Das Saumya, Mazumder Avijit, Gautam Anamaika, Nashra, Hrithik Gupta
Das Saumya*, Mazumder Avijit, Gautam Anamaika, Nashra, Hrithik Gupta
Noida Institute of Engineering and Technology, Pharmacy Institute, Knowledge Park-II, Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh, 201306.
Volume - 16,
Issue - 3,
Year - 2023
Background: Nutraceutical potentiality of the plants on the basis of their efficacy and huge phytochemicals present in the aerial parts of Caryota urens(flowers) and Hyophorbe lagenicaulis(leaves) were taken as the background of the study. Aim: The present study investigated the nutraceutical activity and nephroprotective potentiality of Caryota urens flowers and Hyophorbe lagenicaulis leaves against cisplatin and gentamycin induced nephrotoxicity were performed. Materials and Methods: The extract of Caryota urens flowers and Hyophorbe lagenicaulis leaves were screened for preliminary phytochemical analysis,in vitro antioxidant activity andin vivo acute toxicity test was also performed by following OECD guideline 420. In vivo screening for cisplatin and gentamycin induced nephrotoxicity preclinically were also done. Result: It was found that CUFE and HLLE (1:1) suspension administered orally to the albino Wistar rats, no major side effects were seen in any of the experimental animal. The findings obtained from the experimental data were showed that the effect of CUFE and HLLE as potent nutraceuticals in cisplatin and gentamycin induced nephrotoxicity was significant (**p<0.001). Conclusion: These findings concluded that the CUFE and HLLE (1:1) have potent bioactive phyto-pharmaceuticals and natural source of antioxidants present with them. Both the plants have nutritionally rich source of dietary food supplements and due to this they are also helpful in successfully managing commercial drugs induced nephrotoxicity.
Cite this article:
Das Saumya, Mazumder Avijit, Gautam Anamaika, Nashra, Hrithik Gupta. Amelioration of Cisplatin and Gentamicin Induced Kidney Damage by Caryota urens and Hyophorbe lagenicaulis. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(3):1274-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00210
Das Saumya, Mazumder Avijit, Gautam Anamaika, Nashra, Hrithik Gupta. Amelioration of Cisplatin and Gentamicin Induced Kidney Damage by Caryota urens and Hyophorbe lagenicaulis. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(3):1274-2. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00210 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-3-46
1. Cencic A, Walter C. The role of functional foods, nutraceuticals, and food supplements in intestinal health.Nutrients. 2010; 2(6): 611-625.
2. Kennedy DO, Wightman EL. Herbal extracts and phytochemicals: plant secondary metabolites and the enhancement of human brain function.Advances in Nutrition. 2011; 2(1): 32-50.
3. Das L, Bhaumik E, Raychaudhuri U, Chakraborty R. Role of nutraceuticals in human health. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2012; 49(2): 173-183.
4. Keservani, RK, Sharma AK, Ahmad F, Baig ME. Nutraceutical and functional food regulations in India. In Nutraceutical and Functional Food Regulations in the United States and Around the World. 2014; 327-342.
5. El Sohaimy SA. Functional foods and nutraceuticals-modern approach to food science.World Applied Sciences Journal. 2012; 20(5): 691-708.
6. Vaishnavi R, SuneethaV. Phytochemical analysis on Caryota urens (fishtail palm) fruit from VIT university campus for pharmaceutical use.Der Pharmacia Lettre. 2013; 5(3): 71-75.
7. Kumar S, Poya JK, Soni VK, NemaS. Caryota urens A Potential Species for Livelihood Support of Rural People in Bastar Region of Chhattisgarh. Life Sciences Leaflets. 2012;29 (2): 34-40.
8. Srivastav AK, SinghRS. Manimegalai, Rajeswari VD. Identification of flavonoids in methanolic extract of Caryota urens (fish tail palm): a phytochemical screening involving structure analysis by FTIR spectroscopy. Research Journal of Phytochemistry. 2015; 9(3): 127-136.
9. Umberto C. Antioxidant use in nutraceuticals.Clinics in Dermatology.2009; 27(2): 175-194.
10. Patel MR, Panchal HS, Saluja AK. Pharmacognostic and Phytochemical Evaluation of Caryota Urens Leaf. International Research Journal of Pharmacy. 2016; 7(7): 50-53.
11. Asmussen L, Conny B, Michael M, Michael FF. Conservation genetics of the critically endangered Round Island bottle palm, Hyophorbe lagenicaulis (Arecaceae): can cultivated stocks supplement a residual wild population? Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society. 2011; 167(3): 301-310.
12. Lewis CE., Barboza NM. Identity of the Hyophorbelagenicaulis palms at the Botanical Garden of Cienfuegos, Cuba.Palms.2000; 44(2): 93-97.
13. Wimalasiri GEM, RanasingheP, Gunaratne DMA, Arachchi LPV. Antioxidant and anti-diabetic properties of Caryota urens (Kithul) flour. .Procedia Food Science. 2016; 6(3): 181-185.
14. Sarasan V, RamsayM, Roberts A. In vitro germination and induction of direct somatic embryogenesis in 'Bottle Palm'[Hyophorbe lagenicaulis (L. Bailey) HE Moore], a critically endangered Mauritian palm. Plant Cell Reports. 2002; 20(12): 1107-1111.
15. Vaishnavi R, Suneetha V. Phytochemical analysis on Caryota urens (fishtail palm) fruit from VIT university campus for pharmaceutical use. Der Pharmacia Lettre. 2013; 5(3): 71-75.
