Increased wettability or solubility of nanoparticles (NPs) can greatly improve their antibacterial activities. The effect of the stabilising agent on the solubility of silver NPs (AgNPs) and their antibacterial and antifungal properties were examined in this study. Aqueous and methanolic solutions of Bauhinia racemosa plant leaf extracts were used as bioreductants for making silver NPs. The synthesised AgNPs were first identified by a change in colour from pale green to dark brown and further confirmed by surface plasmonic resonance (SPR) band at 430 nm for aqueous and 360 nm for methanolic extracts using UV-Visible spectroscopy. The size distribution of generated AgNPs in solution was examined using a DLS particle size analyzer, and it was found to be 114 and 122 nm for aqueous and methanolic extract respectively. Bauhinia racemosa AgNPs exhibited significant antibacterial and anti-fungal activities against E. coli, K. pneumonia, P. aeruginosa, S. aureus and Aspergillus niger, demonstrating that they may be utilized in the biomedicine field.
Cite this article:
K. Riazunnisa. Antimicrobial activity of Biosynthesized Silver Nanoparticles of Bauhinia racemosa leaf extracts. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(2):745-9. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00127
K. Riazunnisa. Antimicrobial activity of Biosynthesized Silver Nanoparticles of Bauhinia racemosa leaf extracts. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(2):745-9. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00127 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-2-46
1. Tiwari DK, Behari K, Sen P Application of nanoparticles in waste water treatment. World Appl Sci J 2008; 3(3): 417-433.
2. De Jong WH, Borm WHP. Drug delivery and nanoparticles: Applications and hazards. Int J of Nanomed. 2008; 3(2):133-149.
3. Sametband M, Shweky I, Banin U, Mandler D, Almog J. Application of nanoparticles for the enhancement of latent fingerprints. Chem. Commun.2007; 1142-1144.
4. Rohit M. Jamdar, Mayur N. Ghotkar, Rohit R. Mahajan, Ranjit S. Jadhav, Ganesh B. Vambhurkar, Pravin P. Honmane. Bauhinia racemosa as Natural pH Indicator. Asian J. Pharm. Ana. 2019; 9(2):89-92.
5. Kumar RS, Sivakumar T, Sundaram RS, Gupta M, Mazumdar UK. Antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of Bauhinia racemosa L. stem bark. Brazil J Medical Biolog Res 2005; 38:1015-1024.
6. Gupta M, Mazumder UK, Kumar RS, Sivakumar T. Antitumor activity and antioxidant role of Bauhinia racemosa against Ehrlich ascites carcinoma in Swiss albino mice. Acta Pharmacol Sin 2004; 25(8):1070-1076.
7. Gupta M, Mazumder UK, Kumar RS, Gomathi P, Rajeshwar Y. Anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antipyretic effects of methanol extract from Bauhinia racemosa stem bark in animal models. J Ethnopharma. 2005; 98:267-273.
8. Dahikar SB, Bhutada SA, Tambekar DH, Vibhute SK, Kasture SB. In-vitro antibacterial efficacy of solvent extracts of leaves of Bauhinia racemose Lam. (Caesalpiniaceae) against enteric bacterial pathogens. Int J Pharmac Sci Drug res 2011; 3(1):32-34.
9. Kumar G, Karthik L, Rao KVB. Phytochemical composition and invitro antimicrobial activity of Bauhinia racemose Lamk (Caesalpiniaceae). Int J Pharmac Sci Res. 2010; 1(11):51-58.
10. Mital N. Manvar. Antibacterial activity of leaves and flowers of Ipomoea aquatica Forsk. (Convolvulacea). Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2018; 8(2): 94-98.
11. Nidhi Rao, Sandhya Mittal, Sudhanshu, Ekta Menghani. Assessment of phytochemical screening, antioxidant and antibacterial potential of the methanolic extract of Ricinus communis. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2013; 3(1) 20-25.
12. Mariyappan M, Bharathidasan R, Mahalingam R, Madhanraj P, Panneerselvam A, Ambikapathy V. Antibacterial activity of Cardiospermum halicacabum and Melothria heterophylla. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2011; 1(4): 111-113.
