Sanjay A. Nagdev, Omprakash Agrawal, Md. Rageeb Md. Usman
Sanjay A. Nagdev1*, Omprakash Agrawal2, Md. Rageeb Md. Usman3
1Ph.D Scholar, Department of Pharmacy, Madhyanchal Professional University, Bhopal (M.P).
2Professor, Department of Pharmacy, Madhyanchal Professional University, Bhopal (M.P).
3Associate Professor, Department of Pharmacognosy, Smt. S.S Patil College of Pharmacy, Chopda (M.S.).
Volume - 15,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2022
From the past three decades there are huge changes and developments in formulation technology. Innovations in drug delivery systems are not only associated with the development of novel dosage forms but also with the development of new formulations using existing drugs for the treatment. These innovations in delivery of drug have many advantages like better patient compliance, maintenance of steady state concentration of drug for the prolong period, reducing dosing frequency, drug targeting to desired site of action and low side effects. TDDS are designed for delivery of drugs across the skin and it provides both controlled and continuous administration drug. It terminates the pulsed entry of drug in systemic circulation due to which side effects are observed. This transdermal route of drug delivery has more benefits and convenience than oral route and enhances the safety and efficacy of drug; it is patient friendly and painless device that provides regulated, uniform administration and the continuous supply of drug to targeted site for treatment of various diseases.
Cite this article:
Sanjay A. Nagdev, Omprakash Agrawal, Md. Rageeb Md. Usman. Transdermal Drug Delivery System: An Overview. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(3):1371-7. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00229
Sanjay A. Nagdev, Omprakash Agrawal, Md. Rageeb Md. Usman. Transdermal Drug Delivery System: An Overview. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(3):1371-7. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00229 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-3-72
1. Gaur P, Mishra S, Purohit S, Dave K. Transdermal drug delivery system: a review. Asian Journal of Pharmaceuticals and clinical research. 2009; 2(1):14-20.
2. Latheeshjlal L, Phanitejaswini P, Soujanya Y, Swapna U, Sarika V, Moulika G. Transdermal drug delivery systems: An overview. Int J Pharmtech Res. 2011; 3: 2140-2148.
3. Rastogi V, Yadav P. Transdermal drug delivery system: An overview. Asian J Pharm 2012; 6: 161.
4. Lembhe S, Dev A. Transdermal drug delivery system: An overview. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016; 5: 584-610.
5. Brown M, Jones S. Hyaluronic Acid: A Unique Topical Vehicle for Localized Drug Delivery of Drugs to the Skin. Jedv. 2000; 19: 308-318.
6. McDaid D, Deasy P. An investigation into the transdermal delivery of nifedipine. Pharmaceutica Acta Helvetiae.1996; 71(4): 253-258.
7. Thacharodi D, Panduranga Rao K. Rate-controlling biopolymer membranes as transdermal delivery systems for nifedipine: development and in vitro evaluations. Biomaterials. 1996; 17(13):1307-1311.
8. Da-Ming W, Fung-Ching L, Li-Yen C, Juin-Yih L. Application of asymmetric TPX membranes to transdermal delivery of nitroglycerin. Journal of Controlled Release1998; 50(1):187-195.
9. Jonathan H, Michael W, Rainer B, Gunter C. Development of biphasic transdermal nitroglycerin delivery systems. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 1990; 64(2): 187-194.
10. GuptaA, Prajapati S, BhatiaD. Design and Development of a Proniosomal Transdermal Drug Delivery System for Captopril, Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical research. 2007; 6(2): 687-693.
11. Vlassios A, Mounir S, Fotios M. Design and evaluation of transdermal chlorpheniramine maleate drug delivery system. Pharmaceutica Acta Helvetiae.1995; 70(4): 301-306.
12. Guyot M, Faw F. Design and in vitro evaluation of adhesive matrix for transdermal delivery of propranolol. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2000; 204(1): 171-182.
13. Thacharodi D, Panduranga Rao K. Development and in vitro evaluation of chitosan-based transdermal drug delivery systems for the controlled delivery of propranolol hydrochloride. Biomaterials. 1995; 16(2): 145-148.
14. Roongnapa S, Chatchada B, Naruedom T, Chomchan A, Sanae K. Development of a reservoir-type transdermal enantio selective-controlled delivery system for racemic propranolol using a molecularly imprinted polymer composite membrane. Journal of Controlled Release. 2008; 129: 170–178.
15. Ammar H, Ghorab M. Design of a transdermal delivery system for aspirin as an antithrombotic drug. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2006; 327 (1): 81-88.
16. Silvia L, Torsten S, Lothar F, Jorg K. Determination of the physical state of norethindrone acetate containing transdermal drug delivery systems by isothermal microcalorimetry, X-ray diffraction, and optical microscopy. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics. 2004; 57(2) :383-395.
17. José M, Hiroshi H, Masatoshi K, Taiki S. Inducing effect of liposomalization on the transdermal delivery of hydrocortisone: Creation of a drug supersaturated state. Journal of Controlled Release. 2006; 115(1): 94-102.
