Ikhram Hardi S., Tri Martiana, Merryana Adriani, Suharni
Ikhram Hardi S.1, Tri Martiana2*, Merryana Adriani3, Suharni4
1Lecturer, Department of Occupational Health and Safety, Faculty of Public Health, Universitas Muslim Indonesia, Makassar, Indonesia.
2Professor, Department of Occupational Health And Safety, Faculty of Public Health, Universitas Airlangga, Surabaya 60115, Indonesia.
3Professor, Department of Nutrition, Faculty of Public Health, Universitas Airlangga, Surabaya, Indonesia.
4Lecturer, Department of Occupational Health and Safety, Faculty of Public Health, Universitas Muslim Indonesia, Makassar, Indonesia.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2022
This study aims to explain the haematological profile, nutritional status and health complaints of Pertamina fuel station operators in Makassar City. This descriptive observational study conducted with 29 subjects as operators in two Pertamina fuel stations. Data of haematology profile was obtained through haematology examined by Prodia Makassar Clinical Laboratory, nutritional status by measurement of BMI (Body Mass Index) and health complaints were taken by questionnaire. Data were analyzed using descriptive tests. The hematological profile of subjects data focused on abnormal result frequency, mean and min-max include Hb Levels (10.3%; 12.30-16.80 g/dl), Hematocrit Levels (6.9%; 35.90-48.80%), Erythrocyte Levels (3.4%; 3.98-5.74 106/µL), MCV Levels (0%; 81.30-92.90 fL), MCH Levels (0%; 27.70-32.80 pg), MCHC levels (3.4%; 33.10-36.40 g/dL), RDW-CV levels (6.9%; 11.30-13.90%), Platelet Levels (10.3%; 145.00-495.00 103/µL), Leukocyte Levels (10.3%; 5.50-13.30 103/µL), Basophile Levels (10.3%; 0.20-1.30%), Eucinophil Levels (65.5%; 0.50-11.50 %), Neutrophil Levels (27.6%; 36.10-67.40%), Lymphocyte Levels (17.2%; 24.80-52.40%), Monocyte Levels (27.6%; 5.30-15.10%), ESR Level (6.9%; 2.00-25.00 mm/hr). Furthermore, nutritional status shown that thin (17.2%), Normal (58.6%) and Fat (24.1%); (17.10-33.60kg/m2) and data of Health Complaint were mild complaints (62.1%) and severe complaints (37.9%). This research found that Eucinophil was the highest haematological profile abnormal (more than half of the subject of study) and all of the subjects had MCV and MCH at a normal level. Only some subjects were thin and fat on nutritional status. Moreover, there were much more subjects had severe complaints. So, it is recommended to identified factors related to cause of abnormal haematology profile and the severe complaints and how to cope it.
Cite this article:
Ikhram Hardi S., Tri Martiana, Merryana Adriani, Suharni. Hematology profile, Nutritional status and Health complaints of Pertamina Fuel Station Operators in Makassar, Indonesia. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(3):966-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00161
Ikhram Hardi S., Tri Martiana, Merryana Adriani, Suharni. Hematology profile, Nutritional status and Health complaints of Pertamina Fuel Station Operators in Makassar, Indonesia. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(3):966-0. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00161 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-3-4
1. ILO. Laporan ILO 2018, Meningkatkan Keselamatan dan Kesehatan Pekerja Muda/Organisasi Perburuhan Internasional, Kantor Jakarta. 2018.
2. Kementerian Kesehatan RI. Infodatin, Pusat Data dan Informasi Kementerian Kesehatan RI: Situasi Kesehatan Kerja. 2015. available at: <https://www.kemkes.go.id/download.php?file=download/pusdatin/infodatin/infodatin-kesja.pdf>.
3. WHO. Preventing Disease Through Healthy Environments. Exposure To Benzene: A Major Public Health Concern. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO Document Production Services. 2010.
4. NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health). NIOSH Pocket Guide To Chemical Hazards. NIOSH Publications 4676 Columbia Parkway Cincinnati, Ohio 45226-1998. 2007. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2005-149/pdfs/2005-149.pdf.
5. Singaraju M et al. Cytogenetic biomonitoring in petrol station attendants : A micronucleus study. Journal of Cytology 2012; 29(1):1–6.
