One-third of newly discovered drug molecules are water-insoluble, resulting in poor oral bioavailability in BCS (Biopharmaceutical Classification System). The Self Nanoemulsifying Drug Delivery System (SNEDDS) is a novel drug delivery system designed to improve the water solubility of medications that are ineffectively water soluble. It consists of an isotropic blend of oil, surfactant, and cosurfactant particles, as well as a codissolvable atom. Encapsulating a drug in SNEDDSs can lead to increased solubilization, stability in the gastro-intestinal tract, and absorption, resulting in enhanced bio-availability. The use of solid SNEDDS in the form of dry, solid powders would help to overcome the limitations of liquid SNEDDS by increasing the stability and patient compliance. Solid dosage forms are more stable and easier to handle than liquid systems, so efforts are being made to convert liquid systems to solid SNEDDS. Self-emulsification approach has been successful in oral drug delivery Spray drying, freeze drying, Micro fluidization, High Pressure Homogenizer, Sonication, and adsorption on carriers are some of the techniques that can be used to convert liquid SNEDDS into solid SNEDDS compressed into tablets. The composition of the SNEDDS can be optimized with the help of phase diagrams, whereas statistical experimental design can be used to further optimize SNEDDS. It is a novel drug delivery system that can be used for parenteral, ophthalmic, intranasal, and cosmetic drug delivery.
Cite this article:
Aishwarya Yadav, Md Semimul Akhtar. Novel Self Nanoemulsifying Drug Delivery System and its Future Perspectives. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(2):941-3. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00158
Aishwarya Yadav, Md Semimul Akhtar. Novel Self Nanoemulsifying Drug Delivery System and its Future Perspectives. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(2):941-3. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00158 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-2-77
1. Date Abhijit A, Desai Neha et.al. Self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery systems formulation insights, applications and advances. Nanomedicine. 2010; 5(10):1595-616. DOI: 1595–1616 10.2217/nnm.10.126
2. Ghadi R., Dand N. BCS class IV drugs: highly notorious candidates for formulation development. J. Control. Release. 2017; 28(248):71-95. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jconrel.2017.01.014
3. Suryani, Zubaydah Wa Ode Sitti et al. Preparation and Characterization of Self-Nanoemulsifying Drug Delivery System (SNEDDS) from Moringa oleifera L.and Cassia alata L.Leaves Extracts. AIP Conference Proceedings December. 2019; 2199(1):070011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5141325
4. Dae Hun Kim, Jae Yeol Kim et.al. Orlistat-loaded solid SNEDDS for the enhanced solubility, dissolution, and in vivo performance. Int J Nanomedicine. 2018; 13:7095–7106. Doi: 10.2147/IJN.S181175
5. Mahmood A and Bernkop-Schnürch. A: Sedds: a game changing approach for the oral administration of hydrophilic macromolecular drugs. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2019; 142:91-101. DOI: 10.1016/j.addr.2018.07.001
6. Bernkop-Schnürch A and Jalil A. Do drug release studies from SEDDS make any sense J Control Release 2018; 271:55-59, DOI: 10.1016/j.jconrel.2017.12.027
7. Chauhan NN, Patel NV et.al. Micronization of BCS Class–II Drugs by Various Approaches for Solubility Enhancement–A Review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2012; 5(8):999-1005.
8. Sharma D, Soni M et.al. Solubility enhancement–eminent role in poorly soluble drugs. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2009; 2(2):220-4.
9. Pathuri Raghuveer, A. Prameela Rani. Design Development and Characterization of Self Nano Emulsifying Drug Delivery Systems for Repaglinide. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(11):5283-5288.DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00924.
10. Sunitha RM, Sowjanya N. Formulation and in-vitro Characterization of Solid Self Nanoemulsifying Drug Delivery System (s-SNEDDS) Of Simvastatin. J. Pharm. Sci. & Res. 2015; 7(1):40-48.
11. Rani, S., Rana et.al. Self-emulsifying oral lipid drug delivery systems: Advances and challenges. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2019; 20(3):129. DOI: 10.1208/s12249-019-1335-x
12. Panner Selvam R, Kulkarni P K. Design and Evaluation of Self Nanoemulsifying Systems for Poorly Water-Soluble HIV Drug. Journal of Pharma SciTech. 2014; 4(1):24-28.
