There is a growing incidence of suicides in young people and it is now one of the leading causes of death among youth around the globe. The resulting trend of young avoidable deaths affects psychosocial and socio-economic factors worldwide requiring a renewed focus from a public mental health perspective. There is a need for insights and better understanding that can shed light on the risk factors that contributing to suicidal behaviour in youth. The purpose of this review is to provide an overview of the most important risk factors affecting young people during the latter part of childhood and adolescents and advancement in preventive and interventions. Review study is processed through scoping previous literature PubMed, CrossRef, Google Scholar, and PMC free articles ranging from 2010 to 2022. The overviewed evidences on suicidal risk among young youth\adolescents abled the researchers of this study to conceptualize and get insightful information’s suicidal risk amongst youth\adolescents in different perspectives, taking a background of socio-cultural, gender, age, mental disorders, personality traits, incidence of earlier suicide attempts, familial relationships, genetic, and neuropsychological factors which together produce an intolerable psychosocial distress in youth/adolescents that lead to suicidal behaviours. Further, analysis intellectualized with advancement in prevention and intervention that are helpful in reducing suicidal behaviours in this vulnerable group. It is only by straightening out the information and understanding suicidal behaviours with multifaceted interchangeable factors and walk hand in hand with advancement in prevention and interventions strategies that would reduce this behavioural malaise.
Cite this article:
Sheila Menon, Vidya Bhagat. The Review Study on Suicidal Risk among Youth/Adolescents, its Prevention and Interventions. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(3):1405-5. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00234
Sheila Menon, Vidya Bhagat. The Review Study on Suicidal Risk among Youth/Adolescents, its Prevention and Interventions. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(3):1405-5. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00234 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-3-77
1. Turecki G, Brent D. Suicide and Suicidal Behaviouir. Lancet (2016) 387:1227–39.
2. WHO Preventing Suicide: A Global Imperative Geneva: World Health Organisation; (2014).
3. WHO Global Health Observatory. Geneva: World Health Organisation; (2017).
4. Hawton K, Van Heeringen K. Suicide. Lancet (2009) 373:1372–81.
5. De Leo D. Can we rely on suicide morality data? Crisis (2015) 36:1–3.
6. Borges G, Nock MK, Haro Abad JM, Hwang I, Sampson NA, Alonso J, et al. . Twelve-month prevalence of and risk factors for suicide attempts in the World Health Organization World Mental Health Surveys. J Clin Psychiatry (2010) 71:1617–28.
7. Nock MK, Borges G, Bromet EJ, Alonso J, Angermeyer M, Beautrais A, et al. Cross-national prevalence and risk factors for suicidal ideation, plans and attempts. Br J Psychiatry (2008) 192:98–105.
8. WHO Mental Health Geneva: World Health Organisation; (2018).
9. Värnik P. Suicide in the World. Int J Environ Res Public Health (2012) 9:760–71.
10. WHO Global Health Observatory Adolescent Health. Geneva: Word Health Organisation; (2017).
11. Eurostat Statistics Explained. Being Young in Europe today. European Union (2017).
12. Furlong J. Education-An Anatomy of the Discipline: Rescuing the university project. Routledge; 2013 Sep 2.
13. Orbach I. Suicide prevention for adolescents. Suicide in children and adolescents. 2003 Aug 28:227-50.
14. Patton GC, Sawyer SM, Santelli JS, Ross DA, Afifi R, Allen NB, Arora M, Azzopardi P, Baldwin W, Bonell C, Kakuma R. Our future: a Lancet commission on adolescent health and wellbeing. The Lancet. 2016 Jun 11; 387(10036):2423-78.
15. Hawton K, Appleby L, Platt S, Foster T, Cooper J, Malmberg A, Simkin S. The psychological autopsy approach to studying suicide: a review of methodological issues. Journal of Affective Disorders. 1998 Sep.
16. Van Heeringen C. Understanding suicidal behaviour: The suicidal process approach to research, treatment and prevention. Wiley; 2001.
