, R.;Doss, A.; Sangeetha, G.; & Anand, S. P. Investigation for bioactive compounds of Aerva lanata (L.) Juss. ex Schultes. Asian. J.Res.Chem. 2012, 5(4), 469-471.
16. Abdullah, B. M.; Mehdi, M. A. H.; Khan, A. R.; Pathan, J. M. Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS) Analysis of Ajwain (Trachyspermum ammi) Seed Extract. Int. J. Pharm. Qual. Assur. 2020,11(2):228-231.
17. Kachru, A.; Bisht, M.; Baunthiyal, M. In vitro evaluation of anti-neprolithiatic activity of leaves and seeds of Macrotyloma uniflorum on dissolution or removal of kidney stones. Res. Rev. J. Pharmacogn. Phytochem. 2016 , 8(1), 5-12.
18. Refaat, J.; Kamel, M. S.; Ramadan, M. A.; Ali, A. A. GC-MS studies of Crinum asiaticum L. Leaves and Flowers. J. Pharmacogn. Phytochem. 2011, 3(5), 232-235.
19. Sermakkani, M., Thangapandian, V. GC-MS Analysis of Cassia italica Leaf Methanol Extract. Asian. J. Pharm. Clin. Res. 2012 , 5(2), 90-94.
20. Elaiyaraja, A., Chandramohan, G. Comparative Phytochemical Profile of Crinum Defixum Ker-Gawler Leaves Using GC-MS. J. Drug Deliv. Ther. 2018, 8(4), 365-380.
21. Devi, J. A. I., Muthu, A. K. Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry Analysis Of Phytocomponents In The Ethanolic Extract From Whole Plant of Lactuca runcinata Dc. Asian. J. Pharm. Clin. Res. 2015, 8(1): 202-206
22. Abdullah, B. M.; Mehdi, M. A. H.; Fatema, I.; Pathan, J. M."GC-MS Determination of Bioactive Compounds of Catha edulis Forsk, Growing in Yemen. Our Heritage. 2020, 68, no. 38: 375-385.
23. De Sousa, D. P., Quintans Jr, L., De Almeida, R. N. Evolution of The Anticonvulsant Activity of Α-Terpineol. Pharm. Bio. 2007, 45(1), 69-70.
24. Da Silva, E. T., Da Silva Araújo, A., Moraes, A. M., De Souza, L. A., Silva Lourenço, M. C., De Souza, M. V., Wardell, S. M. Synthesis and Biological Activities of Camphor Hydrazone and Imine Derivatives. Sci. Pharm. 2016 , 84(3), 467-483.