The present study was planned to prepare Gastro-retentive controlled release of floating in situ gel of Cefixime by using sodium alginate and xanthan gum. The six floating in situ gelling formulations (F1 to F6) were evaluated for visual appearance, pH, gelation, viscosity, buoyancy, drug content, water uptake, gel density, gel strength, drug release and stability. The results of above parameters were found to be satisfactorily. The F6 showed drug release for longer time and it was considered a best formation. The F6 were stable at the selected temperature and humidity when stored for 3 months. The findings it was concluded that the prepared sustained release in situ gel of Cefixime might be safe and effective controlled drug delivery for extended period of time.
Cite this article:
Preeti Chaturvedi, Ashish Manigauha. Formulation and Development of Sustained Release of Cefixime using Floating Oral In Situ Gelling System. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(3):1151-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00193
Preeti Chaturvedi, Ashish Manigauha. Formulation and Development of Sustained Release of Cefixime using Floating Oral In Situ Gelling System. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(3):1151-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00193 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-3-36
1. Pareek R, Sharma PK, Sharma V. Contemporary Development in Floating Oral In-Situ Gel: A Review. Pharmaceutical and Biosciences Journal. 2019; 7(3): 01-07.
2. Remya PN, Gayathri H, Saraswathi TS, Kavitha R, Sangeetha S, Damodharan N. Development and Evaluation of Floating in-Situ Gel Solution of Lansoprazole. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(12): 4323-4327.
3. Rakesh B. Patel, Musharraf A. Chauhan, Ankur L. Shah, Shakti J. Suthar, Manish P. Patel, Jayvadan K. Patel. Floating In Situ Gel: New Trends in Controlled and Sustained Gastroretentive Drug Delivery System. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2012; 5(7): 889-893.
4. Patel RB, Chauhan MA, Shah AL, Suthar SJ, Patel MP, Patel JP. Floating In Situ Gel: New Trends in Controlled and Sustained Gastroretentive Drug Delivery System. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2012; 5(7): 889-893.
5. NG Choudhary, AM Syed, VV Kale, JG Avari. Oral Sustained Release in Situ Gel Forming Polymeric Drug Delivery Systems. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2010; 3(3): 682-687.
6. Sheikh AA. Development and Characterization of Novel In Situ Gel of Moxifloxacin Hydrochloride. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2017; 11(3): 616-624.
7. Ramakrishna BS. Helicobacter pylori infection in India: the case against eradication. Indian Journal of Gastroenterology. 2006; 25(1): 25–28.
8. Joel GH. Agents for control of gastric acidity and treatment of peptic ulcers. In: Gilman AG, Hardman JG, Limbird LE, editors. The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. New York, NY, USA: The MC Graw Hill, 2001; pp. 909–910.
9. Singh BN and Kim KH. Floating drug delivery system. An approach to oral control drug delivery via gastric retention. J Control Rel. 2000; 63: 235-259.
10. Silanki R, Parikh FJ, Goyal S. Formulation and Evaluation of Floatable In Situ Gel of Ofloxacin. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2018; 12(2): 722-727.
11. Pareek R, Sharma PK, Sharma V. Development of Sustained Release of Gatifloxacin by Using Floating Oral in Situ Gelling System. Pharmaceutical and Biosciences Journal. 2019; 7(6): 11-16.
12. Maheswaran A, Padmavathy J, Nandhini V, Saravanan D, Angel P. Formulation and evaluation of floating oral in situ gel of diltiazem hydrochloride. International Journal of Applied Pharmaceutics. 2016; 9(1): 50-53.
13. Bashir R, Raza SN, Kawoosa S, Wani TU and Khan NA: Formulation and evaluation of floating oral in-situ gelling system of losartan potassium. Int J Pharm Sci & Res 2019; 10(4): 2045-53.
14. Bobade NN, Pande SD. Formulation and Evaluation of Controlled Release Gastro-Retentive In situ Gel for Diltiazem Hydrochloride. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research. 2016; 50(3): S254-S265.
15. Jayswal BD, Yadav VT, Patel KN, Patel BA and Patel PA: Formulation and evaluation of floating in-situ gel based gastro retentive drug delivery of cimetidine. International Jour for Pharmaceutical Research Scholars. 2012; 1(2): 327-37.
16. Roy A, Nautiyal V, Sahu RK, Fattepur S. Herbosomes: Impressive Tool for Better Bioavailability and Bioactivity of Plant Extracts and Botanicals. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(1):471-476.
17. Ganapati R, Bhimagoni SK and Anegundha S: Floating drug delivery of a locally acting H2-antagonist. An approach using an in-situ gelling liquid formulation. Acta Pharm. 2009; 59(3): 345-354.
18. Singh SR, Jadhav KR, Tripathi PK. Novel Floating In situ gel of Antihyperlipidemic agent. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(3): 1086-1090.
19. Ikbal A. M. A, Rajkhowa A, Singh P. C, Choudhury P. D, Sahu R. K. Assessment of Phytochemical and Anthelmintic Activity of Some Selected Ethnomedicinal Plants from Barak Valley Region of Assam. Biomed Pharmacol J 2020;13(4): 1825-1831.
20. Jorapur D, Nagesh C, Suma N, Chandrasekhara S, Attimarad SL, Kengeri S. Ion Sensitive Floating in Situ Gel for Controlled Delivery of Famotidine and Domperidone Maleate for the Treatment of Gastro Oesophageal Reflux Disease. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(5):1984-1989.
21. Khan J, Norfarhani S, Sahu RK, Ruhi S, Kaleemullah M, Al-Dhalli S, Rasny M, Budiasih S, Baber S, Ng CH, Shamiha NN, Khan GM, Gamal OE, Fattepur S, Nilugal K, Abdullah I, Asmani F, Yusuf E. Development and Evaluation of topical Emulgel of Aspirin using different Polymeric Bases. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(12): 6300-6304