17. Gould MS. Suicide and the media. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 2001 Apr; 932(1):200-24.
18. Pelkonen M, Marttunen M. Child and adolescent suicide. Pediatric Drugs. 2003 Apr; 5(4):243-65.
19. Bridge JA, Goldstein TR, Brent DA. Adolescent suicide and suicidal behavior. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry. 2006 Mar; 47(3‐4):372-94.
20. Palmer BA, Pankratz VS, Bostwick JM. The lifetime risk of suicide in schizophrenia: a reexamination. Archives of general psychiatry. 2005 Mar 1; 62(3):247-53.
21. Reynolds P, Eaton P. Multiple attempters of suicide presenting at an emergency department. Can J Psychiatry. 1986; 31:328–30.
22. Hawton K, Fagg J. Suicide and other causes of death, following attempted suicide. Br J Psychiatry.1988; 152:359–66.
23. Cooper J, Kapur N, Webb R, Lawlor M, Guthrie E, Mackway-Jones K, Appleby L. Suicide after deliberate self-harm: a 4-year cohort study. American Journal of Psychiatry. 2005 Feb 1; 162(2):297-303.
24. Bilsen J. Suicide and youth: risk factors. Frontiers in Psychiatry. 2018 Oct 30; 9:540.
25. van Heeringen K. Stress-Diathesis Model of Suicidal Behavior. In: The Neurobiological Basis of Suicide. edn. Edited by Dwivedi Y. Boca Raton (FL); 2012.
26. Bi B, Liu W, Zhou D, Fu X, Qin X, Wu J. Personality traits and suicide attempts with and without psychiatric disorders: analysis of impulsivity and neuroticism. BMC Psychiatry. 2017 Dec; 17(1):1-9.
27. Kumar PN, Rajmohan V, Sushil K. An exploratory analysis of personality factors contributed to suicide attempts. Indian J Psychol Med. 2013;35(4):378–84.
28. Peters EM, et al. Mood instability and impulsivity as trait predictors of suicidal thoughts. Psychol Psychother. 2016; 89(4):435–44.
29. Rozanov VA, Mid'ko AA. Personality patterns of suicide attempters: gender differences in Ukraine. Span J Psychol. 2011; 14(2):693–700.
30. Roy A. Distal risk factors for suicidal behavior in alcoholics: replications and new findings. J Affect Disord. 2003; 77(3):267–71.
31. Nordstrom P, Schalling D, Asberg M. Temperamental vulnerability in attempted suicide. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1995; 92(2):155–60
32. Wiktorsson S, et al. Neuroticism and extroversion in suicide attempters aged 75 and above and a general population comparison group. Aging Ment Health. 2013; 17(4):479–88.
33. Pisetsky EM, et al. Depression and personality traits associated with emotion Dysregulation: correlates of suicide attempts in women with bulimia nervosa. Eur Eat Disord Rev. 2015; 23(6):537–44.
34. Apter A, Wasserman D. Adolescent attempted suicide. In: King R, Apter A. editors. Suicide in Children and Adolescents. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; (2006). pp. 63–85.
35. Gould MS, Shaffer D, Greenberg T. The epidemiology of youth suicide.
36. Brent DA, Mann JJ. Familial factors in adolescent suicidal behavior.
37. Portzky G, Audenaert K, van Heeringen K. Suicide among adolescents. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology. 2005 Nov; 40(11):922-30.
38. Bondy B. Buettner a, Zill P. Genetics of suicide. Mol Psychiatry. 2006 Apr; 11(4):336-51.
39. Agerbo E, Nordentoft M, Mortensen PB. Familial, psychiatric, and socioeconomic risk factors for suicide in young people: nested case-control study. BMJ. 2002 Jul 13; 325(7355):74.
40. Gould MS, Fisher P, Parides M, Flory M, Shaffer D. Psychosocial risk factors of child and adolescent completed suicide. Archives of General Psychiatry. 1996 Dec 1; 53(12):1155-62.
41. Im Y, Oh WO, Suk M. Risk factors for suicide ideation among adolescents: five-year national data analysis. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing. 2017 Jun 1; 31(3):282-6.
