Bhagyajyothi M. Bhat, C.V. Raghuveer, Vivian D’Souza, Sandhya Ilanthodi, Poornima A. Manjrekar
Bhagyajyothi M. Bhat1, C.V. Raghuveer2, Vivian D’Souza3, Sandhya Ilanthodi4, Poornima A. Manjrekar5*
1Department of Biochemistry, Kanachur Institute of Medical Sciences, Mangalore, Karnataka, India. 575018
2Professor of Pathology, Pro Vice Chancellor, Yenepoya Deemed to be University, Mangalore, Karnataka, India. 575018.
3Department of Biochemistry, Kanachur Institute of Medical Sciences, Mangalore, Karnataka, India. 575018
4Department of Pathology, AJ Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre, Mangalore, Karnataka, India.575004
5Department of Biochemistry, Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal, Karnataka, India. 575004.
Volume - 16,
Issue - 2,
Year - 2023
Salacia oblonga (S. oblonga) is a component of several antidiabetic medications in alternative and folklore medicine. An evaluation of the hydroalcoholic root extract of S.oblonga (SOE) on the hepatocellular and pancreatic environment in the diabetic (Streptozotocin) rodent model was designed. SOE was fed in two doses for a period of 16 weeks. Regeneration of endocrine pancreas, significant increase in hepatic and pancreatic Vitamin C, reduced Glutathione (GSH), Protein thiols (PT) and decrease in Malondialdehyde (MDA measured as TBARS) and Carbonyl proteins (CP) were observed on treatment with SOE. Conversely, there was also an increase in alkaline phosphatase (ALP) and gamma glutamyl transferase (GGT). Corroborating the above findings, histopathological examination of the liver and pancreatic tissue showed disrupted architecture in treated rats. It may be suggested that SOE has a sustained hepatic antioxidant effect and improved ß-cell structure and function in diabetic rats, but the higher dose was mildly toxic to hepatocytes necessitating an exercise of caution in using SOE for therapy for prolonged periods.
Cite this article:
Bhagyajyothi M. Bhat, C.V. Raghuveer, Vivian D’Souza, Sandhya Ilanthodi, Poornima A. Manjrekar. Delayed Structure – function alterations in Pancreas and Liver of Rodent Diabetic Model treated with Salacia oblonga. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(2):879-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00149
Bhagyajyothi M. Bhat, C.V. Raghuveer, Vivian D’Souza, Sandhya Ilanthodi, Poornima A. Manjrekar. Delayed Structure – function alterations in Pancreas and Liver of Rodent Diabetic Model treated with Salacia oblonga. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(2):879-4. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00149 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-2-68
1. Domingueti CP, et al. Diabetes mellitus: The linkage between oxidative stress, inflammation, hypercoagulability and vascular complications. J Diabetes Complications. 2016 May-June; 30(4): 738-45. doi: 10.1016/j.jdiacomp.2015.12.018.
2. Yang H, et al. Oxidative stress and diabetes mellitus. Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine. 2011 Nov; 49(11): 1773-82. doi: 10.1515/CCLM.2011.250.
3. Betsy S, et al. An In-Depth Investigation of Diverse Therapeutic Benefits of Psidium guajava with Major Emphasis on Anti-Diabetic effect. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(10):5029-5036. DOI : 10.5958/0974-360X.2019.00873.4.
4. Pandeya SN, et al. Antidiabetics Review on Natural Products. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2010 April-June; 3(2):300-18.
5. He L, et al. The Ayurvedic Medicine Salacia oblonga Attenuates Diabetic Renal Fibrosis in Rats: Suppression of Angiotensin II/AT1 Signaling. Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2011; Article ID 807451. 12 pages. doi: 10.1093/ecam/nep095.
6. Musini A, et al. Phytochemicals of Salacia oblonga responsible for free radical scavenging and antiproliferative activity against breast cancer cell lines (MDA-MB-231). Physiology and Molecular Biology of Plants. 2015 Oct; 21: 583–90. doi: 10.1007/s12298-015-0317-z.
7. Muraoka O, et al. Quantitative determination of potent α-glucosidase inhibitors, salacinol and kotalanol, in Salacia species using liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry. Journal of pharmaceutical and biomedical analysis. 2010 Sep; 52(5):770-3. doi: 10.1016/j.jpba.2010.02.025.
