Ratna Dwi Jayanti, Ivon Diah Wittiarika, Rize Budi Amalia, Baksono Winardi, Sri Winarsih, I Wayan Arsana Wiyasa
Ratna Dwi Jayanti1, Ivon Diah Wittiarika1, Rize Budi Amalia1, Baksono Winardi2, Sri Winarsih3, I Wayan Arsana Wiyasa4
1School of Midwifery, Faculty of Medicine, Airlangga University, Surabaya, Indonesia.
2Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Dr. Soetomo General Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Airlangga University, Surabaya, Indonesia.
3Pharmacy Study Program, Faculty of Medicine, Brawijaya University, Malang, Indonesia.
4Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Syaiful Anwar General Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Brawijaya University, Malang, Indonesia.
Volume - 16,
Issue - 5,
Year - 2023
Depomedroxyprogesterone acetate (DMPA) is a widely used progestin based contraception. The long term use of this contraception could be unpleasant including the disruption of ovarian hormonal production resulting the excessive oxidative stress. Oxidative stress affects the entire reproductive organ including uterus and ovaries even after the reproductive lifespan finished (menopause). Oxidative stress result as an imbalance between pro-oxidant and antioxidant level. Moringa oleifera leaves extract is known to have a high antioxidant compound such as flavonoid, fenolic, saponin, steroid, tannin, and terpenoid. This antioxidant activity has been displayed by the increase of antioxidant enzyme such as glutathione (GSH), sodium dismutase (SOD), catalase, and also significantly reduce the lipid peroxidation process. Previous studies have been explained the function of this antioxidant to reproductive organ. Despite of this, the SODand apoptotic rate of ovarian granulosa cells have not yet been explored in the aqueous extraction of Moringa oleifera leaves. Sodium dismutaseis the main antioxidant enzyme with the central role in stress oxidative elimination. Meanwhile the apoptoticrate in the ovarian granulosa cells reflects the damage in the ovarian tissuethus reduce reproduction performance. In this report, we investigated the effect of Moringa oleifera leaves aqueous extract on SOD antioxidant using spectrophotometry SOD assay kit in DMPA exposed rats model. In addition, the apoptotic index in the granulosa ovarian cell was also assessed. We showed thatadministration of moringa oleifera leaves aqueous extract with the dose dependent manner would significantly increase the SOD level in the DMPA exposed rats model. Moreover, the increased of this antioxidant dose was dramatically reduced the apoptotic index in the ovarian granulosa cell. This result confirmed the high effect of moringa oleifera leaves aqueous extract as the potential plant to reduce oxidative stress with the huge impact on the reproductive organ.
Cite this article:
Ratna Dwi Jayanti, Ivon Diah Wittiarika, Rize Budi Amalia, Baksono Winardi, Sri Winarsih, I Wayan Arsana Wiyasa. The effect of Moringa leaves aqueous extract to Ovarian sodium dismutase and Apoptotic index in rats treated with depomedroxyprogesterone acetate. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(5):2103-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00345
Ratna Dwi Jayanti, Ivon Diah Wittiarika, Rize Budi Amalia, Baksono Winardi, Sri Winarsih, I Wayan Arsana Wiyasa. The effect of Moringa leaves aqueous extract to Ovarian sodium dismutase and Apoptotic index in rats treated with depomedroxyprogesterone acetate. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology 2023; 16(5):2103-6. doi: 10.52711/0974-360X.2023.00345 Available on: https://www.rjptonline.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-16-5-4
1. J T. Contraceptive failure in the United States. Contraception. 2011;83(5):397-404.
2. Hu X-Q, Song R, Zhang L. Effect of Oxidative Stress on the Estrogen-NOS-NO-K<sub>Ca</sub> Channel Pathway in Uteroplacental Dysfunction: Its Implication in Pregnancy Complications. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity. 2019;2019:9194269.
3. Shi L ZJ, Lai Z, et al. Long-Term Moderate Oxidative Stress Decreased Ovarian Reproductive Function by Reducing Follicle Quality and Progesterone Production. PLoS One. 2016;11(9):e0162194.
4. Vergara-Jimenez M AM, Fernandez ML. Bioactive Components in Moringa oleifera Leaves Protect against Chronic Disease. Antioxidants (Basel). 2017;6(4):91.
5. YH. Therapeutic potentials of superoxide dismutase. Int J Health Sci (Qassim). 2018;12(3):88-93.
6. Zeng B LJ, Wang P, et al. The beneficial effects of Moringa oleifera leaf on reproductive performance in mice. Food Sci Nutr. 2019;7(2):738-46.
7. Rueden CT SJ, Hiner MC, et al. Image J2: Image J for the next generation of scientific image data. BMC Bioinformatics. 2017;18(1):529.
8. Heffron R AS, Dorflinger LJ, et al. Pharmacokinetic, biologic and epidemiologic differences in MPA- and NET-based progestin-only injectable contraceptives relative to the potential impact on HIV acquisition in women. Contraception. 2019;99(4):199-204.
9. Faddah LM A-RM, Abdel-Hamid NM, Bakeet AA. Oxidative stress, lipid profile and liver functions in average Egyptian long term depo medroxy progesterone acetate (DMPA) users. Molecules. 2005;10(9):1145-52.
10. Marc A. Fritz LS. Clinical Gynecology Endocrinology and Infertility. New York: Lippincott William & Wilkins; 2011. 1060-93 p.
11. White RE GR, Barman SA, Han G. Estrogen and oxidative stress: A novel mechanism that may increase the risk for cardiovascular disease in women. Steroids. 2009;75(11):788-93.
12. Karim NU SU, Razak MRM, Zainol MKM, Abdullah MI. Effects of moringa leaves (Moringa oleifera) extraction on quality changes and melanosis of giant freshwater prawn (Macrobrachium rosenbergii) during chilled storage. Ital J Food Saf. 2018;7(3):6846.
13. Sreelatha S PP. Antioxidant Activity and Total Phenolic Content of Moringa oleifera Leaves in Two Stages of Maturity. Plant foods for human nutrition. 2009;64(303).
14. Obembe OO RY. Effects of aqueous extract of Moringa oleifera seed on cadmium-induced reproductive toxicity in male Wistar rats. Afr Health Sci.18(3):653-63.
15. Lobo V PA, Phatak A, Chandra N. Free radicals, antioxidants and functional foods: Impact on human health. Pharmacogn Rev. 2010;4(8):118-26.
16. Kahl R KA, Wätjen W, Chovolou Y. Antioxidant enzymes and apoptosis. Drug Metab Rev. 2004;36(3-4):747-62.