42. Spirito A, Esposito-Smythers C. Attempted and completed suicide in adolescence. Annu. Rev. Clin. Psychol. 2006 Apr 27; 2:237-66.
43. Amitai M, Apter A. Social aspects of suicidal behavior and prevention in early life: a review. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2012 Mar; 9(3):985-94.
44. Soole R, Kõlves K, De Leo D. Suicide in children: a systematic review. Archives of Suicide Research. 2015 Jul 3; 19(3):285-304.
45. Cheng AT, Chen TH, Chen CC, Jenkins R. Psychosocial and psychiatric risk factors for suicide: Case-control psychological autopsy study. The British Journal of Psychiatry. 2000 Oct; 177(4):360-5.
46. Klomek AB, Sourander A, Niemelä S, Kumpulainen K, Piha J, Tamminen T, Almqvist F, Gould MS. Childhood bullying behaviors as a risk for suicide attempts and completed suicides: a population-based birth cohort study. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 2009 Mar 1; 48(3):254-61.
47. Pirkis J, Mok K, Robinson J, Nordentoft M. Media influences on suicidal thoughts and behaviors. The International Handbook of Suicide Prevention. 2016 Sep 28:743-57.
48. O'Connor RC, Pirkis J, editors. The international handbook of suicide prevention. John Wiley and Sons; 2016 Oct 31.
49. Yip PS, Caine E, Yousuf S, Chang SS, Wu KC, Chen YY. Means restriction for suicide prevention. The Lancet. 2012 Jun 23; 379(9834):2393-9.
50. Florentine JB, Crane C. Suicide prevention by limiting access to methods: a review of theory and practice. Social science and medicine. 2010 May 1; 70(10):1626-32.
51. Biddle L, Donovan J, Hawton K, Kapur N, Gunnell D. Suicide and the internet. BMJ. 2008 Apr 10; 336(7648):800-2.
52. Dunlop SM, More E, Romer D. Where do youth learn about suicides on the Internet, and what influence does this have on suicidal ideation?. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry. 2011 Oct; 52(10):1073-80.
53. Calear AL, Christensen H, Freeman A, Fenton K, Busby Grant J, Van Spijker B, Donker T. A systematic review of psychosocial suicide prevention interventions for youth. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 2016 May; 25(5):467-82.
54. Heaney CA, Israel BA. Social support and social networks. Health behavior and health education: Theory, Research, and Practice. 2002; 3:185-209.
55. Stryker S. The vitalization of symbolic interactionism. Social Psychology Quarterly. 1987 Mar 1; 50(1):83-94.
56. Wiktorsson S, et al. Neuroticism and extroversion in suicide attempters aged 75 and above and a general population comparison group. Aging Ment Health. 2013; 17(4):479–88.
57. Pisetsky EM, et al. Depression and personality traits associated with emotion Dysregulation: correlates of suicide attempts in women with bulimia nervosa. Eur Eat Disord Rev. 2015; 23(6):537–44.
58. Luxton DD, June JD, Fairall JM. Social media and suicide: a public health perspective. American Journal of Public Health. 2012 May; 102(S2):S195-200.
59. Long K. Teacher Knowledge of Suicide Risk Factors in Delaware Comprehensive Technical High Schools (Doctoral dissertation, Wilmington University (Delaware)).
60. Ballard ED, Vande Voort JL, Luckenbaugh DA, Machado‐Vieira R, Tohen M, Zarate CA. Acute risk factors for suicide attempts and death: prospective findings from the STEP‐BD study. Bipolar Disorders. 2016 Jun; 18(4):363-72.
61. Gould MS, Greenberg TE, Velting DM, Shaffer D. Youth suicide risk and preventive interventions: a review of the past 10 years. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 2003 Apr 1; 42(4):386-405.
62. Eaton DK, Kann L, Kinchen S, Ross J, Hawkins J, Harris WA, Lowry R, McManus T, Chyen D, Shanklin S, Lim C. Youth risk behavior surveillance—United States, 2005. Journal of School Health. 2006 Sep; 76(7):353-72.
