Vijay Pradhap Singh. M, Narmadha. P, Rajamehala. M, Jeyavel Karthick. P
Vijay Pradhap Singh. M1*, Narmadha. P1, Rajamehala. M1, Jeyavel Karthick. P2
1Department of Biotechnology, Vivekanandha College of Engineering for Women (Autonomous), Elayampalayam, Tiruchengode - 637205, Tamilnadu, India.
2Department of Biotechnology, Bannari Amman Institute of Technology, Sathyamangalam – 638401, Erode District, Tamil Nadu, India.
Volume - 16,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2023
Medicinal plants have various therapeutic and nutraceutical properties from the ancient times to the current scenario. These plants have been consistently noted for the presence of its bioactive compounds which has a significant effect on human. Plants have been traditionally and extensively used to cure disease. Aegle marmelos plant belonging to Rutaceae family found in various parts of India, Srilanka, Pakistan, Burma, and Bangladesh is used in treating variety of diseases. Antioxidant and Antimicrobial activity of Methanol and Aqueous extracts was evaluated. Flower extract of A.marmelos exhibits significant antioxidant and possess antibacterial activity against E.coli, S.aureus, and K.pneumoniae. Thin Layer Chromatography was performed and the results revealed that spots were observed in crude methanol and aqueous extract.
Cite this article:
Vijay Pradhap Singh. M, Narmadha. P, Rajamehala. M, Jeyavel Karthick. P. In vitro Antioxidant and Antimicrobial Activities of Flowers Extract of Aegle marmelos. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(2):773-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00132
Vijay Pradhap Singh. M, Narmadha. P, Rajamehala. M, Jeyavel Karthick. P. In vitro Antioxidant and Antimicrobial Activities of Flowers Extract of Aegle marmelos. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(2):773-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00132 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-2-51
1. World Health Organization, Guidelines on Developing Consumer Information on Proper Use of Traditional, Complementary, and Alternative Medicine, Geneva: WHO, 2004.
2. Sanghi DK. Rakesh T. Herbal Drugs an Emerging Tool for Novel Drug Delivery Systems. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2013; 6(9): 962-966.
3. Neeli RE. Kamta PN. Pradeep KS et al. Standardization Strategies for Herbal Drugs-An Overview. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2008; 1(4): 310-312.
4. Kulkarni A. Kale M. Sarode S. Firke S. Firke B. Warke P et al. Antimicrobial Activity of Some Important Medicinal Plants of India against Some Plant and Human Pathogens. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2010; 3(3): 924 – 926.
5. Orwa C. An Introduction to Aegle marmelos. Agro Data. 2009; 4(2): 1-5.
6. Patkar Atul N. Desai N. Ranage AA. Kalekar KS. et al. A review on Aegle marmelos: a potential medicinal tree. International Research Journal of Pharmacy. 2012; 3(8): 86-91.
7. Jesudurai D. Monika R. Preparation of Silver Nanoparticles from Bael (Aegle marmelos) Leaves Extract and their Doping with Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes for Antibacterial Utility. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13(6): 2653-2657.
8. Neeraj. Vinita B. Vishal J et al. Bael (Aegle marmelos) Extraordinary Species of India: A Review. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences. 2017; 6(3): 1870-1887. http://dx.doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2017.603.213
9. Chandaka M. Hindu K, Sudeepthi CD. Maneela P. Venkat Reddy K Bhagya Sree B et al. Anti Ulcer Activity of Aqueous Extract of Aegle marmelos Leaves on Rats. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2012; 2(4): 132-135.
10. Sharma PC. Bhatia V. Bansal N. Sharma A et al. A review on bael tree. Indian J. Nat. Prod. Resour. 2007; 6(2): 171–178.
11. Savita SM. Rekha LD. Vijay DH. Snehal SS. Nilam YJ. Bhagyashri SG et al. A Systematic Review on Aegle marmelos (Bael). Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry. 2020; 12(1): 31-36. http://dx.doi.org/10.5958/0975-4385.2020.00007.2
12. Sandeep D. Ruhil S. Balhara M. Seema D. Chhillar AK et al. Aegle marmelos: A potential source of Phytomedicine. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research. 2011; 5(9):1497 – 1507.
13. Dinesh Kumar S. Gaurav K. Karthik L. Bhaskara Rao KV et al. A review on pharmacological and phytochemical properties of Aegle marmelos (L.) Corr.Serr. (Rutaceae). Asian Journal of Plant Science and Research. 2011; 1(2): 8-17.
14. Bhardwaj RL. Role of bael fruit juice in nutritional security of Sirohi tribals, Benchmark Survey Report of Sirohi Tribals, Krishi Vigyan Kendra, AU, Jodhpur 2014:11-37
15. Sanghi SB. Mushtaq S et al. Pharmacological property of Aegle marmelos as a potential medicinal tree: An Overview. International Journal of Research - Granthaalayah, 5(8), 63-66. https://doi.org/10.29121/granthaalayah.v5.i8.2017.2183
16. Arghya M. Arun Kumar S. Niyati J. Sukanya M. et al. Flowering, fruiting and physio-chemical characteristics of bael (Aegle marmelos correa.) grown in northern districts of West Bengal, Curr. J. Appl. Sci. Technol. 2017; 6 1–8, https://doi.org/10.9734/cjast/2017/36310
17. Gautam MK. Purohit V. Agarwal M. Singh A. Goel RK et al. In vivo healing potential of Aegle marmelos in excision, incision, and dead space wound models, Sci. World J. 2014, https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/740107.
18. Sabu M. Kuttan R. Antidiabetic activity of Aegle marmelos and its relationship with its antioxidant properties. Indian journal of physiology and pharmacology 2004; 48(1): 81-88.
19. Cheeseman KH. Slater TF. Free radicals in medicine. British Medical Bulletin. 1993; 49: 479-724.
20. Ayuba YM. Okoro BC. Abubakar MN. Ilesanmi E,et al. Phytochemical Constituents, Thin Layer Chromatography and Antimicrobial Activity of Methanol Extract of the Stem and Leave of Citrus Limon (L). International Journal of Biochemistry, Biophysics and Molecular Biology. 2017; 2 (4): 31-35. 10.11648/j.ijbbmb.20170204.12
21. Prithviraj Chakraborty et al. Role of Antioxidants in Common Health Diseases. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2009; 2(2): 238 -244.
22. Selvakumar K Antioxidant Assays in Pharmacological Research. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2009; 2(2): 238 -244.
23. Shoba S. Shylaja G. Uma A. Sathiavelu A. Mythili S et al. Endophytes for Antimicrobial Activity- A Review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2015; 8 (6): 742-748.
24. Mayuri CR. Dashrath DG. Dhale DA et al. Antibacterial Perspective of Extracts from fruit of Aegle marmelos in different solvents. Indian Journal of Applied Research. 2013; 3(7): 1-7.
25. Pandey A. Mishra R. Antibacterial properties of Aegle marmelos leaves, fruits and peels against various pathogens. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences. 2011; 13 (13): 1-6.