Raghad A. Alkhaerow, Shatha H. Mohammad, Nabeel N. Fadhil
Raghad A. Alkhaerow1, Shatha H. Mohammad2, Nabeel N. Fadhil3
1Nineveh Health Directorate, Mosul, Iraq.
2College of Medicine, University of Mosul, Mosul, Iraq.
3College of Medicine, Ninevah University, Mosul, Iraq.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2022
The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of weekly dose of 50.000IU vitamin D for 8 weeks on serum adiponectin level in diabetic patients who have vitamin D deficiency. The study has been included 80 female and male patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus who have vitamin D deficiency were ages range from 25 to 70 years old. The patients have been prepared to have fasting serum adiponectin and vitamin D level tests. After 8 weeks of treatment with vitamin D as an add-on to the conventional anti-diabetic drugs taken up by the patients, there was a highly significant improvement in vitamin D and serum adiponectin level. The mean ±Std. of vitamin D at the base line was 14.76 ±6.02 ng/ml and after 8 weeks' treatment was 42.865 ±12.012 ng/ml. For adiponectin level, the mean ±Std. at the base line and after 8weeks treatment with vitamin D was 7.316 ±1.563 ng/ml, 9.705 ±3.269 ng/ml respectively. As a conclusion, vitamin D level corrected and became in sufficient values after treatment with 50.000IU vitamin D for 8 weeks. Also there is a highly significant improvement in serum adiponectin level after 8 weeks of vitamin D treatment.
Cite this article:
Raghad A. Alkhaerow, Shatha H. Mohammad, Nabeel N. Fadhil. Effect of Vitamin D Therapy on Adiponectin level among type 2 Diabetes mellitus patients. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(3):1263-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00211
Raghad A. Alkhaerow, Shatha H. Mohammad, Nabeel N. Fadhil. Effect of Vitamin D Therapy on Adiponectin level among type 2 Diabetes mellitus patients. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(3):1263-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00211 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-3-54
1. Prasanna JL, Deepthi B, Rao NR. Malabsorption of Drugs in Gastrointestinal Diseases: a Review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2013;6(1):29-33. doi.org/10.5958/0974-360X
2. Seyyed Abootorabi M, Ayremlou P, Behroozi-Lak T, Nourisaeidlou S. The effect of vitamin D supplementation on insulin resistance, visceral fat and adiponectin in vitamin D deficient women with polycystic ovary syndrome: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Gynecological Endocrinology. 2018 Jun 3;34(6):489-94. doi.org/10.1080/09513590.2017.1418311.
3. Merkhan M, Mohammad J, Fathi Z, Younis Z, Mahmood S, Mohammed M. Silent hyperlipidaemia modulated vascular endothelial markers. Pharmacia. 2021 Oct 6;68:479. doi.org/ 10.3897/pharmacia.68.e67959
4. Alam N, Agrawal OP, Alam P, Agrawal S, Kaushik M, Dhari JS, Sharma OP. Natural immunoenhancers. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2011;4(10):1526-32. doi.org/10.5958/0974-360X
5. Breslavsky A, Frand J, Matas Z, Boaz M, Barnea Z, Shargorodsky M. Effect of high doses of vitamin D on arterial properties, adiponectin, leptin and glucose homeostasis in type 2 diabetic patients. Clinical nutrition. 2013 Dec 1;32(6):970-5. doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2013.01.020.
6. Almukhtar HM, Faisal IM, Merkhan MM. Effects of statins on platelet count in hyperlipidemic patients. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2020 Apr;12(2). doi.org/10.31838/ijpr/2020.12.02.357
7. Manikandan M, Kannan K, Selvamuthukumar S, Manavalan R. Design, Development and Evaluation of Metformin Hydrochloride and Glimepiride Immediate Release Tablets. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2012 Apr 1;5(4):547. doi.org/10.5958/0974-360X
8. Faisal IM, Almukhtar HM, Merkhan MM, Alobaidi RW. Comparative anti-inflammatory effect of risperidone versus olanzapine in schizophrenic patients. Indian Journal of Public Health Research and Development. 2019 Aug 1;10(8):964-9.