63. Grunbaum JA, Kann L, Kinchen S, Ross J, Hawkins J, Lowry R, Harris WA, McManus T, Chyen D, Collins J. Youth risk behavior surveillance--United States, 2003. Morbidity and mortality weekly report. Surveillance Summaries (Washington, DC: 2002). 2004 May 1; 53(2):1-96.
64. Austin SB, Ziyadeh NJ, Forman S, Prokop LA, Keliher A, Jacobs D. Peer reviewed: screening high school students for eating disorders: results of a national initiative. Preventing Chronic Disease. 2008 Oct; 5(4).
65. Greenfield B, Larson C, Hechtman L, Rousseau C, Platt R. A rapid-response outpatient model for reducing hospitalization rates among suicidal adolescents. Psychiatric Services. 2002 Dec; 53(12):1574-9.
66. Kerr DC, Preuss LJ, King CA. Suicidal adolescents' social support from family and peers: gender-specific associations with psychopathology. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology. 2006 Feb; 34(1):99-110.
67. Devita MA, Bellomo R, Hillman K, et al. Findings of the first consensus conference on medical emergency teams. Crit Care Med 2006; 34:2463.
68. Deykin EY, Hsieh CC, Joshi N, Mcnamarra JJ. Adolescent suicidal and self-destructive behavior: Results of an intervention study. Journal of Adolescent Health Care. 1986 Mar 1; 7(2):88-95.
69. Ivey-Stephenson et.al, Suicidal ideation and behaviours among high school students—Youth Risk Behaviour Survey, United States, 2019. MMWR Supplements. 2020 Aug 21; 69(1):47.
70. Donaldson D, Spirito A, Esposito-Smythers C. Treatment for adolescents following a suicide attempt: results of a pilot trial. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 2005 Feb 1; 44(2):113-20.
71. Brent D, Melhem N, Donohoe MB, Walker M. The incidence and course of depression in bereaved youth 21 months after the loss of a parent to suicide, accident, or sudden natural death. American Journal of Psychiatry. 2009 Jul; 166(7):786-94.
72. Wood A, Trainor G, Rothwell J, Moore AN, Harrington R. Randomized trial of group therapy for repeated deliberate self-harm in adolescents. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 2001 Nov 1; 40(11):1246-53.
73. McLeavey BC, Daly RJ, Ludgate JW, Murray CM. Interpersonal Problem‐Solving skills training in the treatment of self‐poisoning patients. Suicide and Life‐Threatening Behavior. 1994 Dec; 24(4):382-94.
74. Power R, Tate HL, McGill SM, Taylor C. A qualitative study of the psychosocial implications of lipodystrophy syndrome on HIV positive individuals. Sexually Transmitted Infections. 2003 Apr 1; 79(2):137-41.
75. Slee N, Garnefski N, van der Leeden R, Arensman E, Spinhoven P. Cognitive-behavioural intervention for self-harm: randomised controlled trial. The British Journal of Psychiatry. 2008 Mar; 192(3):202-11. 03 Aug; 37(4):414-20.
76. Greenfield B, Larson C, Hechtman L, Rousseau C, Platt R. A rapid-response outpatient model for reducing hospitalization rates among suicidal adolescents. Psychiatric Services. 2002 Dec; 53(12):1574-9.
77. Deykin EY, Hsieh CC, Joshi N, Mcnamarra JJ. Adolescent suicidal and self-destructive behaviour: Results of an intervention study. Journal of Adolescent Health Care. 1986 Mar 1; 7(2):88-95.
78. Daniel SS, Goldston DB. Interventions for suicidal youth: a review of the literature and developmental considerations. Suicide and Life-threatening Behaviour. 2009 Jun; 39(3):252-68.
79. Langhinricbsen-Rohling J, Monson CM, Meyer KA, Caster J, Sanders A. The associations among family-of-origin violence and young adults' current depressed, hopeless, suicidal, and life-threatening behaviour. Journal of Family Violence. 1998 Sep; 13(3):243-61.