13. Udaya Sakthi M., Josephine Ritashinita, Lobo F and Kiran B. Uppulurl, Self-Nano Emulsifying Drug Delivery Systems for Oral Delivery of Hydrophobic Drugs, Biomed, and Pharmacol. J., 6(2), 2013, 355-362.
14. Gade Abhishek V, Salunkhe K S, Chaudhari S R, Gadge P B, Dighe G S, Amit Asati. A Review on, Self-Micro Emulsifying Drug Delivery system, Am. J. Pharmatech Res, 5(1), 2015, 51- 66
15. Gurjeet K, Pankaj C, Harikumar SL. Formulation Development Of Self Nanoemulsifying Drug Delivery System (SNEDDS) Of Celecoxib For Improvement Of Oral Bioavailability. Pharmacophore 2013; 4 (4): 120-133.
16. Panner Selvam R, Kulkarni P K. Design and Evaluation of Self Nanoemulsifying Systems for Poorly Water-Soluble HIV Drug. Journal of Pharma SciTech. 2014; 4(1):24-28.
17. Maulik J. Patel, Sanjay S, Patel, Natvarlal M, Patel, Madhabhai M, Patel. A SelfMicroemulsifying Drug Delivery System (SMEDDS), International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research, 4(3), 2010, 29-35.
18. Maulik J. Patel, Sanjay S, Patel, Natvarlal M, Patel, Madhabhai M, Patel. A SelfMicroemulsifying Drug Delivery System (SMEDDS), International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research, 4(3), 2010, 29-35
19. Shukla Jill B, Koli Akshay R, Ranch Ketan M and Parikh Rajesh K, Self-Micro Emulsifying Drug Delivery System, Pharma Science Monitor, An International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 1(2), 2010, 13-33.
20. Ur Rehman Fiza, Ullah Shah Kifayat, Shefaat Ullah Shah, Ikram Ullah Khan and Gul Majid Khan. From nanoemulsions to self-nanoemulsions, with recent advances in self-Nanoemulsifying drug delivery systems (SNEDDS). Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery 2016: 1744-7593
21. Raj Kumar Mishra, Soni G C, Mishra R P. A Review Article, On Nanoemulsion, World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2014; 3(9): 258-274.
22. Daniélle van Staden, Jeanetta du Plessis et al, Development of Topical/Transdermal -Emulsifying Drug Delivery Systems, Not as Simple as Expected Sci. Pharm. 2020; 88:17.
23. Reddy SM, Reddy MS, Reddy NR, Reddy OM. Formulation and evaluation of novel lipid based solid self-nano emulsifying drug delivery system of repaglinide. Int J Pharm Sci 2014; 6:106-10.
24. Singh B, Garg B, Kaur R, Jain A, Kumar R, Katare OP. Self-nanoemulsifying systems for oral bioavailability enhancement. In: Fabrication and Self-Assembly of Nano Biomaterials. Punjab University: William Andrew; 2016. p. 91-115.
25. Muthadi Radhika Reddy, Kumar Shiva Gubbiyappa A Comprehensive Review on Supersaturable Self-Nanoemulsifying Drug Delivery System Asian J Pharm Clin Res, Vol 14, Issue 8, 2021, 40-44.
26. Singh B, Bandopadhyay S, Kapil R, Singh R, Katare O. Self-emulsifying Drug Delivery Systems (SEDDS): Formulation Development, Characterization, and Applications. Crit Rev Ther Drug. 2009:427-521 DOI: 10.1615/critrevtherdrugcarriersyst.v26.i5.10
27. https://www.pharmaexcipients.com/bioavailability-enchancement/lipophilic-compounds-sedds/ date: 08/11/2021
28. Xiao-Lei Qiu, Zi-Rui Fan, et.al Preparation and Evaluation of a Self-Nanoemulsifying Drug Delivery System Loaded with Heparin Phospholipid Complex Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2021; 22(8):4077. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms22084077
29. Manish Kumar, Ram Singh Bishnoi et al. Techniques for Formulation of Nanoemulsion Drug Delivery System: A Review, Prev Nutr Food Sci. 2019;24(3):225–234, DOI: 10.3746/pnf.2019.24.3.225
30. Singh Dilpreet. Self-nanoemulsifying Drug Delivery System: A Versatile Carrier for Lipophilic Drugs, PharmaceuticalNanotechnology. 2021; 9(3): 166-176. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2174/2211738509666210422124023
31. Shah R.B., Zidan A.S. et.al International Journal of Pharmaceutics. 16 August 2007; 341(1–2);189-194. DOI:6 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpharm.2007.04.009
32. Balakrishnan P, Lee BJ, Oh DH, Kim JO, Hong MJ, Jee JP, Kim JA, Yoo BK, Woo JS, Yong CS, Choi HG. Enhanced oral bioavailability of dexibuprofen by a novel solid self-emulsifying drug delivery system (SEDDS). European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics. 2009; 72(3):539-45.
