Yasir S J. Alrubaye, Mohammed B. Mohammed, Haidar A. Abdulamir
Yasir S J. Alrubaye1, Mohammed B. Mohammed1, Haidar A. Abdulamir2*
1Assistant Lecturer, Department of Therapeutic and Clinical Pharmacy, Baghdad College of Medical Sciences, Baghdad – Iraq.
2Lecturer, College of Pharmacy, Al Maaqal University, Basra – Iraq.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2022
Breast cancer is responsible for the death of millions of women worldwide every year. It is widespread in the world and Iraq that become a genuine problem for public health. Several clinical, diagnostic and pathological techniques have been introduced to get early detection of breast tumors. The uses of current known tumors markers have many limitations. New technique for diagnosis of breast cancer involve detection of extracellular vesicles (EVs) exosomes and its phosphoproteins as a product of cancer cells which represent a non-invasive liquid biopsy that may replace the invasive surgical method.
Cite this article:
Yasir S J. Alrubaye, Mohammed B. Mohammed, Haidar A. Abdulamir. Exosome and Breast Cancer. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(3):1393-7. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00232
Yasir S J. Alrubaye, Mohammed B. Mohammed, Haidar A. Abdulamir. Exosome and Breast Cancer. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(3):1393-7. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00232 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-3-75
1. Arjun Patidar, S.C.Shivhare, Umesh Ateneriya, Sonu Choudhary. A Comprehensive Review on Breast Cancer. Asian J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2012;2(1): 28-32.
2. V. N. Dange, S. J. Shid, C.S. Magdum, S.K. Mohite. A Review on Breast cancer: An Overview. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2017; 7(1): 49-51.
3. Nidhi Hariramani, Sivaraman Jayanthi. A Systematic Review of Intrinsic Factors and its Influence in Breast Cancer. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(8): 3543-3546.
4. V. Jayashree, Malarkodi Velraj. Breast Cancer and various Prognostic Biomarkers for the diagnosis of the disease: A Review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(9): 3211-3216.
5. Akshay R. Yadav, Shrinivas K. Mohite. Cancer- A Silent Killer: An Overview. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2020; 10(3):213-216.
6. Majid RA, Hassan HA, Muhealdeen DN, Mohammed HA, Hughson MD. Breast cancer in Iraq is associated with a unimodally distributed predominance of luminal type B over luminal type A surrogates from young to old age. BMC Women's Health. 2017;17(1):27
7. GK Sudhakar, Vasudev Pai, Arvind Pai. An overview on current Strategies in Breast Cancer Therapy. Research J. Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2013; 5(6): 353-355 .
8. Sampoornam W. Nurse Researcher’s Role in Breast Cancer Biomarkers. Int. J. Adv. Nur. Management. 2014; 2(1): 46-47.
9. Makki J. Diversity of Breast Carcinoma: Histological Subtypes and Clinical Relevance. Clin Med Insights Pathol. 2015;8:23-31.
10. Raji Varughese, Shambhavi. Assessment of the Factors Associated with Breast Cancer Screening among Rural Women in Selected Villages, Mangalore. Int. J. Nur. Edu. and Research. 2015;3(2):218-223
11. Andrea Mary Francis, Ramya. R, Nalini Ganesan, Kumarasamy P, Solomon F. D Paul, Munirajan A. K, Roobini. J. Analysis of BRCA1 gene exon 2 mutation in breast cancer patients in a South Indian population . Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(10): 4592-4596.
12. Soung YH, Nguyen T, Cao H, Lee J, Chung J. Emerging roles of exosomes in cancer invasion and metastasis. BMB Reports. 2016;49(1):18.
13. Zhang ZG, Chopp M. Exosomes in stroke pathogenesis and therapy. J Clin Invest. 2016;126(4):1190-7.
14. Record M, Carayon K, Poirot M, Silvente-Poirot S. Exosomes as new vesicular lipid transporters involved in cell–cell communication and various pathophysiologies. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA)-Molecular and Cell Biology of Lipids. 2014;1841(1):108-20.
15. Mirzaei H, Sahebkar A, Jaafari MR, Goodarzi M, Mirzaei HR. Diagnostic and therapeutic potential of exosomes in cancer: the beginning of a new tale?. Journal of Cellular Physiology. 2017;232(12):3251-60
16. Zhang Y, Liu Y, Liu H, Tang WH. Exosomes: biogenesis, biologic function and clinical potential. Cell Biosci. 2019;9:19.
17. Van Niel G, D'Angelo G, Raposo G. Shedding light on the cell biology of extracellular vesicles. Nature reviews Molecular Cell Biology. 2018; 19(4): 213.
18. Greening DW, Xu R, Gopal SK, Rai A, Simpson RJ. Proteomic insights into extracellular vesicle biology–defining exosomes and shed microvesicles. Expert Review of Proteomics. 2017; 14(1):69-95.
