Okafo Sinodukoo Eziuzo, Avbunudiogba John Afokoghene, Anizor Onyekachukwu Benedicta
firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
Okafo Sinodukoo Eziuzo*, Avbunudiogba John Afokoghene, Anizor Onyekachukwu Benedicta
Department of Pharmaceutics and Industrial Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Delta State University, Abraka.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2022
The aim of this study was to evaluate Detarium microcarpum gum (DMG) as polymer in formulated mucoadhesive albendazole tablets. FTIR studies were conducted to evaluate compatibility of DMG with albendazole. Mucoadhesive albendazole tablets were prepared by non-aqueous wet granulation technique using DMG alone (30%, 20% or 10%), in combination with carbopol (15%/15%) or carbopol alone (30%) respectively as polymers. Granules prepared were evaluated for flow rate, angle of repose, bulk and tapped density, particle size distribution, Hausner’s ratio and compressibility index. The prepared tablets were evaluated for thickness, diameter, hardness, weight uniformity, friability, drug content, dissolution, swelling studies and mucoadhesive strength. The uniformity of weight for the formulated tablets ranged from 591.1±0.011 to 601.6±0.001 mg while the drug content ranged from 98.6% to 101.3%. Tablet hardness ranged from 5.10±000 to 10.77±0.01 Kgf and friability was between 0.25±0.00 and 0.42±0.02%. The mucoadhesive strength ranged from 1.293 x 10-4 to 6.45 x 10-4. Post compression parameters were within acceptable limits. The cumulative drug release for formulations F1-F3 produced using DMG (38.52 to 54.45%) were significant improvement on that produced using carbopol (11.62%) and marketed product (8.21%). The produced tablets were stable after accelerated stability studies at 40oC and 75% relative humidity. FTIR studies indicated that DMG did not show any incompatibility with albendazole. DMG at concentration of 30%w/w could be used to produce mucoadhesive albendazole tablets with prolonged and sustained release characteristics comparable to those produced using standard polymer, carbopol.
Cite this article:
Okafo Sinodukoo Eziuzo, Avbunudiogba John Afokoghene, Anizor Onyekachukwu Benedicta. Evaluation of Mucoadhesive albendazole tablets formulated using Detarium microcarpum gum. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(2):889-5. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00149
Okafo Sinodukoo Eziuzo, Avbunudiogba John Afokoghene, Anizor Onyekachukwu Benedicta. Evaluation of Mucoadhesive albendazole tablets formulated using Detarium microcarpum gum. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(2):889-5. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00149 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-2-69
1. Rigter IM, Schipper HG, Koopmans RP, van Kan HJM, Frijlink HW, Kager PA, Guchelaar HJ. Relative Bioavailability of Three Newly Developed Albendazole Formulations: a Randomized Crossover Study with Healthy Volunteers. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. 2004; 48(3): 1051–1054.
2. Sungka S, Irmawati RFP, Haswinzky RA, Dwinastiti YA, Wahdini S, Firmansyah NE, Adawiyah R, Buntaran S, Kekalih A, Kusumowidagdo G. The effectiveness of triple-dose albendazole in comparison with mebendazole for the treatment of trichuriasis in children. Int J App Pharm. 2019; 11(Spec. 6): 104-107
3. Rane DR, Gulve HN, Patil VV, Thakare VM, Patil VR. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablet of albendazole. International Current Pharmaceutical Journal. 2012; 1(10): 311-316.
4. Sawatdee S, Atipairin A, Yoon AS, Srichana T, Changsan N and Suwandecha T. Formulation Development of Albendazole-Loaded Self-Microemulsifying Chewable Tablets to Enhance Dissolution and Bioavailability. Pharmaceutics. 2019; 11(134):1-20
5. Dong CL, Zheng SD, Liu YY, Cui WQ, Hao MQ, Bello-Onaghise G, Chen XY, Li YH. Albendazole solid dispersions prepared using PEG6000 and Poloxamer188: formulation, characterization and in vivo evaluation. Pharmaceutical Development and Technology. 2020; 25(9): 1043-1052.
6. Shuaib A, Rohit A, Piyush M. Preparation and evaluatation of Albendazole chewable tablet. International Journal of Applied Research. 2016; 2(6): 327-329.
