Rohini Kharwade, Haripriya Nair, Dipali Masurkar, Ajay Pise, Sachin More, Shilpa Pise
Rohini Kharwade*, Haripriya Nair, Dipali Masurkar, Ajay Pise, Sachin More, Shilpa Pise
Dadasaheb Balpande College of Pharmacy, Besa, Nagpur, Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj, Nagpur University, Nagpur, (MS), India.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2022
Introduction: Chronomodulated pulsatile drug delivery system is basically time-controlled drug delivery system in which the release of drug in the body is allowed to match with circadian rhythm with controlled lag time. Aim and Objective: The objective of this work was to develop and evaluate oral pulsatile tablet of Pantoprazole sodium for the treatment of nocturnal hyperacidity. Pulsatile drug delivery system for Pantoprazole sodium was formulated initially as a core tablet followed by press coated. Five different compositions of the core tablet were prepared by using cross carmellose super disintegrant. Base on drug content and dissolution time F5 formulation optimised and proceeds for press coating. Five different compositions of press coating were prepared and evaluated for in vitro drug release. Result: The formulation C4 achieved a maximum of 99.65% cumulative drug release over a period of 3hr. 30 min. Lag time for C4 formulation was found to be 2 hr. It means that the system was found to be satisfactory in terms of drug release after a lag time. Conclusion: Since the developed formulation when taken at bedtime, the tablet would be expected to release the drug at midnight which provides better control with the nocturnal hyperacidity.
Cite this article:
Rohini Kharwade, Haripriya Nair, Dipali Masurkar, Ajay Pise, Sachin More, Shilpa Pise. Formulation and Evaluation of Chronomodulated Pulsatile Drug Delivery System for Nocturnal Hyperacidity. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(4):1449-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00240
Rohini Kharwade, Haripriya Nair, Dipali Masurkar, Ajay Pise, Sachin More, Shilpa Pise. Formulation and Evaluation of Chronomodulated Pulsatile Drug Delivery System for Nocturnal Hyperacidity. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(4):1449-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00240 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-4-6
1. Bisht R. Chronomodulated drug delivery system: A comprehensive review on the recent advances in a new sub-discipline of chronopharmaceutics. Asian J Pharm. 2011;5(1):1–8.
2. Singh N, Gill V, Gill P, Singh S. Chronopharmaceutical drug delivery system-a guided therapy. Int Res J Pharm Appl Sci. 2013;3(4):84–7.
3. Robinson M, Rodriguez-Stanley S, Ciociola AA, Filinto J, Zubaidi S, Miner PB, et al. Control of nocturnal gastric acidity: A role for low dose bedtime ranitidine to supplement daily omeprazole. Dig Dis Sci. 2002;47(2):265–73.
4. Timmakondu S. Chronomodulated delivery of Pantoprazole for nocturnal hyperacidity. Int J Pharm Sci Nanotech. 2015;8(4):3038–44.
5. Pensabene L, Davidson G. Proton pump inhibitors. Esophageal Gastric Disord Infancy Child. 2017;56(3):995–1013.
6. Jain D, Raturi R, Jain V, Bansal P, Singh R. Recent technologies in pulsatile drug delivery systems. Biomatter. 2011;1(1):57–65.
7. Aravind PM, Rathnanand M, Madhu Kumar C. Stability enhancement of proton pump inhibitor in stomach: Formulation and in vitro evaluation of stabilized proton pump inhibitor. Asian J Pharm Clin Res. 2017;10(5):88–92.
8. Kharwade RS, More SM, Mahajan UN. Formulation and evaluation of gastroretentive floating tablet using Hibiscus rosa-sinensis mucilage. Asian J Pharm Clin Res. 2017;10(3):444–8.
9. Anusha V, Shanthi G KD. Formulation and Evaluation of Chronomodulated Pulsatile Drug Delivery System of Salbutamol Sulphate. Int J Pharm Res Sch. 2014;5(1):671–7.
10. Ravichandiran V, Suba V, Senthilnathan B, Rajachandrika K, Padmapriya S, Saraswathy T, et al. Pulsatile drug delivery system. Biomed Pharmacol J. 2009;2(2):227–34.
11. Bhusnure OG, Gholve SB, Giram PS, Thonte SS, Kazi PA, Bhange MA. Role of Superdisintegratings in Fast Dissolving Tablets. Int J Pharm Pharm Res. 2015;4(2):263–81.
12. Garg AK, Kumar A, Rani S, Singh M, Sharma A, Kumar R. Formulation and evaluation of chronotherapeutic pulsatile drug delivery system containing rabeprazole sodium. J Appl Pharm Sci. 2017;7(2):093–100.
13. Arora S, Ali J, Ahuja A, Baboota S, Qureshi J. Pulsatile drug delivery systems: An approach for controlled drug delivery. Indian J Pharm Sci. 2006;68(3):295–300.
14. Jagdale SC, Suryawanshi VM, Pandya S V., Kuchekar BS, Chabukswar AR. Development of press-coated, floating-pulsatile drug delivery of lisinopril. Sci Pharm. 2014;82(2):423–40.
15. WHO. Guidelines for Stability Testing of Pharmaceutical Products Containing Well Established Drug Substances in Conventional Dosage Forms. World Heal Organ Tech Rep Ser. 1996;(863):65–80.
16. Kharwade RS, Mahajan NM. Formulation and Evaluation of Nanostructured Lipid Carriers Based Anti-Inflammatory Gel for Topical Drug Delivery System. Asian J Pharm Clin Res. 2019;12(4):286–91.
17. Rahman SM, Saha T, Masum ZU, Chowdhury JA. Evaluation of Physical Properties of Selected Excipients for Direct Compressible Tablet. Bangladesh Pharm J. 2017;20(1):34–8.
18. Rane AB, Gattani SG, Kadam VD, Tekade AR. Formulation and evaluation of press coated tablets for pulsatile drug delivery using hydrophilic and hydrophobic polymers. Chem Pharm Bull. 2009;57(11):1213–7.
19. Solunke RS, Khade GA, Deshmukh RV, Kore KJ. Development and evaluation of pantoprazole sodium floating gel. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(2): 682-6.
20. Putikam JK, Rao YN, Anjaneyulu V, Undralla VK, Formulation and evaluation of metoprolol succinate extended release tablet. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2012; 5(1):75-8.
21. Shriniwasa DS, Narayana CR, Satyanarayana DS. Formulation and in vitro comparative evaluation of orodispersible tablets of Pantoprazole. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2015; 8(10):1389-93.
22. Gangane PS, Ghughuskar SH, Mahapatra DK, Mahajan NM. Evaluating the role of Celosia argentea powder and fenugreek seed mucilage as natural super-disintegrating agents in gliclazide fast disintegrating tablets. Int J Curr Res Rev. 2020;12(17):101–8.
23. Patil S, Jagdale S, Kela S,Divekar S. Formulation andevaluation of xanthum gum based floating tablet of Tramadol. Int J Curr Res Rev. 2012;4(17):172–80.