Hemant A. Deokule, Smita S. Pimple, Kiran C. Mahajan, Praveen D. Chaudhari
Hemant A. Deokule*, Smita S. Pimple, Kiran C. Mahajan, Praveen D. Chaudhari
Department of Pharmaceutics, P.E. Society’s Modern College of Pharmacy, Nigdi - 411044 Dist – Pune, Maharashtra, India.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 9,
Year - 2022
The objective of this work was to design and characterize liquid and solid self-emulsifying drug delivery systems (SEDDS) for poorly soluble Dolutegravir Sodium. To optimize the composition of liquid Dolutegravir Sodium-SEDDS, solubility tests, pseudoternary phase diagrams, emulsification studies and other in vitro examinations (thermodynamic stability, droplet size and zeta potential analysis) were performed. The central composite design was employed to optimize the formulation variables, Capmul MCM (oil), Tween 80 (surfactant) and Propylene glycol (co-surfactant). Liquid self-emulsifying drug delivery system was appraised for determination of self emulsifying time, globule size and drug release. TEM study confirmed the uniform oil globules of the optimized liquid formulation. The optimized liquid formulation was formulated into free-flowing powder (S-SEDDS) by adsorption on the materials like Aerosil 200, Neusilin US2 and compressed into tablets. The solid state characterization of S-SEDDS powder was performed by using DSC, PXRD and SEM to investigate the physical nature of the drug. Further, the accelerated stability studies for 6 months revealed that S-SEDDS of Dolutegravir Sodium was found to be stable without any significant change in physico-chemical properties. S-SEDDS of Dolutegravir Sodium with improved dissolution profile was successfully prepared by using Neusilin US2 as an adsorbent carrier as compared to marketed sample.
Cite this article:
Hemant A. Deokule, Smita S. Pimple, Kiran C. Mahajan, Praveen D. Chaudhari. Fabrication and Evaluation of Solid Self Emulsifying Drug Delivery System of Dolutegravir sodium by using Adsorption to Solid Carrier Techniques. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(9):4158-5. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00698
Hemant A. Deokule, Smita S. Pimple, Kiran C. Mahajan, Praveen D. Chaudhari. Fabrication and Evaluation of Solid Self Emulsifying Drug Delivery System of Dolutegravir sodium by using Adsorption to Solid Carrier Techniques. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 15(9):4158-5. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2022.00698 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-15-9-58
1. Lipinski, C.A. Poor aqueous solubility-An industry wide problem in ADME screening. Am. Pharm. Rev. 2002, 5, 82–85.
2. Rao, B.P.; Baby, B.; Durgaprasad, Y.; Rames, K.; Rajarajan, S.; Keerthi, B.; Sreedhar, C. et al Formulation and evaluation of SMEDDS with CapmulMCMfor enhanced dissolution rate of valsartan. RGUHS J. Pharm. Sci. 2013, 3, 33–40.
3. Patel, A.R.; Vavia, P.R. et al Effect of hydrophilic polymer on solubilization of fenofibrate by cyclodextrin complexation. J. Incl. Phenom. Macrocycl. Chem. 2006, 56, 247–251.
4. Vaculikova, E.; Placha, D.; Pisarcik, M.; Peikertova, P.; Dedkova, K.; Devinsky, F.; Jampilek, J. et al Preparation of risedronate nanoparticles by solvent evaporation technique. Molecules 2014, 19, 17848–17861.
5. Karim, F.T.; Kalam, A.; Anwar, R.; Miah, M.M.; Rahman, S.; Islam, A. et al Preparation and evaluation of SEDDS of simvastatin by in vivo, in vitro and ex vivo technique. Drug Dev. Ind. Pharm. 2014, 20, 1–5.
6. Salimi, A.; Zadeh, B.S.M.; Hemati, A.; Birgani, S.A. et al Design and evaluation of self emulsifying drug delivery system (SEDDS) of carvedilol to improve the oral absorption. Jundishapur J. Nat. Pharm. Prod. 2014, 9, 1–7.
7. Saritha, D.; Bose, P.; Nagaraju, R. et al Formulation and evaluation of self-emulsifying drug delivery system (SEDDS) of ibuprofen. IJPSR 2014, 5, 3511–3519.
8. Sharma, S.; Bajaj, H.; Bhardwaj, S.; Sharma, A.D.; Singh, R. et al Development and characterization of self-emulsifying drug delivery system of a poorly water soluble drug using natural oil. Acta Pol. Pharm. 2012, 69, 713–717.
9. Chopade, V.V.; Chaudhari, P.D. Development and evaluation of self-emulsifying drug delivery system for lornoxicam. IJRDPL 2013, 2, 531–537.
10. Seo, Y.G.; Kim, D.W.; Cho, K.H.; Yousaf, A.M.; Kim, D.K.; Kim, J.H.; Kim, J.O.; Yong, C.S.; Choi, H.G. et al Preparation and pharmaceutical evaluation of new tacrolimus-loaded solid self emulsifying drug delivery system. Arch. Pharm. Res. 2015, 38, 223–228.
