Mohammed Sami Kadhim, Khalil Ismail A. Mohamed, Isam Hussain T. Al-Karkhi
Mohammed Sami Kadhim1, Khalil Ismail A. Mohamed2, Isam Hussain T. Al-Karkhi3
1Department of Basic Sciences, College of Dentistry, University of Baghdad, Baghdad, Iraq.
2Clinical Communicable Diseases Research, College of Medicine, University of Baghdad, Iraq.
3Former Assistant Prof. University of Baghdad, Iraq.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 6,
Year - 2022
Total Sialic Acid (TSA), Lipid Associated Sialic Acid (LASA), Total Protein (TP), and (TSA/TP) ratio values were determined in sera of 152 leukemic patients, 26 Hodgkin’s patients, 37 patients with non-cancer disease as (a pathological control) and 12 normal healthy individuals. Results analysis revealed a significant (P<0.001) increases in the mean (±SD) of (TSA) and (TSA/TP) values in sera of leukemia, Hodgkin’s patients compared with pathological control and normal healthy individuals. A moderated increase in the total protein (TP), values in all types of leukemia and Hodgkin’s patients compare with normal healthy (control). A significant increase in (LASA) (P<0.001) values in all types of leukemic and Hodgkin’s patients compared with pathological control of normal healthy individuals.
Cite this article:
Mohammed Sami Kadhim, Khalil Ismail A. Mohamed, Isam Hussain T. Al-Karkhi. Levels of Lipids Associated with Sialic Acids in Sera of Leukemic and Hodgkin’s patients. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(6):2650-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00443
Mohammed Sami Kadhim, Khalil Ismail A. Mohamed, Isam Hussain T. Al-Karkhi. Levels of Lipids Associated with Sialic Acids in Sera of Leukemic and Hodgkin’s patients. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(6):2650-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00443 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-6-47
1. Kumar K, Jain P, Sinha A, Singh KK, Sharma HP. Clinical Significance of Tumour Markers. American Journal of Phytomedicine and Clinical Therapeutics. 2014; 2(8): 1005-1015
2. Sreeramulu V, Ramana V. Evaluation of Serum Total and Lipid Associated Sialic Acid as a Tumor Marker in Breast Malignancy. Journal of Pharmacy and Biological Sciences. 2014; 9(2): 14-17
3. Durgawale P, Sontakke A, Shukla PS, Durgawale P, Chougule P. Alterations in Total Sialic Acid (TSA), Total Proteins (TP) and TSA/TP ratio in cancer patients. Biomedical Research. 2011; 22 (4): 492-494
4. Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ. Protein measurement with the folin phenol reagent. Biological Chemistry. 1951; 193: 265-275.
5. Katopodis N, Y Hirshaut Y, Geller NL, Stock CC. Lipid-associated Sialic Acid Test for the Detection of Human Cancer. Cancer Res. 1982; 42(12): 5270-5275.
6. Wilkinson LS. The System for Statistics, SYSTAT, Inc., Evanston 1990.
7. Juan-Carlos ME, Jose-Luis GS, Frausto-Reyes C. Detection of Leukemia with Blood Samples Using Raman Spectroscopy and Multivariate Analysis. 2009; DOI: 10.1063/1.3175637
8. Rasool M, Shahzad F, Arif M, Aysha S, et al. Assessment of circulating biochemical markers and antioxidative status in acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) and acute myeloid leukemia (AML) patients. Saudi J Biol Sci. 2015; 22(1): 106–111. doi: 10.1016/j.sjbs.2014.09.002
9. Elbossaty WFM. Lactate Dehydrogenase (LDH) as Prognostic Marker in Acute Leukemia "Quantitative Method". J Blood Disord Transfus. 2017; 8(1): 375. DOI:10.4172/2155-9864.1000375
10. Stowell SR, Tongzhong Ju, Cummings RD. Protein Glycosylation in Cancer. Annu Rev Pathol. 2015; 10: 473-510. doi: 10.1146/annurev-pathol-012414-040438
11. Plucinsky MC, Riley WM, Prorok JJ, Alhadeff JA. Total and Lipid-Associated Serum Sialic Acid Levels in Cancer Patients with Different Primary Sites and Differing Degrees of Metastatic Involvement. Cancer. 1986; 58(12):2680-5.
12. Challa VR, Goud YGB, Rangappa P, Deshmane V, et al. Ovarian Metastases from Colorectal Cancer: Our Experience. Indian J Surg Oncol. 2015; 6(2): 95–98. doi: 10.1007/s13193-014-0369-5
13. Gao J, Gong Sh, Chen YH. Myeloid Neoplasm with Germline Predisposition: A 2016 Update for Pathologists. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2019: 143(1): 13-22. doi: 10.5858/arpa.2017-0194-RA.
14. Schutter EM, Visser JJ, Van-Kamp GJ, Mensdorff-Pouilly S, et al. The Utility of Lipid-Associated Sialic Acid (LASA or LSA) as a Serum Marker for Malignancy. A Review of the Literature. Tumour Biol 1992; 13(3): 121-132. doi: 10.1159/000217755.
15. Zhang Z, Wuhrer M, Holst S. Serum Sialylation Changes in Cancer. Glycoconj J. 2018; 35(2): 139-160. doi: 10.1007/s10719-018-9820-0.