13. Sabarinath C, Sudhakar P, Shanmuganath C. Phytochemical and antibacterial screening on leaves of Solanum torvum. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2018; 8(3):130-132.
14. Swati Paul, Dibyajyoti Saha. Comparative study of the efficacy of Barleria prionitis leaf extracts against bacteria. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2012; 2(3) 107-110.
15. Preethi Johnson, Vennila Krishnan, Chitra Loganathan, Kavitha Govindhan, Vijayan Raji, Penislusshiyan Sakayanathan, Sudha Vijayan, Palanivel Sathishkumar and Thayumanavan Palvannan. Rapid biosynthesis of Bauhinia variegata flower extract-mediated silver nanoparticles: an effective antioxidant scavenger and α-amylase inhibitor, Artific Cells, Nanomed Biotech, 2018; 46:7, 1488-1494, DOI: 10.1080/21691401.2017.1374283
16. Mukundan D, Mohankumar R, Vasanthakumari R Comparative study of synthesized silver and gold nanoparticles using leaves extract of Bauhinia tomentosa Linn and their anticancer efficacy. Bulletin of Materials Science 2017; 40: 335–344.
17. Sharmila et al. Biogenic synthesis of CuO nanoparticles using Bauhinia tomentosa leaves extract: Characterization and its antibacterial application J. Mol. Struc. 2018; 1165: 5, 288-292.
18. Chouke PB, Potbhare AK, Dadure KM et al., An antibacterial activity of Bauhinia racemosa assisted ZnO nanoparticles during lunar eclipse and docking assay, Materials Today: Proceedings, 2020; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2020.04.758
19. Anjum SM, Riazunnisa K. Catharanthus roseus leaves as a green source for facile synthesis of silver nanoparticles and their efficacy towards catalytic and adsorption kinetics studies of methylene blue dye. Res. J. Chem. Environ. 2021; 25, 1-7.
20. Chinnappan, S, Kandasamy S, Arumugam S. et al. Biomimetic synthesis of silver nanoparticles using flower extract of Bauhinia purpurea and its antibacterial activity against clinical pathogens. Environ Sci Pollut Res. 2018; 25, 963–969. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-017-0841-1
21. Ramar K, Vasanthakumar V, Priyadharsan A. et al. Green synthetic approach of silver nanoparticles from Bauhinia tomentosa Linn. leaves extract for potent photocatalytic and in vitro biological applications. J Mater Sci: Mater Electron 2018; 29, 11509–11520. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10854-018-9246-2
22. Vijayan R, Joseph S, Mathew B. Anticancer, antimicrobial, antioxidant, and catalytic activities of green-synthesized silver and gold nanoparticles using Bauhinia purpurea leaf extract. Bioprocess Biosyst Eng 2019; 42, 305–319. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00449-018-2035-8.
23. S. Sathish Kumar, G. Melchias, P. Ravikumar, R. Chandrasekar, P. Kumaravel. Bioinspired synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Euphorbia hirta leaf extracts and their antibacterial activity. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2014; 4(1): 39-43.
24. Reshma Chauhan, Charmi Patel, Jitendriya Panigrahi. Greener approach for copper nanoparticles synthesis from Catharanthus roseus and Azadirachta indica leaf extract and their antibacterial and antioxidant activities. Asian J. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2018; 8(2):81-90.
25. Saira Sehar, Amiza, I. H Khan. Role of ZnO Nanoparticles for improvement of Antibacterial Activity in Food Packaging. Asian J Pharm Res. 2021; 11(2):128-1.
26. P A Patil, B R Bhutkar, Y D Dange, S V Kharat. Screening of most Effective Nano metal between AgNP, CuNP and Ag-Cu NP’s synergistic by in vitro antibacterial comparison. Asian J. Pharm. Tech. 2016; 6(2): 81-84.
27. Anjum Mobeen S, Riazunnisa K. Fine ultrasmall ruthenium oxide nanoparticle synthesis by using Catharanthus roseus and Moringa oleifera leaf extracts and their efficacy towards in vitro assays, antimicrobial activity and catalytic adsorption studies of methylene blue dye. J Clust Sci. 2021 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10876-021-02037-0