Amit Chaudhary, Shivalika, Bhupendra Tomar, Kapil Kumar Verma
Amit Chaudhary1, Shivalika1*, Bhupendra Tomar2, Kapil Kumar Verma3
1School of Pharmacy, Abhilashi University, Chail Chowk, Mandi, HP-175028, India.
2Abhilashi College of Pharmacy, Nerchowk, Mandi, HP-175008, India.
3Minerva College of Pharmacy, Indora, Kangra HP- 176402, India.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 7,
Year - 2022
The opthalmic nanoemulsion drug delivery system is novel and advanced modes of drug delivery system. Nanoemulsions are oil in water type of emulsion and water in oil type of emulsion. The diameter of the drops range are 50 -1000nm (109m). The droplet size average range between 100-500nm. It is a part of widespread class of colloidal dispersion of multiphase. Nanoemulsions are accessible to formulate and upscale, and they appear high volatility in their constituents. They have turn out very feasible, cost effective, and non- invasive nanocarriers for intensify opthalmic delivery of a wide range of active compounds that influence to metabolize heavily or suffer from undesirable side effect when taken orally. In addition, the anti-viral and antimicrobial properties of nanoemulsion components, prominent to preservative free formulation, develop nanoemulsion very enticing path for ocular drug delivery. Thus the aim of this article is spotlight on nanoemulsion, various methods of preparation, characterization techniques, Also focus the mechanisms and strategies accomplished to effectively deliver drugs, both oil and water and water in oil nanoemulsion types, via the ocular way. The methods will be used to prepare for nanoemulsion are high energy method such as: high pressure Homoginization, Ultrasonication, Microfluidization. Evaluation parameters will be include particle size analysis, rheological measurement, refractive index, surface tension, viscosity, therapeutic efficacy study, in vitro release study and ocular irritation study respectively.
Cite this article:
Amit Chaudhary, Shivalika, Bhupendra Tomar, Kapil Kumar Verma. Role of Nanoemulsion as Drugs Delivery Systems in Opthalmology: A Comprehensive Review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(7):3285-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00551
Amit Chaudhary, Shivalika, Bhupendra Tomar, Kapil Kumar Verma. Role of Nanoemulsion as Drugs Delivery Systems in Opthalmology: A Comprehensive Review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(7):3285-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00551 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-7-73
1. Simonazzi A. Cid G A. Villegas M. Romero I A. Palma D S. Bermudez J. M. Drug targeting and stimuli sensitive drug delivery systems. Science Direct. 2018; 81-116. doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-813689-8.00003-3.
2. Kadakia E. Shah L. Amiji M M. Mathematical modeling and experimental validation of nanoemulsion-based drug transport across cellular barriers. HSS Public Access. 2017; 34: 1416–1427. doi:10.1007/s11095-017-2158-7
3. Ahmad G. Gattacecca F, Sadda EI, Botchkina G et al. Biodistribution and Pharmacokinetic Evaluations of a Novel Taxoid DHA-SBT-1214 in an Oil-in-Water Nanoemulsion Formulation in Naïve and Tumor-Bearing Mice. Pharm Res 35, 91 (2018). doi.org/10.1007/s11095-018-2349-x
4. Suyal J. Nanoemulsion a novel approach in various pharmaceutical applications. Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Bio scientific Research. 2017; 7: 153-157.
5. Iwunze. O. Maurice. The determination of the physico-chemical properties of nanoemulsion. Journal of Materials Science and Engineering. 2017; 7:19-24. doi.10.17265/2161-6213/2017.1-2.003.
6. Ali A. Ansari A. V. Ahmad U. Nanoemulsion an advanced vehicle for efficient drug delivery. Publons. 2017; 67: 617-631. doi.10.1055/s-0043-115124
7. Thakur N. Garg G. Sharma P.K. Kumar N. Nanoemulsions a review on various pharmaceutical applications. Global Journal of Pharmacology.2012;6:222 225.doi.10.5829/I doi.gjp.2012.6.3.65135
8. Gupta A. Burak E. H. Hatton A. T. Nanoemulsions formation properties and applications. Royal society of chemistry. 2016; 12: 2826-2841. doi. 10.1039/c5sm02958a
9. Chellapa P. Mohamed T. A. Keleb I. E. Elmahgoubi A. nanoemulsion and nanoemulgel as a topical formulation. IOSR Journal of Pharmacy. 2015; 2319-4219: 43-47.
10. Chauhan L. B. Patil A. V. Khutle M. N. nanoemulsion system for topical delivery of tretinoin. Pharmaceutical Science. 2015; 4:64-80.