80. Rotheram-Borus MJ, Piacentini J, Cantwell C, Belin TR, Song J. The 18-month impact of an emergency room intervention for adolescent female suicide attempters. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. 2000 Dec; 68(6):1081
81. Harrington R, Clark A. Prevention and early intervention for depression in adolescence and early adult life. European Archives of Psychiatry and Clinical Neuroscience. 1998 Mar; 248(1):32-45.
82. Esposito C, Spirito A, Boergers J, Donaldson D. Affective, behavioural, and cognitive functioning in adolescents with multiple suicide attempts. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behaviour. 2003 Dec 1; 33(4):389-99.
83. Bruce ML, Ten Have TR, Reynolds III CF, Katz II, Schulberg HC, Mulsant BH, Brown GK, McAvay GJ, Pearson JL, Alexopoulos GS. Reducing suicidal ideation and depressive symptoms in depressed older primary care patients: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2004 Mar 3; 291(9):1081-91.
84. Diamond GS, Wintersteen MB, Brown GK, Diamond GM, Gallop R, Shelef K, Levy S. Attachment-based family therapy for adolescents with suicidal ideation: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 2010 Feb 1; 49(2):122-31.
85. Langhinrichsen-Rohling J, Friend J, Powell A. Adolescent suicide, gender, and culture: A rate and risk factor analysis. Aggression and Violent Behavior. 2009 Sep 1; 14(5):402-14.
86. Arria AM, O'Grady KE, Caldeira KM, Vincent KB, Wilcox HC, Wish ED. Suicide ideation among college students: A multivariate analysis. Archives of suicide research. 2009 Jul 16; 13(3):230-46.
87. Cox GR, Robinson J, Williamson M, Lockley A, Cheung YT, Pirkis J. Suicide Clusters in Young People. Crisis. 2012.
88. Klerk D. The (cost) effectiveness of mindfulness training and cognitive behavioural therapy in adolescents and young adults with deliberate self-harm. Clinical Trials Registry, ongoing http://clinicaltrials. gov/ct2/show/NCT00694668. 2011.
89. Esposito-Smythers C, Spirito A, Kahler CW, Hunt J, Monti P. Treatment of co-occurring substance abuse and suicidality among adolescents: a randomized trial. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. 2011 Dec; 79(6):728.
90. Esposito‐Smythers C, Spirito A, Uth R, LaChance H. Cognitive behavioral treatment for suicidal alcohol abusing adolescents: Development and pilot testing. The American Journal on Addictions. 2006 Nov 12; 15:s126-30.
91. Rathus JH, Miller AL. Dialectical behaviour therapy adapted for suicidal adolescents. Suicide and Life-threatening Behavior. 2002 Jun 1; 32(2):146-57.
92. Henggeler SW, Schoenwald SK, Borduin CM, Rowland MD, Cunningham PB. Multisystemic therapy for antisocial behavior in children and adolescents. Guilford Press; 2009 Mar 3.
93. Huey Jr SJ, Henggeler SW, Rowland MD, Halliday-Boykins CA, Cunningham PB, Pickrel SG, Edwards J. Multisystemic therapy effects on attempted suicide by youths presenting psychiatric emergencies. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 2004 Feb 1; 43(2):183-90.
94. Cotgrove A, Zirinsky L, Black D, Weston D. Secondary prevention of attempted suicide in adolescence. Journal of Adolescence. 1995 Oct 1; 18(5):569-77.
95. Harrington R, Kerfoot M, Dyer E, McNiven FA, Gill J, Harrington V, Woodham A, Byford S. Randomized trial of a home-based family intervention for children who have deliberately poisoned themselves. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 1998 May 1; 37(5): 512-8.
96. Heaney CA, Israel BA. Social support and social networks. Health behaviour and health education: Theory, Research, and Practice. 2002; 3:185-209.
97. Katz-Sheiban B, Eshet Y. Facts and myths about suicide: A study of Jewish and Arab students in Israel. OMEGA-Journal of Death and Dying. 2008 Nov; 57(3):279-98.