16. Hasan MMH. Chemical constituents from the base leaves of Caryota urens (Palmae). IOSR Journal of Applied Chemistry. 2013; 5(5): 05-12.
17. Sujitha B, Kripa KG. Comparative evaluation of antioxidant activity and liquid chromatography–Mass spectrometry-based phytochemical profiling of various biological parts of Caryota urens. Pharmacognosy Magazine. 2018; 14(59): 665-669.
18. Amzad HM, AL-Raqmi KAS, Al-Mijizy ZH, Weli AM, Al-Riyami Q. Study of total phenol, flavonoids contents and phytochemical screening of various leaves crude extracts of locally grown Thymus vulgaris. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. 2013; 3(9): 705-710.
19. Sulaiman CT, Balachandran I. Total phenolics and total flavonoids in selected Indian medicinal plants. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2012; 74(3): 258-262.
20. Charles A, Joseph M, Ramani AV, Joseph S, Nadu T. Quantitative estimation of primary and secondary metabolites on flowers of Caryota urens. L. International Journal of Applied Biology and Pharmaceutical Technology. 2011; 3(5): 431-435.
21. Dransfield John. Hyophorbe lagenicaulis Palmae. Curtis's Botanical Magazine. 1996; 13(4): 186-190.
22. Wijesinghe JAAC, Wicramasinghe I, Saranandha K. Physico-Chemical Properties of Flour from Tapped and Non-Tapped Kithul (Caryota urens) Trees in Kandy, Sri Lanka.Life Sciences International Research Journal.2015; 2(1): 105-113.
23. Sahab UM, Mamun AA, Khanum S, Yesmin B, Md Shah A. Analysis of in vitro antioxidant activity of Caryota urens L. leaves: A traditional natural remedy. Journal of Coastal Life Medicine. 2016; 4(6): 483-484.
24. Arul AD, SivasudhaT, Kumar AR, Jeyadevi R, Aseervatham SB. Chemical constituents, in vitro antioxidant and antimicrobial potential of Caryota urens L. Free Radicals and Antioxidants. 2013; 3(2): 107-112.
25. Wijesinghe JAAC, Wicramasinghe I, Saranandha KH. Kithul flour (Caryota urens) as a potential flour source for food industry.American Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2015; 3(1): 10-18.
26. Ranasinghe P, Premakumara GAS, Wijayarathna CD, Ratnasooriya WD. Antioxidant activity of Caryota urens L. (Kithul) sap. Tropical Agricultural Research. 2012; 23(2):117-125.
27. Azam S, Md Mahmud, Md Naquib, Hossain SM, Alam MN, Md Uddin, Sajid I, Hossain MS, Md Karim, Md Hasan. In vitro anti-oxidant and anti-microbial potentiality investigation of different fractions of Caryota urens leaves. Biomedicines. 2016; 4 (3): 17-21.
28. Wijesinghe JAAC, Wicramasinghe I, SaranandhaK H. Variance of Granular Morphology in Kithul (Caryota urens) Flour among Five Different Growing Areas in Sri Lanka. International Journal of Multidisciplinary Studies.2015; 2(1): 73-78.
29. Luyckx VA, Naicker S. Acute kidney injury associated with the use of traditional medicines. Nature Clinical Practice Nephrology. 2008; 4(12): 664-671.
30. Pabla N, Dong Z. Cisplatin nephrotoxicity: mechanisms and renoprotective strategies. Kidney International. 2008; 73(9): 994-1007.
31. Yaman İ, BalikciE. Protective effects of Nigella sativa against gentamycin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats.Experimental and Toxicologic Pathology.2010; 62(2): 183-190.
32. Ali BH. Gentamycin nephrotoxicity in humans and animals: some recent research. General Pharmacology: The Vascular System. 1995; 26(7): 1477-1487.
33. Mariellen D, Luft FC, Yum MN, Williams SD, Einhorn LH. Longterm effect of Cis‐Diamminedichloride platinum (CDDP) on renal function and structure in man.Cancer.1978; 41(4): 1274-1281.
34. Gonzalez‐Vitale, Juan C, Hayes DM, Cvitkovic E, Sternberg SS. The renal pathology in clinical trials of cis‐platinum (II) diammine dichloride.Cancer.1977; 39(4): 1362-1371.
35. Friedman MH, Andreu MG, Quintana HV, McKenzie M. Hyophorbe lagenicaulis, Bottle Palm.EDIS. 2010; 3(4):34.
36. Seena KX, SettyMM. Protective effect of Phytochemicals against Cisplatin induced Nephrotoxicity. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021; 14(7):3981-3986.
37. Wani A, Chaudhary J, Jain A. A Study to evaluate the combined effect of cromolyn Sodium and Fenofibrate in Gentamicin induced Nephropathy. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13(7): 3215-3220.
38. Nadimohamed N, Mahmoud B, Abdel-Reheim ES, Abdel-Moneim A.Olive and Basil leave extracts protect against Ibuprofen induced Nephrotoxicity in Albino Rats. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2020; 13(9):4190-4194.
39. RajasekaranA, SivagnanamG, XavierR. Nutraceuticals as therapeutic agents: A Review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2008; 1(4): 171-174.
40. Shinde N, Bangar B, Deshmukh S, Kumbhar P. Nutraceuticals: A Review on current status. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2014; 7(1): 110-113.
41. Archana AB, A Khale A. An approach to a Nutraceutical. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2013; 6(10): 1161-1164.
42. Taiwade R, Walke S, Pise SA, Pise AG. Formulation and Evaluation of Nutraceutical Rejuvenator for sports persons. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019; 12(8):3903-3910. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2019.00672.3.