11. Sun H.W. Wei C. Liu S. B. Jing H. et al. Induction of systemic and mucosal immunity against methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection by a novel nanoemulsion adjuvant vaccine. International Journal of Nanomedicine. 2015; 10: 7275–7290. doi.10.2147/IJN.S91529
12. Jaiswal M. Dudhe. Sharma P. K. Nanoemulsion an advanced mode of drug delivery system. 3 Biotech. 2015; 5: 123–127. doi.org/10.1007/s13205-014-0214-0
13. Patil H. Waghmare J. Nanoemulsion Current state and perspectives. Research Journal Topical and Cosmetic Science. 2013; 4(1): 32-40.
14. J. Tortora. Derrickson B. Anatomy and physiology. Book. 2014; 534.
15. Lawrence M.J Rees G.D. Microemulsion based media as novel drug delivery systems. Advance Drug Delivery Review 2000; 45: 89–121. doi.org/10.1016/S0169-409X(00)00103-4
16. Valenta. C. Schultz. Influence of carrageenan on the rheology and skin permeation of microemulsion formulations. Journal of Control Release. 2004; 95: 257–265. doi.org/10.1016/j.jconrel.2003.11.020
17. Singh R. Chakravorty A. Kumar P. Chaturvedi A. A nanoemulsion an effective therapy for transdermal drug delivery. Research Journal of Biology. 2013; 3: 33–38.
18. Roberts M.S. Targeted drug delivery to the skin and deeper tissues role of physiology. Solute structure and disease. Pubmed. 1997; 24:874–879. doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1681.1997.tb02708.x
19. Ng. K.W, Lau. W.M. Skin deep the basics of human skin structure and drug penetration In percutaneous penetration enhancers chemical methods in penetration enhancement drug manipulation strategies and vehicle effect. Springer. 2015; 3–11. doi.org/10.1007/978-3-662-45013-0_1
20. Shaker. D.S. Ghanem, A.H. Li. S.K.Warner. K.S. Hashem. F.M. Higuchi. W.I. Mechanistic. Studies of the effect of hydroxypropyl cyclodextrins on in vitro transdermal permeation of corticosterone through hairless mouse skin. International Journal Pharmacy. 2003; 253:1–11. doi.10.4103/jphi.JPHI_35_16
21. Shakeel F. Baboota S. Ahuja A. et al. Skin permeation mechanism and bioavailability enhancement of celecoxib from transdermally applied nanoemulsion. J Nanobiotechnol 6, 8 (2008). doi.org/10.1186/1477-3155-6-8.
22. Aldrich S. D. Ynthia M.C. Ophthalmic preparations. USP Stimuli. 2013; 39:1- 21.
23. Khan W. Vaseem A. V and Hussain Z. self-nano emulsifying drug delivery system (SNEEDS) for Ocular administration. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13(11):5576-5582. doi.10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00973.7
24. Barakat. N. Fouad. E. Elmedany. A formulation design of indomethacin-loaded nanoemulsion for transdermal delivery. Pharmaceutica Analytica Acta 2011; 2: 1–8. doi. 10.4172/2153-2435.S2-002
25. Scheuplein R.J. Mechanism of percutaneous absorption II. Transient diffusion and the relative importance of various routes of skin penetration. Pubmed. 1967; 48: 79–88.
26. Shrestha H. Bala R. Aorta S. Lipid-based drug delivery systems. Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2014; 801-820. doi.org/10.1155/2014/801820
27. Kawakami K. Yoshikawa T. Moroto Y. Kanaoka E. Microemulsion formulation for enhanced absorption of poorly soluble drugs I. Prescription design. Pubmed 2002; 81: 65–74. doi.org/10.1016/S0168-3659(02)00049-4
28. Jadhav P R. Koli W K. Kamble B A. Dr. Bhutkar A M. A Review on Nanoemulsion. Asian Journal of Research Pharmaceutical. 2020; 10: 103-108. doi.10.5958/2231-5659.2020.00020.X
29. Shakeel F. Ramadan W. Transdermal delivery of anticancer drug caffeine from water-in-oil Nanoemulsions. Pubmed. 2010; 75:356–362. doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfb.2009.09.010
30. Thakur A. Walia K. M. Nanoemulsion in enhancement of bioavailability of poorly soluble drugs. Pharmacophore. 2013; 4:15-25.