33. Narkhede RS, Gujar KN, et.al. Design and evaluation of self-nano emulsifying drug delivery systems for nebivolol hydrochloride. Asian J Pharm Sci.2014; 8(3):200-09.
34. Jia B, Zhang Z, Chen MH, et.al. Effect of liquid oils on the properties of multiple emulsions containing liquid crystals. J. Dispersion Sci. Technol. 2017; 38(6):876-82.
35. Amrutkar Chetan, Salunkhe Kishor, Chaudhari Sanjay. Study on Self-Nano Emulsifying Drug Delivery System of Poorly Water-Soluble Drug Rosuvastatin Calcium. World Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2014; 03(4): 2137- 2151.
36. Vanita Sagar S and Subhashini N J P. Novel Self-Nanoemulsion Drug Delivery System of Fenofibrate with Improved Bio-Availability. Int J Pharm Bio Sci, April. 2013; 4(2):511-521.
37. Janani SK, R. Suresh Kumar, Chenmala Karthika, Vasanthi C, Shaik Rafi Kapoor. Study on Formulation development and shelf life indicating stability of Artesunate loaded Selfnanoemulsifying Drug Delivery System. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2019; 12(7):3228-3236.
38. Saroj Soumya, Baby Doney Alex, et.al. Current Trends In Lipid Based Delivery Systems And Its Applications In Drug Delivery. Asian J Pharm Clin Res. 2012; 5(3):4-9.
39. Md. Sarfaraz Alam, Pankaj Sharma. Stability Study of Clobetasol Propionate Loaded Tea Tree Oil Nanoemulsion as Per ICH Guidelines. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2016; 9(11):1999-2004.
40. Wasim Khan1, Vaseem Ahmad Ansari et.al Self-Nano Emulsifying Drug delivery system (SNEEDS) for Ocular Administration Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2020; 13(11):5576-5582. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2020.00973.7
41. Choudhary Pinki, Aparna C, et.al. Formulation and Evaluation of Zaltoprofen Nanoemulsion Gel. IJPT. 2014;6(2):6552-6571
42. More H.N; Hazare A.A. Practical Pharmaceutics (Physical Pharmacy) Manas Prakashan, Kolhapur, 1, 2014; 86 -105.
43. Dr. M. Sunitha Reddy; N. Sowjanya. Formulation and in-vitro Characterization of Solid Self Nanoemulsifying Drug Delivery System (s-SNEDDS) Of Simvastatin. J. Pharm. Sci. and Res. 2015;7(1),40-48
44. Mrs. Saifee Maria; Sharda Zarekar; Dr. Vinay.U Rao; Zaheer Zahid; Soni Reshma; Burande Shailesh. Formulation and In vitro evaluation of solid-self-emulsifying drug delivery system (SEDDS) of Glibenclamide. American journal of advanced drug delivery.2013;1O(3):323-340
45. Wasim Khan, Dr. Vaseem Ahmad Ansari et.al. Nanoemulsion: A Droplet Nanocarrier System for Enhancing Bioavailability of Poorly Water-Soluble Drugs Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018;11(11):5191-5196. DOI: 10.5958/0974-360X.2018.00948.4
46. Abhijit A Date1, Neha Desai et.al. Self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery systems: formulation insights, applications and advances Nanomedicine, 2010;5(10):1595-616. DOI: 10.2217/nnm.10.126