18. Lashmar U, Manger J. Investigation into the potential for iontophoresis facilitated transdermal delivery of acyclovir. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 1994; 111(1) 6 :73-82.
19. Hans G, Dorothea V, Klaus H. A Randomized, Open, Parallel Group, Multicenter Trial to Investigate Analgesic Efficacy and Safety of a New Transdermal Fentanyl Patchnext term Compared to Standard Opioid Treatment in Cancer Pain. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 2008; 36(3) :268-279.
20. Zhao X, Li Y. Enhancement of transdermal delivery of theophylline using microemulsion vehicle. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2006; 327(1) : 58-64.
21. Senshang L, Howard H, Chien Y. Development of a new nicotine transdermal delivery system: in vitro kinetics studies and clinical pharmacokinetic evaluations in two ethnic groups. Journal of Controlled Release. 1993; 26 (3): 175-193.
22. Olivier J, Rabouan S, Couet W. In vitro comparative studies of two marketed transdermal nicotine delivery systems: Nicopatch® and Nicorette®. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2003; 252(1) :133-140.
23. Rania M, Timothy J, Samar M, Nahed D. Microemulsion formulations for the transdermal delivery of testosterone, European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2010; 40(3): 188-196.
24. Xiaoping Z, Guochun T, Sijing C, Zhenmin M. A new copolymer membrane controlling clonidine linear release in a transdermal drug delivery system. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2006 322(1): Pages 1-5.
25. Xiaoping Z, Guochun T, Sijing C, Zhenmin M. A new poly(2-hydroxy-3-phenoxypropylacrylate, 4-hydroxybutyl acrylate, diethyl maleate) membrane controlled clonidine linear release in the transdermal drug delivery system. European Polymer Journa. 2007; l 43:1588–1594.
26. Prevalence and Diagnosis of Postherpetic Neuralgia (PHN) Pain; Article acessed on 15th Nov 2020. http://www.medscape.com/infosite/lidoderm/article-1.
27. Sang W, Mee K, Juhee C, Duk L. Mental confusion associated with scopolamine patch in elderly with mild cognitive impairment (MCI). Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics. 2009; 49(2) : 204-207.
28. John T, Stewart S, Anita M. Evaluation of irritation and sensitisation of two 50 μg/day oestrogen patches. Maturitas. 2002; 43(4) : 257-263.
29. Xiaofen L, Cungang D, Qinghua G, Xiaojin Z, Zhen Z. Determination of norelgestromin in rabbit plasma by LC–MS/MS and its application to the pharmacokinetic study of ORTHO EVRA®. Journal of Chromatography B. 2009; 877(3):311-315.
30. Walters K, Brain K. Comparison of the transdermal delivery of estradiol from two gel formulations. Journal of the climacteric & postmenopause. 1998; 29(2): 189-195.
31. Guo-Shen C, Dae-Duk K, Chien Y. Dual-controlled transdermal delivery of levonorgestrel and estradiol: enhanced permeation and modulated delivery. Journal of Controlled Release. 1995; 34(2) : 129-143.
32. Huabing C, Xueling C, Ting W. A study of microemulsion systems for transdermal delivery of triptolide. Journal of Controlled Release.2004; 98(3) : 427-436.
33. Duk H, Yoon H, Kwang H. A case of rivastigmine toxicity caused by transdermal patch; The American Journal of Emergency Medicine.2011; 29(6):1-2.
34. Lvovich V, Matthews E, Riga A. AC electrokinetic platform for iontophoretic transdermal drug delivery. Journal of Controlled Release. 2010; 145(2): 134-140.
35. Mayorga P, Deharo E, Couarraze G. Interpretation and prediction of plasma levels of primaquine following transdermal delivery in Swiss mice. International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 1997; 155(1): 99-107.
36. Alfons S, Karl-Werner L, Hermann-Josef H. High compliance with rotigotine transdermal patch in the treatment of idiopathic Parkinson’s disease. Parkinsonism & Related Disorders. 2010; 16(8):513-516.
37. Warshaw E, Paller A, Fowler J.; Practical management of cutaneous reactions to the methylphenidate transdermal system: Recommendations from a dermatology expert panel consensus meeting. Clinical Therapeutics. 2008; 30(2) : 326-337.
38. Chi-Un P, Hyun-Kook L, Changsu H, Ajwani N, Chul L, Ashwin P. Selegiline transdermal system: Current awareness and promise. Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry. 2007; 31(6): 1153-1163.
39. Raza R, Mittal A, Kumar P, Alam S, Prakash S, Chauhan N. Approaches and evaluation of transdermal drug delivery system. Int J Drug Dev Res 2015; 7:222-33.
40. Patel D, Chaudhary S., Parmar B, Bhura N. Transdermal Drug Delivery System: A Review. The Pharma Innovation. 2012; 4: 2277-7795.
41. Chien Y. Novel Drug delivery system, Second Edition, Revised and Expanded, Informa Health Care.
42. Jain NK. Advances in Controlled and Novel Drug delivery, CBS Publications & distributors.
43. Asbill C, El-Kattan A, Michniak B. Enhancement of Transdermal Drug Delivery: Chemical and Physical Approaches. Crit Rev Ther Drug Carrier Syst. 2000; 17: 621-58.
