Zina F.H. Al-Obaidi, Zahraa Ahmed Okhti
Zina F.H. Al-Obaidi1, Zahraa Ahmed Okhti2
1Department of Medical and Molecular Biotechnology, College of Biotechnology, Al-Nahrain University, Baghdad, Iraq.
2Department of Clinical Laboratory Sciences, College of Pharmacy, Mustansiriyah University, Baghdad, Iraq.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 7,
Year - 2022
Medicinal plants, have been revealed and used in conventional therapy applies as primeval periods. Plants synthesized many chemicals to be act against insects, fungal infection, different diseases and bacteria. Where the singular plant comprises broadly diverse phytochemicals, but some time these effects may be uncertain. Plantago lanceolata one of the important medicinal plant due to numerous phytochemicals with potential pharmacological actions such as mucilage, glycosides, tannins, minerals such as silica, zinc, potassium etc. This study aimed to evaluate the capacity of P. lanceolate to modulate and counteract any damaged induced by methotrexate drug on testis and spleen of albino male mice for that four mice groups were used in study: group I, mice treated with 400 mg\kg of aqueous plant extract, group II, mice administrated with methotrexate drug at a dose of 40mg\kg group III an interaction group between drug and plant. The results indicated the P.laceolata to repair any abnormality and reduce the toxicity of drug and all these activity due to tannin, alkaloid, flavonoid and caffeic acid contents.
Cite this article:
Zina F.H. Al-Obaidi, Zahraa Ahmed Okhti. Histological effect of Plantago lanceolata on different Mice Organs. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022;15(7):3241-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00543
Zina F.H. Al-Obaidi, Zahraa Ahmed Okhti. Histological effect of Plantago lanceolata on different Mice Organs. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022;15(7):3241-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00543 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-7-65
1. Al-Ezzy, R.M., Abood, K.W., Abdullah, J.M. and Rdeef, A.K. Evaluation of Sperm Head Abnormality Traits and Anti-bacterial Properties of Achillea millefolium Methanolic Extract on Methotrexate- induced Albino Male Mice IJDDT.2019, 9 (3).
2. Hammami S., Debbabi, H., Jlassi, I., Joshi, R. K., and El Mokni, R. Chemical composition and antimicrobial activity of essential oil from the aerial parts of Plantago afra L.(Plantaginaceae) growing wild in Tunisia. South African Journal of Botany, 2020 132: 410-414. DOI:10.1016/j.sajb.2020.05.012
3. Abajy, M. Y., Nayal, R., and Takla, S. Investigation of the Effect of Potentilla erecta and Plantago lanceolata on Bleeding Time in Mice. Res. J of Aleppo univ, Medicine Sience Series. 2015
4. Bahadori, M. B., Sarikurkcu, C., Kocak, M. S., Calapoglu, M., Uren, M. C., and Ceylan, O. Plantago lanceolata as a source of health-beneficial phytochemicals: Phenolics profile and antioxidant capacity. Food Bioscience.2020, 34: 100536. doi.org/10.1016/j.fbio.2020.100536
5. Oliva, A. I., Monleon, G. A., Rada, F. D. J. D., Oteiza, L. L., Rodriguez, G. S., Garromendiola, G. J. K., and Martin, V. J. A pilot study of efficacy and safety of Plantago lanceolata and Primula veris, in the treatment of the common cold. Archives of Pharmacy Practice.2020, 11(3): 1-7.
6. Khan, F. A., Bhat, S. A., and Narayan, S. Wild edible plants as a food resources: Traditional knowledge. Division of post-harvest technology sher_e_Kashmir 2017 university of Agricultural sciences and technology of Kashmir. India.
7. Díez, R., García, J. J., Diez, M. J., Sierra, M., Sahagun, A. M., and Fernández, N. Influence of Plantago ovata husk (dietary fiber) on the bioavailability and other pharmacokinetic parameters of metformin in diabetic rabbits. Biomedcentral complementary and alternative medicine.2017, 17(1): 298. doi.org/10.1186/s12906-017-1809-x
8. Shailesh Sharma, Sudhir Bharadwaj, G. D. Gupta. Fast Dissolving Tablets of Promethazine Theoclate by Using Natural Superdisintegrants. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 1(3): 2008; 218-224.