11. Hanh, N.D.; Mitrevej, A.; Sathirakul, K.; Peunqvicha, P.; Sinchaipanid, N. Development of phyllanthin-loaded self-microemulsifying drug delivery system for oral bioavailability enhancement. Drug Dev. Ind. Pharm. 2015, 41, 207–217.
12. Qi, X.; Qin, J.; Ma, N.; Chou, X.; Wu, Z. Solid self-microemulsifying dispersible tablets of celastrol: Formulation development, characterization and bioavailability evaluation. Int. J. Pharm. 2014, 472, 40–47.
13. Vergote, G.J.; Vervate, C.; van Driessche, I.; Hoste, S.; de Smedt, S.; Demeester, J.; Jain, R.A.; Ruddy, S.; Remon, J.P. An oral controlled release matrix pellet formulation containing nanocrystalline ketoprofen. Int. J. Pharm. 2001, 219, 81–87.
14. Czajkowska-Ko´snik, A.; Sznitowska, M.; Mirkowska, K. Self-emulsifying oils for ocular drug delivery. II. In vitro release of indomethacin and hydrocortisone. Acta Pol. Pharm. 2012, 69, 309–317.
15. Cho,W.; Kim, M.S.; Kim, J.S.; Park, J.; Park, H.J.; Ch, K.H.; Park, J.S.; Hwang, S.J. Optimized formulation of solid self-microemulsifying sirolimus delivery systems. Int. J. Nanomed. 2013, 8, 1673–1682.
16. Trivedi, K.; Patel, P.V. Development and characterization of liquid and solid self emulsifying drug delivery system of fexofenadine. J. Pharm. Investig. 2013, 43, 385–394.
17. Ravula, A.R.; Nagabandi, V.; Parney, S. Encapsulation of self-emulsifying drug delivery systems (SEDDS) of lercanidipine hydrochloride into hard gelatin capsules. Int. J. Biopharm. 2014, 5, 73–82.
18. Chen, Y.; Chen, C.; Zheng, J.; Chen, Z.; Shi, Q.; Liu, H. Development of a solid supersaturatable self-emulsifying drug delivery system of docetaxel with improved dissolution and bioavailability. Biol. Pharm. Bull. 2011, 34, 278–286.
19. C.W. Pouton, W.N. Charman, The potential of oily formulations for drug delivery to the gastro-intestinal tract – preface, Adv. Drug Deliv. Rev. 1997; 25 (1):1–2.
20. Sosnik, A., Seremeta, K.P., Imperiale, J.C., Chiappetta, D.A., Novel formulation and drug delivery strategies for the treatment of pediatric poverty-related diseases. Expert Opin. Drug Deliv. 2012; 9:303–323.
21. G. Shazly, K. Mohsin, Dissolution improvement of solid self-emulsifying drug delivery systems of fenofibrate using an inorganic high surface adsorption material, Acta Pharm. 2015; 65 (1):29–42.
22. Singh AK, Chaurasiya A, Singh M, Upadhyay SC, Mukherjee R, Khar RK. Exemestane Loaded Self Microemulsifying Drug Delivery System (SMEDDS): Development and Optimization. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2008;9(2):628-634.
23. Yuen K, Julianto T, Noor A. Improved bioavailability of vitamin E with a self-emulsifying formulation. Int J Pharm. 2000:53–57
24. Beg, S., Sandhu, P.S., Batra R.S., Khurana, R.K. QbD-based systematic development of novel optimized solid self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery systems (SNEDDS) of lovastatin with enhanced biopharmaceutical performance. Drug Deliv.2015;22(6):765-784.
25. Elnaggar Y, Massik M, Abdallah O. Self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery systems of tamoxifen citrate:design and optimization. Int J Pharm. 2009;380(2):133-141.
26. Chen ZQ, Liu Y, Zhao JH, et al. Improved oral bioavailability of poorly water-soluble indirubin by a supersaturatable self-microemulsifying drug delivery system. Int J Nanomedicine 2012; 7:1115–1125.
27. Durgacharan A, D’Souza J. Formulation and evaluation of solid self micro emulsifying drug delivery system using aerosil 200 as solid carrier. Int Cur Pharma J, 2012, 1(12):414-419.
28. Rockville MD, Parkwat T, et al The United States Pharmacopeial Convention, 2007, 634-645.
29. Lieberman HA, Lachman L. et al The theory and Practice of Industrial Pharmacy. CBS Publishers. 2005; 2:pg.no.165-167,296,297.
30. Bo T , Gang C , Jian C , Cai H. Development of solid self-emulsifying drug delivery systems: preparation techniques and dosage forms. Drug Disc Today, 2008; 13:606-612.
31. Shingala Ketan et al., J of Pharma Sci and Biosci Res.2013; 3(2):77-90.
32. Indian Pharmacopoeia, Govt. of India, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. The Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission, Ghaziabad: 2018; 3: 2976-2977.