8. Matsuda H, et al. Antidiabetic principles of natural medicines. IV. Aldose reductase and qlpha-glucosidase inhibitors from the roots of Salacia oblonga Wall. (Celastraceae): structure of a new friedelane-type triterpene, kotalagenin 16-acetate. Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 1999 Dec; 47(12): 1725-9. https://doi.org/10.1248/cpb.47.1725
9. Williams JA, et al. Extract of Salacia oblonga lowers acute glycemia in patients with type-2 diabetes. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2007 Jul; 86: 124-30. doi: 10.1093/ajcn/86.1.124.
10. Collene AL, et al. Effects of a nutritional supplement containing Salacia oblonga extract on postprandial glycemia, insulinemia and breath hydrogen responses in healthy adults. Nutrition. 2005 Jul-Aug; 21(7-8): 848-54. doi: 10.1016/j.nut.2004.11.018.
11. Certificate of analysis. Product Name: Salacia oblonga extract. Batch No: SO/07001. Quality control department, Natural Remedies Private Limited, 5B, Veerasandra Indl.Area, Hosur Road, Bangalore-560100.
12. Al-Ani M, et al. Spectrophotometric quantification of ascorbic acid contents of fruit and vegetables using the 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazine method. Journal of Food, Agriculture & Environment. 2007; 5(3&4): 165-8.
13. Castegna A, et al. Chapter 18 - Protein Carbonyl Levels— An Assessment of Protein Oxidation. From: Methods in Pharmacology and Toxicology: Methods in Biological Oxidative Stress Edited by: K. Hensley and R. A. Floyd © Humana Press Inc., Totowa, NJ 2003.161-8.
14. Butler. Estimation of Glutathione content of RBC and whole blood. Journal of Laboratory And Clinical Medicine.1963;61:882.
15. Ellman GL. Measurement of protein thiols in plasma. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics. 1959 ; 82 : 70.
16. Poornima K, et al. Oxidant and antioxidant status in vegetarians and fish eaters. Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry. 2003 Jul;18(2):197-205. doi: 10.1007/BF02867387
17. Singh NK, et al. Hydroalcoholic root bark extract of Salacia oblonga prevented mitomycin-C induced sperm abnormality in wistar rats. Pharmacognosy Magazine. 2009; 5(19): 254-59. https://www.phcog.com/text.asp?2009/5/19/254/58170.
18. Abdallah HM, et al. Phenolics from Garcinia mangostana Inhibit Advanced Glycation Endproducts Formation: Effect on Amadori Products, Cross-Linked Structures and Protein Thiols. Molecules. 2016 Feb; 21(2): 251. doi: 10.3390/molecules21020251.
19. Palani S, et al. Nephroprotective and antioxidant activities of Salacia oblonga on acetaminophen-induced toxicity in rats. Natural Product Research. 2011 Nov;25(19):1876-80. doi: 10.1080/14786419.2010.537269.
20. Yadav AV, et al. Renoprotective effect of Corallocarpus epigaea in Nephropathy in Wistar Rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020;13(7): 3163-3167. DOI : 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00559.4.
21. Pooja, et al. Hepatoprotective nature of aerial parts of Caesalpinia pulcherrima in STZ induced diabetic rat model. Research J. Pharm. and Tech..2021 14(7): 3716-20. Doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00643.
22. Arpita K, et al. Evaluation of antidiabetic and antioxidant activity of Praecitrullus fistulosusfruits in STZ induced diabetic rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2014 Feb; 7(2) : 196-203.
23. Holidah D, et al. 2021. Antidiabetic and Antidyslipidemic activity of Secang (Caesalpinia sappan L.) Wood extract on Diabetic Rat. Research J. Pharm. and Tech.2021;14(5):2801-06. DOI: 10.52711/0974-360X.2021.00494.
24. Stohs SJ, Ray S. Anti-diabetic and anti-hyperlipidemic effects and safety of Salacia reticulata and related species. Phytotherapy Research. 2015 Jul;29(7):986-95. doi: 10.1002/ptr.5382.
25. Zarybnicky T, et al. Hepatotoxicity of monoterpenes and sesquiterpenes. Archives of Toxicology. 2018 Jan; 92(1):1–13. doi: 10.1007/s00204-017-2062-2. 25.
26. Manjrekar PA, et al. Effect of Phyllanthus niruri Linn. treatment on liver, kidney and testes in CCl4induced hepatotoxic rats. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology. 2008 Jul; 46(7): 514-20.
27. Bhat BM, et al. Antidiabetic and hypolipidemic effect of Salacia oblonga in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2012 Dec; 6(10): 1685-7. doi: 10.7860/JCDR/2012/4728.2644