9. Girish kumar, R. K. Khar, Tarun Virmani, Vikash Jogpal, Reshu Virmani. Comparative Evaluation of Fast Dissolving Tablet of Atorvastatin Calcium using Natural and Synthetic Super Disintegrating Agents. Research J. Pharm. and Tech 2018; 11(11): 5001-5007. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00912.5
10. Velasco-Lezama, R., Tapia-Aguilar, R., Román-Ramos, R., Vega-Avila, E., and Pérez-Gutiérrez, M. S. Effect of Plantago major on cell proliferation in vitro. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 2006;,103(1), 36-42. doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2005.05.050
11. Rios, J. L., Recio, M. C., and Villar, A. Screening methods for natural products with antimicrobial activity: a review of the literature. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 1988,;23(2-3), 127-149. doi.org/10.1016/0378-8741(88)90001-3
12. Niran A. Ibrahim, Hanady S. Al-Shmgani, Ruqaya MI Al-ezzy. Cytarabine induced reproductive histopathological changes in albino male mice. Journal of Biotechnology Research Center. 2017;11(1):6-12. doi.org/10.24126/jobrc.2017.11.1.489
13. Shanmuga Sundaram C., Subramanian S. Biochemical Evaluation of Hypoglycemic Activity of Musa paradisiaca (Plantain) Flowers in STZ- induced Experimental Diabetes in Rats. Asian J. Research Chem. 2011;4(5):827-833.
14. T. Sheela Rani, V. Gopal, S. Seethalakshmi, K. Chitra. Quantification and Screening of Phytoconstituents in Selected Medicinal Plant. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2013; 6(11): 1235-1236. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X
15. Sirisha, N., et al. A Review on Herbal Diuretics. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 2011; 4(3): 335-348.
16. Abdalah M.E., Al-Ezzy R.M., Okhti Z.A Protective role of Viola odorata against hepatotoxicity induced by methotrexate in albino male mice . J. Pharm. Sci. & Res.2018;10(11): 2775-2785.
17. SILVEIRA, Dâmaris, et al. COVID-19: is there evidence for the use of herbal medicines as adjuvant symptomatic therapy?. Frontiers in Pharmacology, 2020, 11: 1479.doi.org/10.3389/fphar.2020.581840
18. Ishiguro, K.; Yamaki, M.;TAKAGI, S. Studies on the iridoid related compounds. I. On the antimicrobial activity of aucubigenin and certain iridoid aglycones. Yakugaku zasshi: Journal of the Pharmaceutical Society of Japan, 1982;102.8: 755-759. DOI: 10.1248/yakushi1947.102.8_755
19. Saradhai, P., et al. Effect of Tannins of Herpestis monneira against Selective UTI Pathogens. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 2010; 3.3: 832-834.
20. RANI, T. Sheela, et al. Quantification and Screening of Phytoconstituents in Selected Medicinal Plant. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 2013; 6.11: 1235-1236.
21. Krishnamoorthy, B. S., Et Al. Preliminary Studies on Phytochemicals of Solvent Extracts of Eichhornia Crassipes. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 2014; 7.6: 635-637.
22. Yadav, Himshikha; KUMAR, Sushil. An Assessment of Cytotoxic Potentiality of Plantago ovata Husk Aqueous Suspension on the Root Meristem Cells of Vicia faba L. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 2017; 10.7: 2053-2057. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2017.00358.4
23. Suresh, Preeti K.; SAH, Abhishek K.; DAHARWAL, Sanjay J. Role of free radicals in ocular diseases: An overview. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 2014, 7.11: 1330-1344.
24. Preeti Tiwari. Phenolics and Flavonoids and Antioxidant Potential of Balarishta Prepared by Traditional and Modern Methods. Asian J. Pharm. Ana.2014; 4(1): 05-10.
25. Budzianowska, Anna; Budzianowski, Jaromir. A New Flavonoid, A New Phenylethanoid Glycoside and Related Compounds Isolated From The Inflorescences Of Plantago Lanceolata L. Natural Product Research, 2021, 1-12. DOI: 10.1080/14786419.2021.1888289
26. Ibraheema R.M., Abbood K.W., Ad'hiah A.H Anti-inflammatory Effects of Hypericum triquetrifolium Turra Methanol Extract in Albino Male Mice. Journal of Ethnobiology and Traditional Medicine2015,(125):1039-1045.
27. Al-Ezzy, R.M. Immunological and Cytogenic Effect of Saga (Salivia officinalis) Leaves Extracts on Albino Male Mice and Acute Lymphoid Leukemic Cells. M.Sc. Thesis. Al-Nahrain University /college of science.2007
28. Ali, Akram A.; Al-Homaidan, Ali A. Removal Of Lead Ions From Polluted Water Using Plantago Major L. And Phaseolus Vulgaris L. Aust J Basic Appl Sci, 2007, 1.4: 467.
29. Al-Ezzy, R.M., Mhawesh, A,A. and Abbood K.W . Estimation of the whole flavonoid, antioxidant, antibacterial challenge concerning viola odorata (banafsha) methanolic extract. Iraqi Journal of Agricultural Sciences –1027:49(4): 2018566- 551. DOI: https://doi.org/10.36103/ijas.v49i4
30. AlChalabi, R., R. Mohammed, R. Adnan, and S. H. Al-Bayati. The Antibacterial Effect of Ethanolic Extract of Allium Sativum on Biofilm Forming Staphylococcus Aureus Which Cause folliculitis. Int. J. Adv. Res. 5(5): 2017 1175-1182. DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/4228