6. Valavanidis A et al. Pulmonary oxidative stress, inflammation and cancer : Respirable particulate matter, fibrous dusts and ozone as major causes of lung carcinogenesis through reactive oxygen species mechanisms. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 2013;10(9):3886–3907.
7. Fenga C et al. Low-dose occupational exposure to benzene and signal transduction pathways involved in the regulation of cellular response to oxidative stress. Life Sciences 2016; 147(February):67–70.
8. Mahmood NA et al. Measurement of total antioxidant status (TAO) and superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase (CAT) enzymes in petrol station workers. Iraqi Journal of Community Medicine 2011;24(2):120–124.
9. Tunsaringkarn T et al. Occupational exposure of gasoline station workers to BTEX compounds in Bangkok, Thailand. International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 2012; 3(3):117–125.
10. Vidula Sri N. Relationship of waist-hip ratio and body mass index (BMI) to the blood pressure of individuals in Chennai population. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2015; 8(7):906-908. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2015.00147.X.
11. Merlin Abraham, Lissa J, Sheela Williams. A correlation study to assess the relationship of menstrual irregularities, body mass index (BMI) and hemoglobin (Hb) level among adolescent girls in selected College at Mysuru. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research 2018; 6(1):101-106. doi: 10.5958/2454-2660.2018.00025.X.
12. Sripradha S. To study the impact of nonsurgical periodontal therapy on BMI and hip-waist ratio in obese patients with and without periodontitis. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2016; 9(10):1704-1706. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2016.00343.7.
13. Harjinder Kaur. A co-relational study on nutritional status of children and feeding practices of mothers in selected hospitals of Jammu, 2015. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research 2017; 7(3): 269-272. doi: 0.5958/2349-2996.2017.00055.6.
14. Roopa N. Sheela Williams. A study to assess the nutritional status and to determine the effectiveness of a nutritional awareness programme on knowledge regarding balanced diet among visually challenged young adults in selected Institutions of Mysuru, Karnataka. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management 2017; 5(4):281-287. doi: 10.5958/2454-2652.2017.00061.0.
15. Vinay Kumar G. Sushmitha HS. Madhu SA. Study to assess nutritional status of under five children in selected rural areas of Chamarajanagar district with a view to develop information pamphlet. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management 2021; 9(1):40-42. doi: 10.5958/2454-2652.2021.00011.1.
16. Matulessy PF. Rachmat A. Gizi Kerja dan Penatalaksanaannya. Jakarta: Yayasan Penerbitan Ikatan Dokter Indonesia, Ikatan Dokter Kesehatan Kerja Indonesia; 1997.
17. Sumana Yesu Priya SH. A study to correlate the feeding practice of mother with nutritional status of their children at selected rural community, kolar with a view to develop Information booklet. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research 2018; 8(3):423-433. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2018.00087.3.
18. Ponnambily Chandy Jobin. The nutritional status, dietary pattern and health outcomes among the adolescent girls in the suburban areas of Chennai. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research 2019; 7(2):165-169. doi: 10.5958/2454-2660.2019.00033.4.
19. Sumanpreet Kaur. A descriptive study to assess the prevalence of cardiovascular risk factors among adolescents in selected Schools of Banga, District Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar, Punjab. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research 2016; 6(3):361-370. doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2016.00068.9.
20. Vinay Kumar G. Manjula. Prasanna Kumar. Nutritional status of elderly people using mini nutritional assessment tool at selected rural area of Chamarajanagara District. International Journal of Nursing Education and Research 2021; 9(1):61-64. doi: 10.5958/2454-2660.2021.00014.4.
21. Kan Kana De. Kaushik Sankar Bose. Menarcheal age, nutritional status and of adolescent girls of salboni block of West Medinipur, West Bengal, India. International Journal of Reviews and Research in Social Sciences 2016; 4(3):153-158. doi: 10.5958/2454-2687.2016.00006.X.
22. Proshob Mathew. Chandrashekar M. A study to assess the emotional and behavioral problems among overweight children in selected Schools at Mysuru. Asian Journal of Nursing Education and Research 2015; 5(4):451-456 doi: 10.5958/2349-2996.2015.00092.0.