7. Kimaro E, Tibalinda P, Shedafa R, Temu M, Kaale E. Formulation development of chewable albendazole tablets with improved dissolution rate. Heliyon. 2019; 5.
8. Moriwaki C, Costa GL, Ferracini CN, de Moraes FF, Zanin GM, Pineda EAG, Matioli G. Enhancement of solubility of albendazole by complexation with β-cyclodextrin. Brazilian Journal of Chemical Engineering. 2008; 25(2): 255-267.
9. Meena AK, Sharma K, Kandaswamy M, Rajagopal S, Mullangi R. Formulation development of an albendazole self-emulsifying drug delivery system (SEEDS) with enhanced systemic exposure. Acta Pharm. 2012; 62(4): 563-580.
10. Carvalho FC, Bruschi ML, Evangelista RC, Gremião MPD. Mucoadhesive drug delivery systems. Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2010; 46(1)
11. Patil P, Kulkarni SV, Rao SB, Ammanage A, Surpur C, Basavaraj. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of mucoadhesive tablets of ofloxacin using natural gums. Int J Curr Pharm Res. 2011; 3(2): 93-98.
12. Gunda RK, Vijayalakshmi A, Masilamani K. Development, In-Vitro and In-Vivo Evaluation of Gastro Retentive Formulations for Moxifloxacin HCl. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(10): 4668-4674.
13. Phanindra B, MoorthyBK, Muthukumaran M. Recent advances in mucoadhesive/ bioadhesive drug delivery system: a review. Int. J. Pharm. Med. and Bio. Sc. 2013; 2(1): 68-84
14. Jamkar K, Mutha S, Hardikar S, Kumbhar N. Formulation and evaluation of racecadotril mucoadhesive microspheres. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2020; 12( 2): 55-61.
15. Shinkar DM, Shaikh TA, Saudagar RB. Design, optimization and evaluation of mucoadhesive buccal tablet of valsartan. IJPSR. 2020; 11(5): 2093-2103.
16. Okafo SE, Okedu O, Alalor C. Formulation and Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Ciprofloxacin Tablet Using Sida acuta Gum African Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Development. 2017; 9(1): 40-48.
17. Alalor CA, Agbamu E, Okafo SE. Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Microspheres of Metronidazole Formulated Using Ionic Gelation Technique. Scholars Academic Journal of Pharmacy. 2018; 7(12): 480-487.
18. Ahmed MG, Satish KBP, Kiran KGB. Formulation and evaluation of gastric- mucoadhesive drug delivery systems of captopril. Journal of Current Pharmaceutical Research. 2010; 2(1): 26-32
19. Rençber S, Karavana SY. Formulation and optimization of gellan gum-poloxamer based dexamethasone mucoadhesive in situ gel. J Res Pharm. 2020; 24(4): 529-538.
20. Adikwu MU, Okorie O and Attama AA. Pharmacodynamics of metformin in detarium Gum mucoadhesive formulation. Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2004; 3(3): 54-56.
21. Odoh UE, Ene C. Phytochemical studies and investigation on the anti-inflammatory activity of Detarium microcarpum Guill (Fabaceae). World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2020; 9(7): 38-51.
22. Okafo SE, Alalor CA, Ordu JI. Design and in vitro evaluation of sustained release matrix tablets of metformin produced using Detarium microcarpum gum. International Journal of Applied Pharmaceutics. 2020; 12(5): 131-137.
23. British Pharmacopoeia. Stationary Office London, UK; 2014.
24. Attama A. A, Adikwu M.U, Okoli N.D. Studies on bioadhesive granules I: Granules formulated with Prosopis Africana (Prosopis) gum, Chem Pharm. Bull. 2000; 48: 734-737.
25. Nowshad S, Pathan SI. Preparation and evaluation of gastroretentive floating pellets of metronidazole. Bangladesh Pharmaceutical Journal. 2013; 16(1): 107-115.
26. Anilkumar K, Venkatachalam S, Sakthivel K, Chand AGO. Formulation development and evaluation of floating bioadhesive tablet of antiretroviral drug. Int J Pharm Sci and Res. 2021; 12(2): 820-29.
27. Bhaduka G, Rajawat JS. Formulation development and solubility enhancement of voriconazole by solid dispersion technique. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(10): 4557-4564.