19. Soung YH, Ford S, Zhang V, Chung J. Exosomes in cancer diagnostics. Cancers. 2017;9(1):8.
20. Huang H, Zheng X, Cai C, Yao Z, Lu S, Meng X, Miao Y, He Z, Cai C, Zou F. Exosomes derived from breast cancer lung metastasis subpopulations promote tumor self-seeding. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications. 2018; 503(1): 242-248.
21. Ferguson SW, Nguyen J. Exosomes as therapeutics: the implications of molecular composition and exosomal heterogeneity. Journal of Controlled Release. 2016; 228:179-90.
22. Li Q, Wang H, Peng H, Huyan T, Cacalano NA. Exosomes: Versatile Nano Mediators of Immune Regulation. Cancers (Basel). 2019;11(10):1557.
23. Keller S, Sanderson MP, Stoeck A, Altevogt P. Exosomes: from biogenesis and secretion to biological function. Immunology Letters. 2006;107(2):102-8.
24. Mathivanan S, Ji H, Simpson RJ. Exosomes: extracellular organelles important in intercellular communication. Journal of Proteomics. 2010;73(10):1907-20.
25. Huang-Doran I, Zhang CY, Vidal-Puig A. Extracellular vesicles: novel mediators of cell communication in metabolic disease. Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2017 1;28(1):3-18.
26. Kurywchak P, Tavormina J, Kalluri R. The emerging roles of exosomes in the modulation of immune responses in cancer. Genome Medicine. 2018;10(1):23.
27. Yáñez-Mó M, Siljander PR, Andreu Z, Zavec AB, Borràs FE, Buzas EI, et al. Biological properties of extracellular vesicles and their physiological functions. J Extracell Vesicles. 2015;4:27066.
28. Cocucci E, Meldolesi J. Ectosomes and exosomes: shedding the confusion between extracellular vesicles. Trends in Cell Biology. 2015; 25(6):364-72.
29. Kowal J, Tkach M, Thery C. Biogenesis and secretion of exosomes. Current Opinion in Cell Biology. 2014;29:116-25.
30. Maas SL, Breakefield XO, Weaver AM. Extracellular vesicles: unique intercellular delivery vehicles. Trends in Cell Biology. 2017;27(3):172-88.
31. Février B, Raposo G. Exosomes: endosomal-derived vesicles shipping extracellular messages. Current Opinion in Cell Biology. 2004;16(4):415-21.
32. Christ L, Raiborg C, Wenzel EM, Campsteijn C, Stenmark H. Cellular functions and molecular mechanisms of the ESCRT membrane-scission machinery. Trends in Biochemical Sciences. 2017; 42(1):42-56.
33. Frankel EB, Audhya A. ESCRT-dependent cargo sorting at multivesicular endosomes. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2018;74:4-10.
34. Reddy VS, Madala SK, Trinath J, Reddy GB. Extracellular small heat shock proteins: exosomal biogenesis and function. Cell Stress Chaperones. 2018;23(3):441-454.
35. Baranyai T, Herczeg K, Onódi Z, Voszka I, Módos K, Marton N, Nagy G, Mäger I, Wood MJ, El Andaloussi S, Pálinkás Z. Isolation of exosomes from blood plasma: qualitative and quantitative comparison of ultracentrifugation and size exclusion chromatography methods. PloS one. 2015; 10(12):e0145686.
36. Tauro BJ, Greening DW, Mathias RA, Ji H, Mathivanan S, Scott AM, Simpson RJ. Comparison of ultracentrifugation, density gradient separation, and immunoaffinity capture methods for isolating human colon cancer cell line LIM1863-derived exosomes. Methods. 2012; 56(2):293-304.
37. Enderle D, Spiel A, Coticchia CM, Berghoff E, Mueller R, Schlumpberger M, Sprenger-Haussels M, Shaffer JM, Lader E, Skog J, Noerholm M. Characterization of RNA from exosomes and other extracellular vesicles isolated by a novel spin column-based method. PloS One. 2015; 10(8): e0136133.
38. Sunkara V, Woo HK, Cho YK. Emerging techniques in the isolation and characterization of extracellular vesicles and their roles in cancer diagnostics and prognostics. Analyst. 2016;141(2):371-81
39. Daaboul GG, Gagni P, Benussi L, Bettotti P, Ciani M, Cretich M, Freedman DS, Ghidoni R, Ozkumur AY, Piotto C, Prosperi D. Digital detection of exosomes by interferometric imaging. Scientific Reports. 2016; 6:37246.
40. Van der Pol E, Coumans FA, Grootemaat AE, Gardiner C, Sargent IL, Harrison P, Sturk A, Van Leeuwen TG, Nieuwland R. Particle size distribution of exosomes and microvesicles determined by transmission electron microscopy, flow cytometry, nanoparticle tracking analysis, and resistive pulse sensing. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis. 2014;12(7):1182-92
41. Li W, Li C, Zhou T, Liu X, Liu X, Li X, Chen D. Role of exosomal proteins in cancer diagnosis. Molecular Cancer. 2017 Dec;16(1):145.