44. Srivastava S, Maurya A, Gupta P. A review article on transdermal drug delivery system. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016; 5:1702-25.
45. Tyagi S, Goyal K. Transdermal drug delivery system: Quality approaches and evaluation. Innov Int J Med Pharm Sci 2017; 2:15-21.
46. Bhowmik D, Pusupoleti KR, Duraivel S, Kumar KS. Recent approaches in transdermal drug delivery system. Pharma Innov 2013; 2:99.
47. Sheth N, Mistry R. Formulation and evaluation of transdermal patches and to study permeation enhancement effect of eugenol. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science. 2011; 1(3) :96-101.
48. Monika B, Roy A. Transdermal drug delivery system with formulation and evaluation aspects: Overview. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2012; 5: 1168-1176.
49. Yadav V. Transdermal drug delivery system: Review. International journal of pharmaceutical sciences and research. 2012; 3: 8232-8234.
50. Ghulaxe C, Verma R. A review on transdermal drug delivery system. The Pharma Innovation Journal. 2015; 4(1):37-43.
51. Gupta V, Yadav S, Dwivedi A, Gupta N. Transdermal Drug Delivery: Post, Present, Future Trends. Int J Pharm Life Sci. 2011; 12: 1096- 1106.
52. Patel D, Kavitha K. Formulation and Evaluation Aspects of Transdermal Drug Delivery System, International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research. 2011; 6: 1-12.
53. Kumar A, Pullakandam N, Prabu S, Gopal V. Transdermal Drug Delivery System: An Overview. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research. 2009; 3 (2): 9-15.
54. Garima V. Transdermal Drug Delivery System, Advance Development and Evaluation-A Review. International journal of pharmaceutical sciences and research. 2017; 8(2): 385-400.
55. Budhathoki U, Thapa P. Effect of chemical enhancers on in vitro release of salbutamol sulfate from transdermal patches, Kathmandu University of Science Engineering and Technology. 2005, 1(1); 1-8.
56. Bathe R. Transdermal drug delivery system: Formulation, development and evaluation-An overview. Drug Deliv 2015; 6:7-12.
57. Keleb E, Sharma RK, Mosa EB, Aljahwi AA. Transdermal drug delivery system-design and evaluation. Int J Adv Pharm Sci 2010; 1:201-211.
58. Patel D, Chaudhary SA, Parmar B, Bhura N. Transdermal drug delivery system: A review. Pharma Innov 2012; 1: 78-87.
59. Wokovich AM, Prodduturi S, Doub WH, Hussain AS, Buhse LF. Transdermal drug delivery system (TDDS) adhesion as a critical safety, efficacy and quality attribute. Euro J Pharm Biopharm 2006; 64:1-8.
60. Guy RH, Hadgraft J, Bucks DA. Transdermal drug delivery and cutaneous metabolism. Xenobiotica 1987; 17:325-43.
61. Gorle A, Pawara I, Achaliya A. Design development and evaluation of transdermal drug delivery system of antipyretic agent. Int J Pharma Res Health Sci 2017; 5:1743-49.
62. Hardainiyan S, Kumar K. Design, Formulation and in vitro Drug Release from Transdermal Patches containing Nebivolol Hydrochloride as Model Drug. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2012; 2(4): 136-141.
63. Jatav V, Saggu J, Sharma S. Effect of Dimethyl Sulphoxides as Permeation Enhancer on Transdermal Patch of Nebivolol Hydrochloride. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2013; 3(1): 08-11.
64. Ismail H, Ravikumar N, Injamamul H, Mohibul H. Design and Evaluation of Transdermal Patches Containing Risperidone. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2016; 6(4): 208-222.
65. Vasavi G, Naga P, Chandrashekar B. Formulation Development and In vitro Evaluation of Transdermal Patches of Tramadol HCl. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2018; 8(3):123-129.
66. Nagadev C, Srinivasarao M, Venkatesh P. A Review on Transdermal Drug Delivery Systems. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2020; 10(2):109-114.
67. Patel N, Patel C, Vachhani S, Prajapati S. Recent Advances in Transdermal Drug Delivery System. Research J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech. 2010; 2(2):113-119.
68. Saikumar Y., Saikishore V., Pavani K., Sairam D.T., Sindhura A.Role of Penetration Enhancers in Transdermal Drug Delivery System. Research J. Pharma. Dosage Forms and Tech. 2012; 4(6): 300-308.
69. Sajid A, Maryam S, Nabeel S. The Structure of Skin and Transdermal Drug Delivery System- A Review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2015; 8(2): 103-109.
70. Bhairam M, Roy A, Bahadur S, Banafar A, Patel M, Turkane D. Transdermal Drug Delivery System with Formulation and Evaluation Aspects: Overview. Research J. Pharm. and Tech.2012; 5(9): 1168-1176.
71. Solanki S, Patel K, Patel J, Patel M, Patel J. Transdermal Drug Delivery Systems: A Review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech.2012; 5(6): 757-763.