31. Kumar M. Bishnoi S. R. Techniques for formulation of nanoemulsion drug delivery system. Preventive Nutrition and Food Science. 2019; 24:225-234. doi.10.3746/pnf.2019.24.3.225
32. VV Halnor. VVPande. A novel platform for drug delivery system. Research Gate 2018; 6:2348-9812.
33. Gursoy RN and Benita S. Self-emulsifying drug delivery systems for improved oral delivery of lipophilic drugs. Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy. 2004; 58:173-182. doi.org/10.1016/j.biopha.2004.02.001
34. Jumaa M. Mueller B. W. Formulation and stability of benzodiazepines in a new lipid emulsion formulation. Pubmed. 2002; 57:740-743.
35. Benson H. Transdermal drug delivery penetration enhancement techniques. Current. Drug Delivery. 2005; 2:23–33. doi.org/10.2174/1567201052772915
36. Uma KS. Alagusundaram M. Sahithi G K. Chetty CMS. Ramkanth S. Angalaparameswari S. Saleem TSM. Nanoemulsions Approaching Thermodynamic Stability. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2010; 3(2):391-326.
37. Gupta A. Eral B.H. Hatton A. T. Doyle S. P. Nanoemulsions formation, properties and applications. Soft Matter. 2016; 12: 2826–2841. doi.10.1039/C5SM02958A
38. Majeed A. Bashir R. Preparation, characterization and applications of nanoemulsion. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2019; 9:520-527. doi.org/10.22270/jddt.v9i2.2410
39. Kale SN. Deore SL. Emulsion micro emulsion and nano emulsion. Sys Rev Pharm 2017; 8: 39-47. doi.10.5530/srp.2017.1.8
40. Mishra RK, Soni GC. Mishra R. Nanoemulsion a novel drug delivery tool. International journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Research. 2014; 3: 32-43.
41. Porter C.J.H. Pouton C.W. Cuine C.F Charman W. Enhancing intestinal drug Solubilization using lipid-based delivery systems. Pubmed. 2008; 60:673-691. doi.org/10.1016/j.addr.2007.10.014
42. Ahmed AA. Dr. Dash S. Application of Novel Nanoemulsion in Drug Targeting. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2017; 10(8):2809-2818. doi.10.5958/0974-360X.2017.00497.8
43. Mathialagan V. Sugumaran A. Narayanaswamy D. Nanoemulsion importance in pharmaceutical nanotechnology. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13(4):2005-2010. doi.10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00361.3
44. Chakraborty S. Shukla D. Mishra. Singh S. Lipid-an emerging platform for oral delivery of drugs with poor bioavailability. Pubmed. 2009; 73:1-15. doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpb.2009.06.001
45. Gradzielski M. Effect of the Cosurfactants structure on the bending elasticity in nonionic oil-in-water microemulsions. Langmuir. 1998; 14: 6037–6044. doi.org/10.1021/la980074c
46. Stilbs P. Fourier transforms NMR pulsed-gradient spin-echo (FT-PGSE) self-diffusion measurements of Solubilization equilibria in SDS solutions. Journal of Colloid International Science. 1982; 87: 385–394. doi.org/10.1016/0021-9797(82)90335-6
47. Ling. Y. Yu. Guo M. Li F. N. T An Synergistic effect of mixed Cosurfactants on transdermal delivery of indomethacin from O/W microemulsion. Chemical Research in Chinese University. 2013; 29: 338–343. doi.10.1007/S40242-013-2189-5
48. Ali A and Ahmad U. Nanoemulsion as a vehicle in transdermal drug delivery. Insight of biomedicine. 2018; 3:3-15. Doi.10.21767/2572-5610.100050
49. Ghotbi S. R. Khatibzadeh M. Kordbacheh S. Preparation of neem seed oil nanoemulsion department of polymer engineering and color technology. Czech Republic. 2014; 150.
50. Azeem A. Rizwa. Farhan. Nanoemulsion components screening and selection a technical note. American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists. 2009; 10:69–76. doi.org/10.1208/s12249-008-9178-x
51. Bouchemal. Briançon K. Perrier S. Fessi E.Nano-emulsion formulation using spontaneous emulsification Solvent, oil and surfactant optimization. International Journal of Pharmacy. 2004; 280: 241–251. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpharm.2004.05.016
52. Suyal J. Ganesh B. An introductory review article on nanoemulsion. Journal of Pharmacy Science 2017; 2: 35–40.
53. Montes D. O. Candal J.M. Herrera R.J. Nanoemulsions stability and physical properties. Current Opinion Food Science. 2017; 16:1–6.
54. Sharma. N. Bansal. M. Visht. S. Sharma. P. Kulkarni. Nanoemulsion A new concept of delivery system. Chron Young Science. 2010; 1: 2–6.
55. Rachmawati H. Yee C. W. Rahma A. formulation of tablet containing curcumin nanoemulsion. International Journal of Pharmacy. 2017; 6:8.