42. Duffy MJ. Tumor markers in clinical practice: a review focusing on common solid cancers. Medical Principles and Practice, 2013; 22(1):4-11.
43. Troyer DA, Mubiru J, Leach RJ, Naylor SL. Promise and challenge: markers of prostate cancer detection, diagnosis and prognosis. Disease Markers. 2004;20(2):117-28.
44. Holdenrieder S, Pagliaro L, Morgenstern D, Dayyani F. Clinically meaningful use of blood tumor markers in oncology. BioMed Research International. 2016;2016.
45. Kumar K, Jain P, Sinha A, Singh KK, Sharma HP. Clinical Significance of Tumour Markers. International Journal of Medical Research and Review. 2014;2(8):1005-15.].
46. Zocco D, Ferruzzi P, Cappello F, Kuo WP, Fais S. Extracellular vesicles as shuttles of tumor biomarkers and anti-tumor drugs. Frontiers in Oncology. 2014;4:267.
47. Kosaka N, Iguchi H, Ochiya T. Circulating microRNA in body fluid: a new potential biomarker for cancer diagnosis and prognosis. Cancer Science. 2010;101(10):2087-92.
48. Atay S, Wilkey DW, Milhem M, Merchant M, Godwin AK. Insights into the proteome of gastrointestinal stromal tumors-derived exosomes reveals new potential diagnostic biomarkers. Molecular and Cellular Proteomics. 2018; 17(3):495-515.
49. Perakis S, Speicher MR. Emerging concepts in liquid biopsies. BMC Med. 2017;15(1):75.
50. Etayash H, McGee AR, Kaur K, Thundat T. Nanomechanical sandwich assay for multiple cancer biomarkers in breast cancer cell-derived exosomes. Nanoscale. 2016; 8(33):15137-41.
51. Gangoda L, Liem M, Ang CS, Keerthikumar S, Adda CG, Parker BS, Mathivanan S. Proteomic profiling of exosomes secreted by breast cancer cells with varying metastatic potential. Proteomics. 2017; 17(23-24).
52. Vlassov AV, Magdaleno S, Setterquist R, Conrad R. Exosomes: current knowledge of their composition, biological functions, and diagnostic and therapeutic potentials. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA)-General Subjects. 2012;1820(7):940-8.
53. Nuzhat Z, Palma C, Rice GE, Joshi V, Salomon C. Exosomes in pancreatic juice as valuable source of biomarkers for early diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. Translational Cancer Research. 2017;6(8):S1339-51
54. Labgaa I, Villanueva A. Liquid biopsy in liver cancer. Discovery Medicine. 2015;19(105):263-73
55. Lennon NJ, Adalsteinsson VA, Gabriel SB. Technological considerations for genome-guided diagnosis and management of cancer. Genome Medicine. 2016;8(1):112.
56. Perakis S, Speicher MR. Emerging concepts in liquid biopsies. BMC Med. 2017;15(1):75.
57. Heitzer E, Perakis S, Geigl JB, Speicher MR. The potential of liquid biopsies for the early detection of cancer. NPJ Precision Oncology. 2017;1(1):36.
58. Boukouris S, Mathivanan S. Exosomes in bodily fluids are a highly stable resource of disease biomarkers. Proteomics–Clinical Applications. 2015; 9(3-4):358-67.
59. Chen IH, Xue L, Hsu CC, Paez JS, Pan L, Andaluz H, Wendt MK, Iliuk AB, Zhu JK, Tao WA. Phosphoproteins in extracellular vesicles as candidate markers for breast cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2017; 114(12): 3175-3180.
60. Lowry MC, Gallagher WM, O'Driscoll L. The role of exosomes in breast cancer. Clinical Chemistry. 2015; 61(12):1457-65.
61. Gartner ZJ, Prescher JA, Lavis LD. Unraveling cell-to-cell signaling networks with chemical biology. Nature Chemical Biology. 2017; 13(6): 564.
62. Masuda N, Lee SJ, Ohtani S, Im YH, Lee ES, Yokota I, Kuroi K, Im SA, Park BW, Kim SB, Yanagita Y. Adjuvant capecitabine for breast cancer after preoperative chemotherapy. New England Journal of Medicine. 2017; 376(22): 2147-59.
63. Crawford B, Adams SB, Sittler T, van den Akker J, Chan S, Leitner O, Ryan L, Gil E, van’t Veer L. Multi-gene panel testing for hereditary cancer predisposition in unsolved high-risk breast and ovarian cancer patients. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. 2017; 163(2):383-90.
64. Ohuchi N, Suzuki A, Sobue T, Kawai M, Yamamoto S, Zheng YF et al. Sensitivity and specificity of mammography and adjunctive ultrasonography to screen for breast cancer in the Japan Strategic Anti-cancer Randomized Trial (J-START): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2016; 387(10016): 341-348