9. Afsoon Emami Naini, Sahar Vahdat, Zahra Parin Hedaiati, Safoura Shahzeidi, Amir Hossein Pezeshki, and Hamid Nasri. The effect of vitamin D administration on serum leptin and adiponectin levels in end-stage renal disease patients on hemodialysis with vitamin D deficiency: A placebo-controlled double-blind clinical trial .,J Res Med Sci. 2016; 21: 1. Published online 2016 Jan 28. doi: 10.4103/1735-1995.175144
10. Afshin Gharekhani, Najafipour, F., Baradaran, H., Tagharrobi, P. and Rezaee, H., 2020. The Effect of Treating Vitamin D Deficiency or Insufficiency on Serum Adiponectin, Leptin and Insulin Resistance of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Patients: A Pilot Study. Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research; 19(3), p.86-94. doi: 10.22037/ijpr.2020.112067.13512
11. Budhwani AK, Shrivastava B, Singhai AK, Gupta P. Antihypergycemic activity of ethanolic extract of leaves of Dioscorea japonica in STZ-induced diabetic rats. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2012;5(4):553-7. doi.org/10.5958/0974-360X
12. Faisal IM, Merkhan MM, Almukhtar HM. Effect of chronic Allopurinol therapy on Thyroid function in patients with urate stones. Journal of Advanced Pharmacy Education and Research| Oct-Dec. 2020;10(4):5.
13. Almukhtar HM Faisal IM, Merkhan MM, Acute effect of atorvastatin in comparison with rosuvastatin on glucose homeostasis in hypercholesteremic patients, Cur Topics in Pharm. 2021, 25: p25-34
14. Abdulrazzaq G, Khalaf MM, Merkhan MM. Allopurinol therapy impairs lipid metabolism in patients with renal stone. Curr topics in Pharmacology. 2020;1:1.
15. Imga NN, Karci AC, Oztas D, Berker D, Guler S. Effects of vitamin D supplementation on insulin resistance and dyslipidemia in overweight and obese premenopausal women. Archives of medical science: AMS. 2019 May;15(3):598.doi.org/10.5114/aoms.2018.75864
16. Hend Y. Younis, Imad A. Thanoon, N. N. F. and M. M. M. Effect of zinc as an add on to metformin therapy on serum lipid profile and uric acid in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients. Curr topics in Pharmacology 25, (2021).
17. Hania R Ardabili , Bahram P Gargari, Laya FarzadiNutr Res Vitamin D supplementation has no effect on insulin resistance assessment in women with polycystic ovary syndrome and vitamin D deficiency Nutrition Research., Volume 32, Issue 3, March 2012, Pages 195-201 doi: 10.1016/j.nutres.2012.02.001.
18. M Merkhan M. The effects of glibenclamide on thyroid function tests in type 2 diabetic patients. Iraqi Journal of Pharmacy. 2013 Dec 28;13(2):55-61. doi.org/10.33899/iphr.2013.86556
19. Hanne L Gulseth , Cecilie Wium , Kristin Angel , Erik F Eriksen , Kåre I Birkeland . Effects of Vitamin D Supplementation on Insulin Sensitivity and Insulin Secretion in Subjects With Type 2 Diabetes and Vitamin D Deficiency: A Randomized Controlled Trial ., Diabetes Care. 2017 Jul;40(7):872-878. doi: 10.2337/dc16-2302.
20. Ahmad AA, Almukhtar HM, Merkhan MM. Vasomotor impact of perivascular adipose tissue on coronary circulation. Indian Journal of Public Health Research and Development. 2019 Oct 1;10(10).
21. Salehpour S, Hosseini S, Nazari L, Hosseini M, Saharkhiz N. The effect of vitamin D supplementation on insulin resistance among women with polycystic ovary syndrome. JBRA assisted reproduction. 2019 Jul;23(3):235. doi: 10.5935/1518-0557.20190032
22. Ahmad AA, Merkhan MM, Abdulrazzaq GM. Effect of Xanthine Oxidase Inhibition on Immunity Modulation in Human. European Journal of Molecular and Clinical Medicine. 2021 Jan 13;7(10):1307-16.
23. Abdulrazzaq, G., Khalaf, M. M. and Merkhan, M. M. Allopurinol therapy impairs lipid metabolism in patients with renal stone. Curr. Top. Pharmacol. 24, 105–112 (2020).
24. Alkazaz AA, Faisal I, Merkhan M, Al-mukhtar H, Khalaf M, Zainal A, Yunis A, Hasw G, M. M. Efficacy of drugs for classical trigeminal neuralgia; statistical study comparative to gold-standard carbamazepine. J. Garmian Univ. (2019).
25. Nitin Gupta, Khalid J. Farooqui, Chandar M. Batra, Raman K. Marwaha,And Ambrish Mithal, Effect of oral versus intramuscular Vitamin D replacement in apparently healthy adults with Vitamin D deficiency., Indian J Endocrinol Metab. Jan-Feb 2017;21(1):131-136. doi: 10.4103/2230-8210.196007