56. Hiren C. Parmar G. Seth A.K. formulation and evaluation of o/w nanoemulsion of ketoconazole. International Journal of Pharmacy Science. 2013; 4:338-351.
57. Mishra R. K. Soni G. C. Mishra R. Nanoemulsion a novel drug delivery tool. International Journal of Pharmacy Research and Review. 2014; 3:32-43.
58. Kadakia E. Shah L. Mansoor. Mathematical modeling and experimental validation of nanoemulsion-based drug transport across cellular barriers. Pharmacy Research. 2017; 34:1416–1427. doi: 10.1007/s11095-017-2158-7
59. Sutradhar K. B. Amin M. Lutful .Nanoemulsions increasing possibilities in drug delivery. Eur Journal of Nanomedicine. 2013; 5: 97–110. doi.org/10.1515/ejnm-2013-0001
60. Karthikeyan S. Jeeva P.A. Jerobin J. Formulation and characterization of nanoemulsion coatings from azadirachta indica. International Journal of ChemTech Research. 2012; 4:1566-1570.
61. Patil H. Waghmare J. Nanoemulsion current state and perspectives. Research Journal of Topical and Cosmetic Science. 2013; 4(1): 32-40.
62. Zhao L. Yumeng W. Huang Y. Nanoemulsion improves the oral bioavailability of baicalin in rat’s in vitro and in vivo evaluation. International Journal of Nanomedicine. 2013; 8: 3769–3779. doi.10.2147/IJN.S51578
63. Harwansh K. R. Patra K.C. Pareta K. S. Nanoemulsions as vehicles for transdermal delivery of glycyrrhizin. Brazilian Journal of Pharmacy Science. 2011; 47: 769-778. doi.org/10.1590/S1984-82502011000400014
64. Delmas T. Piraux H. How to prepare and stabilize very small nanoemulsion. Langmuir. 2011; 27:1683–1692. doi.org/10.1021/la104221q
65. Eqbal A. Ansari AV. Hafeez A. Ahsan F. Imran M. Tanweer S. Recent applications of Nanoemulsion based drug delivery system. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(5):2852-2858. doi. 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00502
66. Ahmad G. Gattacecca F. Distribution and pharmacokinetic evaluations of novel taxoid DHA-SBT-1214 in an oil-in-water nanoemulsion formulation in naive and tumor-bearing Mice. Pharmacy Research. 2018; 35: 91. doi.org/10.1007/s11095-018-2349-x
67. Asija R. Patil P. Asija S. The Liquisolid Technique for Enhancement of Drug Dissolution. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2012; 5(10): 1270-1274.
68. Shah j. Nair B. A. Shery J. S. Patel K. Rakesh. Nanoemulsion based vehicle for effective ocular delivery of moxifloxacin using experimental design and pharmacokinetic Study in rabbits. Multi disciplinary Digital Publishing Institute. 2019; 11:230. doi.org/10.3390/pharmaceutics11050230
69. Khopade. Nandakumar A.J. Jain N.K. Lectin-functionalized multiple emulsions for improved cancer therapy. Journal of Drug Target. 1998; 6: 285–292. doi.org/10.3109/10611869808996836
70. Li Y. Liu J. Pan D. Hopfinger J.A. A study of the relationship between cornea permeability and eye irritation using membrane interaction QSAR analysis. Toxicol Science. 2005; 88: 434–446. doi.org/10.1093/toxsci/kfi319
71. Savardekar P. Amrita B. Nanoemulsions a review. Journal of Pharmaceutical Research International. 2016; 6: 312-322.
72. Shaji. Joshi J. Self-micro emulsifying drug delivery system (SMEDDS) for improving bioavailability of hydrophobic drugs and its potential to give sustained release dosage forms. Indian Journal of Pharmacy Education. 2005; 39: 130-5.
73. Date. Nagarsenker A.A. Parenteral microemulsion an overview. International Journal of Pharmacy 2008; 355:19-30. doi.10.1016/j.ijpharm.2008.01.004
74. Bonferoni C. M. Rossi S. Sandri G. Nanoemulsions for nose-to-brain drug delivery. Multi disciplinary Digital Publishing Institute. 2019; 11:84. doi.10.3390/pharmaceutics11020084
75. Patil PA. Bhutkar B. R. Biomedical application of nanoemulsion a features reviews. International journal of Research in Marketing. 2018; 1: 37-58.
76. Dr. R.B. Saudagar. Vaishnav S. Pharmaceutical Nanoemulsion as a Rational Carrier for Drug Delivery. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2016; 9(3): 298-304.